IGNORED

Is Your Handicap Accurate?

RetiredOldMan
Note: This thread is 1114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a few years away from the game and despite me putting in three cards the club chose to give me my handicap from 4 or 5 years previous.  It’s taken a while to get anywhere near it, mine wasn’t accurate but probably is now, but hopefully will soon be lower

• Administrator

If you play and post solo rounds (within the U.S.), then no.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/3/2019 at 3:49 PM, David in FL said:

I can’t tell you the number of golfers who “drive the ball 280”, that I outdrive at 230.  :-D

They could be telling the truth if they are hitting it downwind, and downhill during a drought

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

22 hours ago, iacas said:

If you play and post solo rounds (within the U.S.), then no.

Not legal, but completely accurate. More accurate than those that play those rounds and don't log them (like you are supposed to). Out of the 25 rounds on my handicap spreadsheet, I would say that 13 or so were solo rounds. I don't think this makes my handicap any less accurate, but I would say that it is less valid.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Not legal, but completely accurate. More accurate than those that play those rounds and don't log them (like you are supposed to). Out of the 25 rounds on my handicap spreadsheet, I would say that 13 or so were solo rounds. I don't think this makes my handicap any less accurate, but I would say that it is less valid.

🤝

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Hmmmm?

Posting solo rounds makes your handicap both less accurate and invalid. A proper handicap does not include solo rounds.

Do not post your solo rounds.

Keep track of them in a spreadsheet if you want or something, but don't post them to GHIN or your handicapping association.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hmmmm?

Posting solo rounds makes your handicap both less accurate and invalid. A proper handicap does not include solo rounds.

Keep track of them in a spreadsheet if you want or something, but don't post them to GHIN or your handicapping association.

Bonvivant, 3 years ago you would have been golden.  For your solo rounds try this app:  Info Talk Handicap.  It won't get you into tournaments requiring a handicap but it's a good substitute so you know where you stand on your solo rounds combined with your qualifying rounds.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hmmmm?

I don't believe that it makes it less accurate, but more accurate. Can you explain your reasoning logically? "Because it is against the rules" isn't a valid reason. 

31 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Bonvivant, 3 years ago you would have been golden.  For your solo rounds try this app:  Info Talk Handicap.  It won't get you into tournaments requiring a handicap but it's a good substitute so you know where you stand on your solo rounds combined with your qualifying rounds.

I don't keep an official handicap, but I would argue that you should count every serious round played for an accurate handicap

Edited by Bonvivant
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I don't believe that it makes it less accurate, but more accurate. Can you explain your reasoning logically? "Because it is against the rules" isn't a valid reason.

First, it is a valid reason. A handicap has certain rules that are to be followed, so by breaching those rules, you're not creating a handicap.

But, my other reason is this: a handicap is only ever used in competitions, and in competitions you're playing against people. Rounds take longer, you're playing with someone else, etc. So, rounds played under conditions more like the way the handicap will ultimately be used are more accurate.

This isn't an opinion; it's literally the law of the land.

If you want to track your handicap for the purposes of seeing how you're doing (not the purpose of a handicap), keep it in a spreadsheet or something.

That all said, I don't really care what you do. I'm only telling you what the rules are and what the reasons are.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

First, it is a valid reason. A handicap has certain rules that are to be followed, so by breaching those rules, you're not creating a handicap.

But, my other reason is this: a handicap is only ever used in competitions, and in competitions you're playing against people. Rounds take longer, you're playing with someone else, etc. So, rounds played under conditions more like the way the handicap will ultimately be used are more accurate.

This isn't an opinion; it's literally the law of the land.

If you want to track your handicap for the purposes of seeing how you're doing (not the purpose of a handicap), keep it in a spreadsheet or something.

That all said, I don't really care what you do. I'm only telling you what the rules are and what the reasons are.

Fair enough. I use the handicap I keep to track progress in my own game. I don't think that it is inaccurate for what I need. I don't use ghin or anything official. I'm sure there are plenty of people that do it that way or other manipulations that are far more nefarious. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Fair enough. I use the handicap I keep to track progress in my own game. I don't think that it is inaccurate for what I need. I don't use ghin or anything official. I'm sure there are plenty of people that do it that way or other manipulations that are far more nefarious. 

Then you're not really keeping track of a handicap, in which case… you're just doing the "keep it in a separate spreadsheet" thing that I said. So, all good.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Then you're not really keeping track of a handicap, in which case… you're just doing the "keep it in a separate spreadsheet" thing that I said. So, all good.

Correct. I was only saying that I believe it to be more accurate to how I will play since I include all rounds. I get what you are saying with playing with people being part of it. 

On 10/6/2019 at 1:22 AM, Killa said:

Well that’s not necessarily true.  If he hit the ball way left on a dogleg right hole he might as well elongated the hole for himself. On a straight hole that can’t be the case of course. 

This was NOT the case in the example I quoted. I've played this game over 50 years. Don't you think I know the LONG way around a dogleg?

I would have to say my handicap is pretty accurate.  Currently it is at 14 on the board.  Depending on my day, play between an 8 to about 18/20.  Little bit of practice and regular play sees me in high single to low double digits.  And yes, I follow all the rules.  I guess it is just what was drilled into me by my parents when I started golf.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

To me, the idea of "accuracy" has to be defined.  There are 6 different ways of calculating a handicap around the world.  Is one more accurate than the others?  Who can say whether using the best 8 of 20 scores is more "accurate" than using 10 of 20, or using a "ratchet" system like they do in England?  Is it more accurate to count only competition scores, or only stroke-play scores, or to include all formats, and casual rounds as well as competition?  

A handicap is intended to make competition between golfers of different abilities reasonably fair.  The only way to make that happen is to abide by the rules, wherever you are.  So to me, an accurate handicap is one where the player plays and posts scores in accordance with the rules in his jurisdiction.  

By that definition, my handicap is accurate.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 1114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!