IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau - Oy

ShawnSum

21 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Agree. Is there data on how far off center of fairway he has been? If their is, I would be curious to see what the range of lateral degrees he is missing by. At that distance, he is bound to be within a couple of degrees, which is impressive when you compare it to something like long drive championships, or maybe even other players that aren't as long and measuring degrees as well.

pgatour_fb.jpg

Strokes Gained | Distance (All Drives) | Distance (Measured Drives) | Accuracy | Scoring | Other | Radar

For the Rocket Mortgage Classic that he won, he averaged less than 10 yards from the center of the fairway.  That was 69th in the field, but the best in the field (Danny Willett) averaged about 6.5 yards from the center.  Not a lot of difference there, but Bryson averaged 40 yards further off the tee than Willett.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@DaveP043, exactly what I was looking for. Cheers! 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, iacas said:

People are overlooking how straight he's hitting it.

I looked at his shotlink graphic in the PGA Tour site for the last tournament, and was like (in Darth Vader voice), impressive

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

32 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I looked at his shotlink graphic in the PGA Tour site for the last tournament, and was like (in Darth Vader voice), impressive

I find many people's lack of faith disturbing as well.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

On 7/12/2020 at 3:07 PM, ShawnSum said:

Bet we don't see him swing this way one single time while playing in a tournament.

I think I am going to be eating my own words judging from how this Charity Exhibition is going...Finau is destroying the ball off the tee with his full swing!! LOL! 

:titleist:

:tmade:

On 7/14/2020 at 9:27 AM, fredf said:

I went nuts on speed drills for a while, including this speed the backswing advice. An unintended consequence was my swing got much shorter without me being aware at the time. (Not blaming the theory, just the dope with the club in hand.) So buyer beware.

Yes, I did it last winter for couple of weeks in winter when I got MEVO and started stalling turn rates and spinning out until I realized I was simply cheating unintentionally... with nothing to show for it and a sore upper back to boot.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

191 mph ball speed, 345 yd carry.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

That's absurd.

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

4 hours ago, billchao said:

191 mph ball speed, 345 yd carry.

Crazy. As these guys approach long-drive champion distances (winners are ~400 yds), what happens next? How long before 400 yd. holes are considered drive-able?

50 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Crazy. As these guys approach long-drive champion distances (winners are ~400 yds), what happens next? How long before 400 yd. holes are considered drive-able?

Today.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

55 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Setup on a given hole or course matters. Bryson hit the ball 191 mph. Long drive guys are well into the 200 mph range. Conditions play a role on long drive competitions, too. That’s why sometimes you see everyone hitting around 340, and other times over 400.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, chspeed said:

Now, as said before. Another thing to take into account is that golf holes aren't measured like LD competitions. Typically they are measured down the middle of the fairway. That means that often, a 400 yard hole on tour is often only 350-370 yards (or even less) as the crow flies, or in this case, as BDC's ball flies.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Now, as said before. Another thing to take into account is that golf holes aren't measured like LD competitions. Typically they are measured down the middle of the fairway. That means that often, a 400 yard hole on tour is often only 350-370 yards (or even less) as the crow flies, or in this case, as BDC's ball flies.

True..but the numbers show he’s competing with the LD guys without a tweaked Krank driver. His ball speed and swing speed are right up there and he’s hitting it pretty straight.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

True..but the numbers show he’s competing with the LD guys without a tweaked Krank driver. His ball speed and swing speed are right up there and he’s hitting it pretty straight.

They really aren't though. Maybe in his practice room where he doesn't have to worry about position, but on course he isn't that close to LD competitors. They post swing speeds in the 140s and I don't know if Bryson has cracked more than low 130s on course. Ball speed can be close to 220 in LD, where Bryson isn't pushing more than 193 on course. Look at the first drive in this video. You think Bryson is putting up these numbers?

Bryson is extremely long by playing standards. He manages to keep it very very VERY straight for how far it is going. A couple of them get away from him from time to time, but mostly he is in play, and so close to the pin that it doesn't matter what kind of shape he is in as long as it isn't penalty.

What Bryson does is a big time feat, but to compare him to a long drive hitter isn't giving Bryson enough credit IMO. He follows the formula for launch, but manages to control it enough to make it very usable on course. A LD range is up to 60 yards wide, and those guys usually only land 1-2 balls out of 8 within the grid. PGA tour fairways are usually around 30 yards wide, and Bryson is on or close on most of his drives.

Edit* bonus reference:

Bryson is using a Cobra SZ driver with only 5.5 degrees of loft. It may not be as long as the sticks the LD guys use, but it is definitely "tweaked" as you put it. No one else uses something like this.

BRYSON-BAG.jpg

Bryson DeChambeau What's In The Bag? - We take a look inside the 'Golfing Scientist' Bryson DeChambeau's golf bag featuring one length irons

Edited by Bonvivant
added info
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

LD competitions use USGA conforming clubs.

Bill

My Swing Thread

8 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Bryson is using a Cobra SZ driver with only 5.5 degrees of loft. It may not be as long as the sticks the LD guys use, but it is definitely "tweaked" as you put it. No one else uses something like this.

I believe Phil played a sub 7 degree driver for a while. Not sure what is in his bag now. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, billchao said:

LD competitions use USGA conforming clubs.

I didn’t say they didn’t right? I said ‘tweaked’. Kyle Birkshire doesn’t use his LD driver when he’s playing. 

11 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

They really aren't though. Maybe in his practice room where he doesn't have to worry about position, but on course he isn't that close to LD competitors. They post swing speeds in the 140s and I don't know if Bryson has cracked more than low 130s on course. Ball speed can be close to 220 in LD, where Bryson isn't pushing more than 193 on course. Look at the first drive in this video. You think Bryson is putting up these numbers?

Bryson is extremely long by playing standards. He manages to keep it very very VERY straight for how far it is going. A couple of them get away from him from time to time, but mostly he is in play, and so close to the pin that it doesn't matter what kind of shape he is in as long as it isn't penalty.

What Bryson does is a big time feat, but to compare him to a long drive hitter isn't giving Bryson enough credit IMO. He follows the formula for launch, but manages to control it enough to make it very usable on course. A LD range is up to 60 yards wide, and those guys usually only land 1-2 balls out of 8 within the grid. PGA tour fairways are usually around 30 yards wide, and Bryson is on or close on most of his drives.

Edit* bonus reference:

BRYSON-BAG.jpg

Bryson DeChambeau What's In The Bag? - We take a look inside the 'Golfing Scientist' Bryson DeChambeau's golf bag featuring one length irons

It’s tweaked for golf performance. If BD was only doing distance and had 8 tries to hit the grid ....he would use a different driver.

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I didn’t say they didn’t right? I said ‘tweaked’. Kyle Birkshire doesn’t use his LD driver when he’s playing.

No, but you said “tweaked” and given than Krank makes non-conforming drivers, I wanted to clarify that World Long Drive competitions use conforming clubs. Not necessarily for your information, but for the sake of not having possibly misleading information on the site.

Bill

My Swing Thread