IGNORED

Playing With A Half Set

83tobeat

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread...

I’m playing with a half set on Thursday at Memorial Park here in Houston. Going with D, 3H, 5I, 7I, 9I, SW, and Putter. 
 The only club I am not 100% on is the SW. it’s my usual around the green club, but there aren’t many bunkers (19) and the greens have shaved edges so a lot of putting will be done from just off the green...maybe some 9I bump and runs. I’ll stick with the SW I guess, for those partial wedges shots less than 100 yards and such. Will be interested to see how it works out and if I can score with the minimal set. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love playing with a half set - especially for twilight rounds in the summer. Usually I’ll pack the clubs in a Sunday bag, then in toss them in the back of my car (I work at a closed campus facility so no risk of theft), and hit the course right after work around 5pm. I don’t notice much difference in scoring. My half bag is set up something like this:

Driver

5W

4, 6, 8 iron

PW

60 degree

Putter

Interesting.

I carry all 14, and here are the clubs that I've actually used on my last round.

D, 3W, 3-9I, PW, GW, SW, LW, and putter.  Granted I've only used 3-5I only once or twice each depending on where they place the pin and/or the tee box on par 3's and short par 4's.

So, yes, I do use all of them. 

I was just thinking about this the other day and am going to play my next solo round with a half bag to see how I play. I’ll probably play with Driver, driving iron, 6i, 8i, pw, sw, putter. 

I haven't played a lot this year (hard being a single golfer in the Covid era) but the few times I have, I have loved the 10-club bag for walking. I'm playing alone anyway so it's not a handicap round. The one round I knew I was playing with others I carried my full set. I think I could remove the wood and not really suffer anymore to be honest

I'm doing:

Driver, wood, 21* hybrid, 4, 6, 8, PW, SW, LW, Putter

Edited by cutchemist42

I enjoy walking nine in the evening with a half bag. Usually D, 7w, 6i, 8i, PW, P.  I don’t usually pack a 7w, but it works in this bag, as I usually play longer tees on my own.  Odd thing is that I consistently score around par while walking with that setup. Not sure whether it is the half bag, the relaxed walk in the evening, or absence of competition. On a cart with a full kit in a group of guys - I Need some luck to score below 80.  (There might be a lack of focus playing with the group.)

6 minutes ago, easyjay39402 said:

I enjoy walking nine in the evening with a half bag. Usually D, 7w, 6i, 8i, PW, P.  I don’t usually pack a 7w, but it works in this bag, as I usually play longer tees on my own.  Odd thing is that I consistently score around par while walking with that setup. Not sure whether it is the half bag, the relaxed walk in the evening, or absence of competition. On a cart with a full kit in a group of guys - I Need some luck to score below 80.  (There might be a lack of focus playing with the group.)

Pace of play may be a factor. Some players are affected by it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • Let us know how it goes. 
    • Cost and time.   THanks..have to give it a try..just trying to get back into my set without investing $$ for the time being..TY!
    • From yesterday's round. Approach to the green was a little long, and my ball was sitting on the back fringe. Large pile of coyote shit between the hole and my ball. The putt was right to left breaking so luckily my line was maybe 2-3 feet to the right of the turd, and there wasn't much chance of rolling into it, unless I hit a terribly offline putt, or got unlucky with a deflection off a bump in the fringe (which is quite beat up where my ball came to rest).
    • You're not supposed to change your vote. 😛 The problem with that is that the "shotgun pattern" doesn't account for the putts that go in. Yes, the distributions of both get larger. Bobby should have studied probability more. A putt going toward the hole, if mis-directed, can go left or right. Both result in a miss. A putt that is missing the hole, if mis-directed, can go left or right. One may result in a make, the other is still a miss. Bumps (if large enough to deflect the ball a little over an inch or so, and if close enough to the hole for a miss to become a make) have a negative outcome 100% of the time when the ball is going in, and a positive outcome 50% of the time when the ball is going to miss. Or to put it in absolute terms, every bump on a ball that would be going in the middle has a negative outcome - it steers the ball farther away from the center of the hole, and every bump that steers the ball on a putt that's missing has a 50% chance of "helping" by steering it in the right direction. Nope. You can join Bobby Jones in the statistics/probability class. 🙂 These bumps aren't knocking the ball feet farther away. They're not tees randomly stuck in the ground. They're just bumps on a putting green. That's the kind of road you can lead yourself down when you don't just look at it logically. 😄 To the majority of you getting this one wrong… Let's make an extreme example. You have one putter that makes 80% of his putts, and another that makes 50%. The gap is 30% or 0.3 strokes (1.2 versus 1.5). You introduce enough randomness that 25% of the putts that were going to go in miss and 5% of the putts that were going to miss go in. The gap is now: 0.8 * .75 + 0.2 * .05 = 61%. 0.5 * .75 + 0.5 * .05 = 40% What was a 30% gap is now a 19% gap. The gap narrows. The good putter is punished, even though he's punished at the same "rates" as the bad putter, at a higher "value" because he hits more putts that would have gone in, while the bad putter hits more putts that could potentially only be directed in. To put it another way, there's a larger possible "negative" adjustment or change for the good putter and a larger possible "positive" adjustment or change for the bad putter. This is true in pretty much* all cases: the more luck plays a role, the less skill plays a role. * I'm a "never say never or always" kinda guy. I can't think of a time when an increase in randomness or luck also increases or at least doesn't reduce skill, but again… see the first sentence here in this asterisk.
    • Why? On 40 foot putts, they both don’t have much of a chance.  It’s the putts inside 15 feet that have the highest Separation Value.  So if a great putter makes 5 of 10 putts at 8 feet (tour average) on tour greens and he missed 1 or 2 more on crappy greens, his percentage changes more. The bad putter is missing more of those anyway, even on good greens.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. AmirReza
      AmirReza
      (34 years old)
    2. BushwoodCC
      BushwoodCC
      (55 years old)
    3. cozelos
      cozelos
      (36 years old)
    4. RollingStoppie
      RollingStoppie
      (52 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...