IGNORED

NCAA Football 2019

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

This is why I’m looking at the trends, history and overall power ranking. OSU has not had a major win this season. OU has one. No sense in juggling around each other’s cupcakes. That’s pointless.

Let’s talk about trends.. OSU is 13-4 versus top 10 opponents since 2012.

24C36A19-608B-450E-88CA-7E5D91E34410.png

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

OSU will get its chance. We’ll see how they do but their record shows ...it won’t pan out to good for them.

Support this claim. You can’t. 

Guess what, those advanced stats take into account strength of opponent. OSU is arguably the best team in the nation. They have a top 5 defense and offense. Again, the stats are based on SOS. 

I also agree that their biggest tests are coming up against a top 10 PSU and top 10 WISC. Their remaining SOS is one of the tougher ones out of the current Top 10. They have overly dominant enough to warrant their ranking. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, saevel25 said:

Guess what, those advanced stats take into account strength of opponent. OSU is arguably the best team in the nation. They have a top 5 defense and offense. Again, the stats are based on SOS. 

I also agree that their biggest tests are coming up against a top 10 PSU and top 10 WISC. Their remaining SOS is one of the tougher ones out of the current Top 10. They have overly dominant enough to warrant their ranking. 

It’s getting too clustered here. Let me make this simple. 
Why do you feel OSU should’ve moved above OU currently? 
OSU has beaten one ranked team, Cincinnati at #25. (MSU #24..but they’re wasted now).

OU has beaten one ranked team, Texas #11 ( and their new rank).

So they each have a ranked win. OU started above OSU. That’s my question.

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Huh? They got blown out by unranked teams the last two seasons. There was no indication of this happening. All your arguments held true 2017/2018 as well yet OSU flopped. That’s not support? Come on man...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Why do you feel OSU should’ve moved above OU currently? 
OSU has beaten one ranked team, Cincinnati at #25. (MSU #24..but they’re wasted now).

OU has beaten one ranked team, Texas #11 ( and their new rank).

So they each have a ranked win. OU started above OSU. That’s my question.

OU has face one team in the top 50, Texas at currently #19 on ESPN FPI rankings. It looks like the advanced stats had Texas pegged as overrated. 

OU has faced - #19, #56, #62, #69, #104 & a FCS school
OSU has faced - #22, #28, #45, #63, #80, #112

Your #19 beats our #22, but the remaining teams we faced were tougher. 

Here is why OSU is ranked higher, 
OSU has a scoring differential of +243 points. 
OU has a scoring differential of +179 points. 

OSU has outscored their overall better schedule by nearly 70 points! That is over 10 more points a game better. That is with OSU sitting their starters by the middle of the 3rd quarter in 5 out of 6 of those games. They have average 22 points in the 2nd quarter alone. They see what a team has for them in the first two to three drives then absolutely crush them in one quarter of play. 

Here is the thing. All I care about is numbers. The advances stats take out the name, and have unbiased look at how good a team is. They take out garbage time stats. They factor in for strength of the opponent. If OSU was ranked higher in the AP Polls and lower in the advanced stats I would be the first one to come on here and claim they are overrated. I am not an OSU fan who is delusional about how his team plays. I was one of the most critical fans in regard at how poor our defense was last year. I was praying they would get rid of Schiano.  

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

OU has face one team in the top 50, Texas at currently #19 on ESPN FPI rankings. It looks like the advanced stats had Texas pegged as overrated. 

OU has faced - #19, #56, #62, #69, #104 & a FCS school
OSU has faced - #22, #28, #45, #63, #80, #112

Your #19 beats our #22, but the remaining teams we faced were tougher. 

Here is why OSU is ranked higher, 
OSU has a scoring differential of +243 points. 
OU has a scoring differential of +179 points. 

OSU has outscored their overall better schedule by nearly 70 points! That is over 10 more points a game better. That is with OSU sitting their starters by the middle of the 3rd quarter in 5 out of 6 of those games. They have average 22 points in the 2nd quarter alone. They see what a team has for them in the first two to three drives then absolutely crush them in one quarter of play. 

Here is the thing. All I care about is numbers. The advances stats take out the name, and have unbiased look at how good a team is. They take out garbage time stats. They factor in for strength of the opponent. If OSU was ranked higher in the AP Polls and lower in the advanced stats I would be the first one to come on here and claim they are overrated. I am not an OSU fan who is delusional about how his team plays. I was one of the most critical fans in regard at how poor our defense was last year. I was praying they would get rid of Schiano.  

Very well said and presented. This is looking to be another intriguing season in the NCAA as usual. I much prefer college football over the NFL. I of course can not argue your stats. You’re right. My frustration stems from articles saying things like last year and the previous year where OSU lost bad and was still being argued as deserving a top four slot. No way. However if OSU wins out this season, no question they will deserve the top four. I’d certainly prefer to see them get in over another boring Alabama/Clemson show. I do think OU/OSU would be a great game. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

372021D3-5529-4C64-9F78-7484F9FE0528.png

OU getting some love in the new rankings. Not that far behind. 

• Like 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

How about them Badgers?!

Even I’m surprised by that.  I expected 6...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This will all play out near the end of the season.   Last year Michigan had the best defense in the country until they played that team down south.      Sometimes it's how the matchup works out.   Not every team that has all 5 star talent is going to win them all.   

Wisconsin is the real deal.   MSU was focused on stopping Johnathan Taylor, they contained him well.   The Wisconsin QB was 18/21 for over 180 yards and the total team rushing was over 200 yards.  

It will be interesting to see the rest of the season.

Don't be surprised, like at Michigan, a lot of the stars sit out the bowl games to prevent career ending injuries.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

372021D3-5529-4C64-9F78-7484F9FE0528.png

OU getting some love in the new rankings. Not that far behind. 

Lol..yeah...a little ballsy moving OSU up two spots from a bye week. But I have to admit I enjoy seeing another team at the top. I also wish they would reconstruct the playoffs. I do like how OU will play every team in its conference thus making the CC more clean. I don’t like how they can  have to play the same team twice. 
Wisconsin and OSU both whipped MSU pretty good. But I gotta give the edge to OSU on those two. Prediction? OSU 35 Wisconsin 17.

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Lol..yeah...a little ballsy moving OSU up two spots from a bye week. But I have to admit I enjoy seeing another team at the top. I also wish they would reconstruct the playoffs. I do like how OU will play every team in its conference thus making the CC more clean. I don’t like how they can  have to play the same team twice. 
Wisconsin and OSU both whipped MSU pretty good. But I gotta give the edge to OSU on those two. Prediction? OSU 35 Wisconsin 17.

I don’t know what this is, but it doesn’t come close to matching the AP poll that just came out and makes more sense...

19CA27FF-9873-4925-9678-05ACCD57ECDB.png

Really surprised Florida only dropped two places.  They gave LSU enough respect for beating Florida by 14 that they jumped over Clemson, but then I would’ve thought that Florida would’ve dropped further than just two…

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I don’t know what this is, but it doesn’t come close to matching the AP poll that just came out and makes more sense...

19CA27FF-9873-4925-9678-05ACCD57ECDB.png

Really surprised Florida only dropped two places.  They gave LSU enough respect for beating Florida by 14 that they jumped over Clemson, but then I would’ve thought that Florida would’ve dropped further than just two…

Power rankings. Which are more intuitive than the AP POLL. Imo.

49 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Lol..yeah...a little ballsy moving OSU up two spots from a bye week.

It’s how the math works in his system. Preseason stuff drops off. Alabama’s weak schedule is finally being more weighted. Also, conference strength gets adjusted. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 10/12/2019 at 10:14 PM, mcanadiens said:

I ain't gonna lie. I'm scared sh-t ;less on this one.

LSU looks for real also, but the winner of OSU-Wisconsin is defintely in the cat-bird seat for the Big 10.

Wisconsin has to get there first!  They are so over rated.  The only B10 team that is overrated.

The Axe is HOME where it belongs and will still be here at the end of the season. 

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

On 10/12/2019 at 7:51 PM, ncates00 said:

Very few outside of the SEC play anybody.

Then why does the SEC have such a poor Bowl record?  Oh I know, it's because they are not playing against SEC teams.

2018-19 SEC 6 & 5

2017-19 SEC 4 & 5

that's only .500 football from the supposed most dominate conference.

Didn't Clemson not only beat Bama last year but they actually blew Bama out.  It wasn't much of a game, well at least for Bama & SEC fans.  

Clemson played in the lowly ACC that had a winning record in bowl games against the SEC last year.  

On 10/12/2019 at 9:56 PM, David in FL said:

This!

If you’re not a believer after today, you’re not paying attention!

OSU in 2 weeks.  The winner is a genuine contender, even against Alabama

Probably more like Clemson.  Bama isn't the National Champion, but don't tell Sabin that.  

On 10/12/2019 at 10:31 PM, Vinsk said:

I mean just watching the LSU/FL game..a totally different level of play from the Big10 or PAC-12. It’s why OU man-handled Ohio State so easily last year on Ohio’s own field. Just such a waste to put them up there with that caliber. But it’ll be any easy win for the other team. Just hope we don’t get another Clemson/Alabama. Clemson should’ve dropped more than one spot for their dismal game against NC. That was nonsense. 

I agree, not another Clemson/Alabama game.  Bama will get their hat's handed to them again.  How anyone can say Bama is "The Team" after they got crushed last year by Clemson is beyond reasoning.

Alabama is the most overrated college football team in the Nation.  Georgia was, but South Carolina proved that on Saturday in Georgia.  

• Upvote 1

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

On 10/13/2019 at 9:51 AM, saevel25 said:

Penn State is for real this year.  The OSU/PSU game should be excellent and fun to watch.

Whisky is not though and it will prove out soon enough.  Only B10 team that is overrated 

- Dean

23 minutes ago, djake said:

Penn State is for real this year

Not sure where you get that. 17-10 against ...Pitt? 17-12 against Iowa? OSU would humiliate PSU. Wisconsin has a good win in beating the mediocre and unranked MSU...but neither Wisconsin or PSU have a chance against OSU.

14 hours ago, djake said:

Then why does the SEC have such a poor Bowl record?

Because, unless you're in the championship game, bowls are pointless exhibition games.  The top players don't want to risk getting injured in some meaningless game and screwing their professional prospects.  It's not quite on the NBA All-Star game level, but it's not far off in terms of importance or meaning in the grand scheme of things.  Perhaps you could argue some "resiliency of the program" or something, but at the end of the day, the bowls don't matter.  It would be different if the athletes were paid; then, the players would be akin to pro golfers just wanting to make the cut or finish as high as they can (even though they won't win) to get a paycheck.  

Edited by ncates00
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Because, unless you're in the championship game, bowls are pointless exhibition games.  The top players don't want to risk getting injured in some meaningless game and screwing their professional prospects.  It's not quite on the NBA All-Star game level, but it's not far off in terms of importance or meaning in the grand scheme of things.  Perhaps you could argue some "resiliency of the program" or something, but at the end of the day, the bowls don't matter.  It would be different if the athletes were paid; then, the players would be akin to pros just wanting to make the cut or finish as high as they can (even though they won't win) to get a paycheck.  

Yeah. And really for all the powerhouse teams ( Alabama, Clemson, OU, OSU) just to cover SEC/ACC/Big12/Big10,  any bowl game other than the NC lacks motivation. When your goal is to win the NC and it’s of course within reason anything less is a disappointment. 
Teams like Boise St. have capitalized on this. When they beat OU in 2007 at the Fiesta Bowl...there was zero motivation for OU in that game. Boise had nothing to lose. They were totally psyched to play a powerhouse team meanwhile OU was completely deflated not having made the playoffs. It’s not an excuse but hey, these are kids out there and attitude is a big factor.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Because, unless you're in the championship game, bowls are pointless exhibition games.

From a fan's perspective, no doubt.

As far as players go, you got to remember that landing a paying job is the number one goal. Any bowl game is better than nothing, because it is another chance to show yourself to your would-be employers. 

It's worth remembering that a program's ability to recruit the best players is often directly related to how many players land in the NFL. In my opinion, if the Buckeyes fall short of the playoffs, they better not just blow off the bowl game. We can all think of great traditional programs where that little edge in recruiting faded and now they aren't even in the picture.

Note: This thread is 1520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!