IGNORED

How Many Golf Balls Do You Lose Each Round?

Note: This thread is 1630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many golf balls will you lose each round of 18 holes?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How many golf balls do you "normally" lose per round of 18 holes?

• 0 ... I never lose a ball.
    • 1-2 per round
    • 3-5 per round
    • 6-10 per round
    • More than 10 golf balls per round

The way I've been going, it really could be any of the answers depending on where I am and how lousy I'm playing. 

This time last year, I would have answered 3-5 on average. Almost never on one course. As many as three or four on another. 

Now, I have no idea how many I'll lose until I get to the course and take some swings. On good days, it will be about like last year. But on my bad days, it could be a lot more if I'm playing the wrong course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My home course has water on 17 of 18 holes.  I usually lose one ball, to the water.  Not in the woods or rough.  Sometimes I lose none.  Sometimes I lose more, but that's when I happen to 3-putt, get a little ticked, and toss my ball into the greenside pond.  Better a ball than the putter.

15 minutes ago, Philco said:

Do I get to count the balls lost by others I find against the ones I lose forever to net out my total ?  🙄

Not for purposes of this thread, but it's a stat I like to keep in mind as I go.

Gotta love being on the plus side when it happens.

Edited by mcanadiens
  • Like 1

I loose 1 ball in average after 3..4 rounds. That 0,30 balls per round. 
Good course management i guess. 

Edited by p1n9183

5 minutes ago, geo63 said:

I marked 1 - 2 but probably a little less than that. Once in awhile in the water. Usually in someone's backyard. 

I once "lost" a brand new Titleist, just put into play, in an eco-sensitive area at Bandon Dunes.  It was 6 feet in, right there, totally in view, and my caddie wouldn't let me take one step in to retrieve it.  And I'd been plying him with a single-malt scotch from my flask throughout the round.  Ungrateful SOB.  Actually a good guy, I totally understood (though it was painful), and tipped him well.  Requested him the next day for Pacific Dunes.

• iacas changed the title to How Many Golf Balls Do You Lose Each Round?

Playing an unfamiliar course, I can lose a few, but on a course I know I plan accordingly and may lose 1-2 on bad shots. 

Yesterday, hitting a 180 yard 2nd shot on par 5 into a peninsula green...pulled it into the water instead of pushing it into the green side bunker. S..t happens 🙂

When I voted:

13.16% .....Never looses a ball

13.16% .... Lose 3-5 balls per round

Hmmm, the same group that never loses a ball is the same as the group that loses 3-5 balls per round. (Maybe the players that never lose a ball is on the front nine, but they lose  3-5 balls on the back nine.) 😄 

Just sayin. 

BTW, I am in the 73.68% group

Retired Old Man

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

I usually don't lose a ball very often. If I play a ball for two rounds I drop it in a box in the clubhouse where they sell golf balls found out on the course. There is a course in a neighboring state where I almost never finish with the ball I started with! I have lost four balls there in one round and two balls on a few occasions. 

On 10/3/2019 at 1:59 PM, Philco said:

Do I get to count the balls lost by others I find against the ones I lose forever to net out my total ?  🙄

Absolutely.  If you start the round with 12 balls, and finish with 15, you were 3 over for the day.  Conversely, if you start with 12 and finish with 9...you are 3 under.  In other words:  the more time you spend looking for (and finding) golf balls...the worse you played.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 10/3/2019 at 8:55 AM, pganapathy said:

Depends on my day.  Certain days none at all, certain days a couple.  I picked 1-2 cos that would probably be the average.  The funny thing is I probably lose more good and new balls than old ones 🤷‍♀️

I feel your pain. There’s just something about new balls that the hazards find so attractive...

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I usually start off with an older ball as we have a couple of tough starting holes but sometimes the ball survives. I cringe when I get to 18 and realize the ball is still in play.  As soon as I think that it's almost like the ball decides "enough of this guy playing with me"  and away it goes, lol

On 10/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, Piz said:

It depends on the course I am playing and the playing conditions.  Today, four egg sample, I lost 4.  The course was baked to an extent I've never experienced.  A normal good shot might roll out forever.  I hit 4 approach shots that disappeared into the ether.

Fall is coming.  When the course is covered in leaves we "lose" balls all the time: right down the middle...never see it again.  

Normally I direct one, or two, injudiciously.  I'm okay with that.

"Four egg sample"? I'm praying that's a joke, and knowing you, it is! 

This year I played in my second consecutive "Greatest Golfer of the Year" tourney in my local area. Our second day, we seniors were able to play Avalon Lakes. A Pete Dye design, and the hardest golf course I have ever played. And I've played Spyglass Hill on the Monterey peninsula!

After the round, I hit the bar and ordered a pint of an adult beverage. Going out on the patio I found a couple of guys I used to play with in a league many years ago. They invited me to sit, and we conversed. One guy asked me how many balls I lost out there! I could honestly tell him that I played the entire round with one ball! He had lost a couple to the water. Neither of us made the cut. 

I usually lose about zero balls per round! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

I used to lose 5 or 6 a round, now I’d say 1 or 2. There is nothing more frustrating than not being able to find a ball that you should easily find. That happens me a lot

Note: This thread is 1630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!