nevets88

When You're Putting From 10 Feet and Leave Yourself 25

30 posts / 1331 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I am bereft of words for the craptastic design of the hole itself.  But the guy deserves some kudos for taking it so well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's happened to me before. Not quite as bad, but I had a 6 footer that rolled back 6' behind me.

I have also had a 10' putt end up as a 40 yard pitch once. That was fun 🙃

I hope he showed that video to the guys in the pro shop, and the guy that put the hole there got canned.

21 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's happened to me before. Not quite as bad, but I had a 6 footer that rolled back 6' behind me.

With a bad pin position on #3 on the Avalon South course (local course) a friend had an uphill 3 footer, but yanked it past the hole by a foot, but it wasn't done yet.  As we stared in disbelief the ball started rolling backwards and right into the cup!  (That's the answer to the trick question... how does a ball on the green roll 5 feet to make a 3 footer?) 

That 40 yard pitch must have been at Pebble Beach on #14, before they worked on the green.  Years ago when you stood on the front of the green the back section was above your head... only 25 feet away!

2 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

I am bereft of words for the craptastic design of the hole itself.

Beef hole location. Not necessarily a badly designed hole.

40 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

I hope he showed that video to the guys in the pro shop, and the guy that put the hole there got canned.

Wow. One small mistake and a guy loses his job eh?

One morning on a fast and dry green I had a 25 foot downhill putt when Scotty, the course superintendent showed up and watched.  Scotty always shows up at the worst times.  I barely tapped that 25 footer and it rolled 40 feet beyond the cup and onto the fringe.  Scotty to the rescue, shaking his head thinking which of his crew put the cup there, and promptly dug in and moved the hole to a more fair location.  Though he did insist I putt out first.

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Beef hole location. Not necessarily a badly designed hole.

Wow. One small mistake and a guy loses his job eh?

Well, mabye just a good talking to, and a lesson about hole placement. I used to belong to a course where the asst. super used to put holes on sides of slopes, and then laugh at people when they complained. I have a turf degree, and cut many holes. I have put some in some tough spots, but  always fairly flat around the hole.

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

And in the collar of the fairway. That is... rough.

Damn...could’ve pulled a ‘Phil’.

Big deal.  I've putted out of bounds numerous times.  At least this guy still had a shot.

Yeah, my course had a similar pin last weekend. I saw a guy make a 10 with a similar pin location. I think he technically only had 3 putts on the green, but twice he putted off the green. I managed to make a par by rattling it off the flagstick, but had it missed, I would have putted it off the green, too.

Golf isn't fun when shit like that happens. Give us about 3-5 feet of reasonable slope around the cup so we can stop the ball near the hole. 

Reminds me of some of the pin locations for the "heaven and hell" tournament at one of my home courses. One day of playing from the ladies tees with the easiest pin positions and one day of playing from the tips (and further, they'll put the tees beyond all the tee boxes just to screw with you that day) and the worst pin position the greenkeeper can find on the hole regardless of whether it's a legal location or not.

22 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

the worst pin position the greenkeeper can find on the hole regardless of whether it's a legal location or not.

I was thinking this post didn’t specify that this was a regular round. It could’ve been, as we call them, a ball buster. Where the pins are on the sides of hills, and just stupid spots. Technically all pin holes on a green are legal, they’re just not very nice. I very much enjoy setting those locations for the couple tournaments we do each year.

3 hours ago, phillyk said:

Technically all pin holes on a green are legal, they’re just not very nice.

While that's true under the technicality that the rules of golf don't specify where holes may and may not be placed, the USGA does give some heavy handed guidance in section 15-3 of the Handicap Manual where they discuss how the golf course should be set up. The key points are included below:

• The hole should be located at least 4 paces from any edge of the green, or more if there is a bunker near the edge or the terrain around the green slopes away from the edge
  • An area 2-3 feet in radius around the hole should be of a uniform grade and reasonably level 
    • Holes should not be located on or directly next to a sharp slope
    • A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole
  • Avoid placing holes near damaged turf or healing hole plugs
  • Holes should be cut as close to vertical as possible rather than perpendicular to the contour of the green
  • There should be a balanced selection of hole locations for the entire course with respect to left, right, front, back, and middle pin positions

Not illegal I suppose, but something that the USGA very strongly discourages. Definitely fun to see the "impossible" pin positions for one event a year though.

15 hours ago, nevets88 said:

And in the collar of the fairway. That is... rough.

The sprinkler head didn’t even slow it down 😂 Guessing this was a posed shot after they 6 putted 🤪

Been there and done that on the 18th of my home course... rough hole placement.

The approach fairway was very nicely manicured, What a beautifully maintained course! 😁

16 hours ago, billchao said:

#18 at Hawk's Creek, Fort Worth...Two-tiered green. Best, -Marv