IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau - Oy

ShawnSum

11 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

They really aren't though. Maybe in his practice room where he doesn't have to worry about position, but on course he isn't that close to LD competitors. They post swing speeds in the 140s and I don't know if Bryson has cracked more than low 130s on course. Ball speed can be close to 220 in LD, where Bryson isn't pushing more than 193 on course. Look at the first drive in this video. You think Bryson is putting up these numbers?

Bryson is extremely long by playing standards. He manages to keep it very very VERY straight for how far it is going. A couple of them get away from him from time to time, but mostly he is in play, and so close to the pin that it doesn't matter what kind of shape he is in as long as it isn't penalty.

What Bryson does is a big time feat, but to compare him to a long drive hitter isn't giving Bryson enough credit IMO. He follows the formula for launch, but manages to control it enough to make it very usable on course. A LD range is up to 60 yards wide, and those guys usually only land 1-2 balls out of 8 within the grid. PGA tour fairways are usually around 30 yards wide, and Bryson is on or close on most of his drives.

Edit* bonus reference:

Bryson is using a Cobra SZ driver with only 5.5 degrees of loft. It may not be as long as the sticks the LD guys use, but it is definitely "tweaked" as you put it. No one else uses something like this.

BRYSON-BAG.jpg

Bryson DeChambeau What's In The Bag? - We take a look inside the 'Golfing Scientist' Bryson DeChambeau's golf bag featuring one length irons

It’s tweaked for golf performance. If BD was only doing distance and had 8 tries to hit the grid ....he would use a different driver.

@billchao....I’m confused...the USGA limit is 48”. On the LD TOUR it’s 50”. I’m saying if Bryson was simply going for LD he would use the 50” most certainly.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

@billchao....I’m confused...the USGA limit is 48”. On the LD TOUR it’s 50”. I’m saying if Bryson was simply going for LD he would use the 50” most certainly.

You’re correct. I was only thinking about the club head, not the length :doh:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I believe Phil played a sub 7 degree driver for a while. Not sure what is in his bag now. 

I forgot about this. I shouldn't say "no one ", but a select few that are sub 7. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Watching him the last two weeks, he may want to dial back his drives to keep eleminate so many half shots into the green.  

56 minutes ago, gjunkie57 said:

Watching him the last two weeks, he may want to dial back his drives to keep eleminate so many half shots into the green.  

He may also want to dial back on his 4 woods out of 6 inch deep rough.

• Like 2

Marshall

24 minutes ago, Divot Master said:

That was brutal. 3 shots OB.  

We really shouldn't be talking about the 10 he made. It could be bad for someone's brand. 

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, Divot Master said:

Lol...who does he think he is? @billchao?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, gjunkie57 said:

Bryson seems like the kind of guy who probably knows exactly how far back to take what club to produce what distance.  I think if this distance of his continues, he'll get really good at those partial wedges too -- both from practice and experience.  

I'm better from 50 yards than from 100, and I'll bet he is too, and if he isn't, that's something he can fix real quick.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an interesting article about DeChambeau at the 2016 Masters

FROM THE ARCHIVES: THE INVENTIVE MIND & FAITH-FILLED SPIRIT OF BRYSON DECHAMBEAU

Bryson was low amateur and T21 overall.

Edited by MiuraMan
added tidbit

• 3 weeks later...

He is a bit of a goofball but he appears to have taken that minimal Moe Norman swing plane approach to a new level with the added bulk. He appears to have the long shots dialed. When it kicks in for all his clubs, watch out. 

Bill M

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Total BS!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Adorable dog

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 4 weeks later...

The Mad Professor in DOMINANT fashion............Good on ya, big frenchy!!

The only question is.......does he take Augusta to its knees like he did Winged Foot?

• Like 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

47 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

The Mad Professor in DOMINANT fashion............Good on ya, big frenchy!!

The only question is.......does he take Augusta to its knees like he did Winged Foot?

The way he played this week, I think that he has a shot. I'm curious to see what the odds makers will put him at to win (and at to top 10). Just looked up a futures....Rory at +1100, Rahm and BDC at +1200, Koepka and JT at +1400.....out of that bunch and with those odds JT and BDC are a tight call for me. Not a gambler here, but I do pay attention to that stuff because it gives an idea of what we can expect (most of the time)

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

10 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

The way he played this week, I think that he has a shot. I'm curious to see what the odds makers will put him at to win (and at to top 10). Just looked up a futures....Rory at +1100, Rahm and BDC at +1200, Koepka and JT at +1400.....out of that bunch and with those odds JT and BDC are a tight call for me. Not a gambler here, but I do pay attention to that stuff because it gives an idea of what we can expect (most of the time)

The Masters isn’t a course built for just the power game. Look at the list of winners. Other than Bubba, most have good but not great long games off the tee. I know folks are excited he won, but Morikawa has a game that may fit Augusta better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The Masters isn’t a course built for just the power game. Look at the list of winners. Other than Bubba, most have good but not great long games off the tee. I know folks are excited he won, but Morikawa has a game that may fit Augusta better.

Bryson gained over a stroke per round in all four areas of the game, Scott.

It was as complete a performance in a major as we have seen in awhile.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Bryson gained over a stroke per round in all four areas of the game, Scott.

It was as complete a performance in a major as we have seen in awhile.

Absolutely. He played great in areas other than driving including great short game recovery. I am just pointing out that his driving was not miles longer than anyone else the way the announcers were.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave