IGNORED

NCAA Football 2019

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Updated college football playoff rankings, 

kinda surprised that Minnesota didn’t drop that much. 

some B10 love,

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Osnola said:

Well, wouldn't that be pretty much true in everything...However, I think South Carolina beat Georgia, and that one event would make your general statement false....

I meant to say "will still win the majority of the time" not "will still win the majority of the team", but upsets like the one you mentioned do happen and that's exactly why I used the word "majority" instead of "all" or "every".

2 hours ago, Osnola said:

So, which team in the top 4 is better than the others, has faster, stronger and more skilled players?  On any given day, I don't think there is an ass hairs difference between the top 4..

As whole teams, probably not. If you looked at it from a position by position basis, there would likely be some differences. I don't know enough about the other teams' rosters outside of OSU to accurately comment on what those differences in skill/speed/strength might be, but I highly doubt that every position on every top 4 team lines up 100% equal in terms of speed, skill, strength, etc.

After all, OSU is in B1G, so there's absolutely no possible chance they have players that are as fast, strong, or skilled as SEC teams, right? :-P

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Updated college football playoff rankings, 

kinda surprised that Minnesota didn’t drop that much. 

I think the biggest question mark is the #4 seed. Big assumption here, but assuming the top 3 win out and win their conference championships, they're all in. Then in my opinion it likely comes down to if a 2 loss Georgia team is better than a 1 loss PAC-12 champ of Oregon/Utah, or possibly even a 1 loss Big 12 champ of Oklahoma or Baylor. 

But if any of the top 3 were to lose, then total chaos would ensue. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

194.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Total points: 25 (first-place votes: 0)

Notable: Fields, who has put up video game-esque numbers all season, finally gets a chance to be taken more seriously in the race with Ohio State's game against Penn State on Saturday. For now, though, he continues to beat up on the Big Ten's bottom feeders, with Rutgers the most recent team to fall. Against the Scarlet Knights, Fields threw four TD passes and a career-high 305 yards.

Gee, even the small media outlet of ESPN sees this. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

194.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Total points: 25 (first-place votes: 0)

Notable: Fields, who has put up video game-esque numbers all season, finally gets a chance to be taken more seriously in the race with Ohio State's game against Penn State on Saturday. For now, though, he continues to beat up on the Big Ten's bottom feeders, with Rutgers the most recent team to fall. Against the Scarlet Knights, Fields threw four TD passes and a career-high 305 yards.

Gee, even the small media outlet of ESPN sees this. 

The fact that Fields is #3 in the Heisman watch and 4th in TD passes despite never attempting more than 25 passes in any game this season, averaging less than 6 pass attempts in the second halves of games this season, only 25% of his pass attempts coming in the 2nd half and only accounting for 82% of OSU's pass attempts is pretty impressive IMO and only furthers the point about how dominant Ohio State has been this season, he simply hasn't had to play in the second half very often. (And before you chime in about "cUpCaKe ScHeDuLe" for the 50th time, @saevel25 and I have already explained and used facts multiple times to show how OSU's schedule has not been as weak as you seem to think it has been)

For reference, Hurts is 7th in TD passes (and only has 2 more TD overall), while attempting more than 25 passes in 4 games and averaging over 10 pass attempts in each second half this season. 41% of Hurts' pass attempts have come in the 2nd half, and Hurts has accounted for 87% of Oklahoma's pass attempts.

Burrow is 2nd in TD passes while attempting more than 25 passes in 8 out of his 10 games, and averaging over 13 pass attempts in the second half of each game this season. 38% of Burrow's pass attempts have come in the 2nd half, and Burrow has accounted for 92% of LSU's passing attempts

Now I don't think Fields should be #1 in the Heisman watch by any means, nor do I think he will win the Heisman, but based on the numbers that Fields has put up while hardly playing in the 2nd half this season, I do think he would have likely produced at least equal, if not better better stats overall than Hurts and Burrow had he played full games for most of the season like they have.

Joel Klatt's Top 10 😛

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Can’t say I agree completely with him. He’s a bit B1G biased obviously. Alabama  has wins ! Against who?’ He’s stretching the value of OSU’s wins for sure. But that’s something like trying to debate a flat earther. Cincinnati and Wisconsin ( despite falling apart) will be held as incredible accomplishments and the greatest wins for all conferences. They weren’t.
He’s really just trying not to say what everyone outside the B1G knows’ OSU has pummeled it’s cupcakes. They’ve allowed the lowest number of points scored ( against cupcakes) and their first hope of really getting a chance to shine was ruined when WI dropped their pants and showed they weren't that great. Then comes their second chance and again it’s spoiled by a loss beaten by a team assuming to be weaker than OSU themselves.
The guy makes great points. But had OSU had the wins, WINS that LSU has...then he’s be wearing red and white and hailing OSU has the greatest team this century. Even you @saevel25 said you can’t argue that LSU shouldn’t be number one....yet this guy not only manages to do that but puts CLEMSON ahead of LSU? LOLOLOL. Absolute joke. 

Here’s the difference: “ OLE MISS putts up 400 rushing yards against LSU, ...rushing yards that  shows a defense with holes.’

If OSU : “ OLE MISS...a fast a difficult offense to figure out, put up 400yds in rushing on OSU....yet OSU’s offense just kept it coming in and beat them with an easy win, 

Clemson hasn’t played anybody.

OSU has played Wisconsin, Cincinnati 

LSU has played Florida, Auburn, Texas, Alabama.

I gave you Cincinnati so I took Texas. 

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

yet this guy not only manages to do that but puts CLEMSON ahead of LSU? LOLOLOL. Absolute joke. 

Yeah no chance Clemson should be ahead of LSU, Clemson has played a really weak schedule and was a 2 pt conversion away from losing to UNC.

LSU deserves to be ranked #1 right now based on who they have beat, but having OSU ahead of LSU isn't nearly as big of a stretch as having Clemson over LSU, IMO.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

He’s a bit B1G biased obviously.

Dude you clearly don't know Joel Klatt. The guy is highly unbiased about any team. 

54 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

But had OSU had the wins, WINS that LSU has...then he’s be wearing red and white and hailing OSU has the greatest team this century.

If OSU beat LSU's schedule in the same way they have their schedule, meaning they beat Texas by 30, beat Floriday by 30, Beat Auburn by 30, beat Alabama by 10+, and still not have what looks like a spotty defense that LSU has.Then yes, that would be a team of the century. 

If OSU played exactly like LSU, great offense, spotty defense, decent margin of victory then OSU would be getting the same praise as LSU is now. 

58 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

ven you @saevel25 said you can’t argue that LSU shouldn’t be number one....yet this guy not only manages to do that but puts CLEMSON ahead of LSU? LOLOLOL. Absolute joke. 

Did you listen to what he said. He doesn't rank teams just based on who they beat, but how they performed as well. 

Giving up 38 points to a mediocre Texas Team, Giving up 38 points to Vanderbilt!, Vanderbilt is garbage. Giving up 402 yards on the ground against Mississippi! They allowed Mississippi to run at a 9.14 yards per carry! Yes they have won those games, but I claim that OSU would not allow Texas to score more than 24 points, and not let Vanderbilt to score more than 14 points. They would not have given up 402 yards to Mississippi. Heck, OSU held one of the most prolific runners in the country to 2.06 yards per carry and a total of 52 yards! 

Its very hard to do what OSU is doing this year. Only one time in the past 17 years has a team had a scoring margin average over 40 points. That was the FSU team that won the NC game. 

Heck, two of the best teams of 2000's the 2005-2006 Texas and USC teams had a +33 and +26 scoring margin. That Texas team, did travel to Ohio State, but still only played two more ranked teams that year before beating USC. Heck, before from 2003 to 2008, there has only been 5 teams that have gotten over 30 points in scoring margin for the year .

Stop trying to downplay what OSU is doing. If you look at teams who have won the NC Games, and teams who have been claimed as some of the best of our era, they didn't have excessively hard schedule, but they beat the crap out of who they faced. 

Rankings depend on what your criteria is. The question of OSU over LSU comes down to this. 

1. Do you only consider who you have beaten.
2. Do you take into account how you have beaten your opponents and how much does that add into bumping someone up. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

1. Do you only consider who you have beaten.
2. Do you take into account how you have beaten your opponents and how much does that add into bumping someone up. 

It’s subjective. I don’t care so much about OSU beating FAU by 100pts as I do another team beating a top ranked, high offense/defense by 7.

Look at Tua. He’s obviously a great talent. But he’s also thrown with the protection of the best O line in the country. He’s got time, Space, and often open receivers. 

I will continue to downplay OSU’s wins the same way everyone else downplays Clemsons. Wisconsin and Cincinnati are the two ‘big wins, ranked wins’ they have over Clemson? . Not real impressed with that.

And again @saevel25 don’t get so offended by the word ‘cupcake’ OSU has played plenty of them, period. That’s just the way it is. Every team plays cupcakes. OU, LSU, ALA. and certainly Clemson.

You’re trying to analyze who’s beaten their cupcakes the best I simply don’t care about that. OU beats a ranked unbeaten Baylor and the attitude is ‘oh...well I guess Baylor wasn’t that good after all.’ And they only jump one spot. That’s typical Big12 screw over. 

it’s not the only thing but criminey @saevel25 don’t you think who a team has played and beaten is pretty significant as to where a team stands? 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

And again @saevel25 don’t get so offended by the word ‘cupcake’ OSU has played plenty of them, period. That’s just the way it is. Every team plays cupcakes. OU, LSU, ALA. and certainly Clemson.

I'm not offended. I am putting OSU into proper context, you don't want to. 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

don’t you think who a team has played and beaten is pretty significant as to where a team stands? 

Sure, but so does how they performed. Again, history has shown the majority of the greatest teams did not play tough schedules. They just don't. The facts are that LSU beat an overrated Texas (never cracked the top 15 in SP+ rankings, and spent most of the time around 23rd), they beat the properly ranked Florida and Auburn (right around 10th in the nation for each in SP+), and Alabama (properly ranked). Which is better than what OSU has faced. Which is Wisconsin (currently at #13 in SP+), Indiana (currently at #20th in SP)+, Cincinnati (currently at #29th in SP+).

Then I got to step back and look at how LSU has actually played. Their margin of victory is good, but not great. Their defense is spotty. As I said before they gave up 38 points to Vanderbilt. Giving up over 400 yards rushing to Mississippi.

Lets look at how LSU handled one of the worst teams in the country and how Ohio State handled it. 

Vanderbilt is ranked 108th in the nation in SP+. Joe Burrow played the entire game, and LSU was up 38 to 17 at the half, and up 59 to 31 at the end of the third quarter. LSU was still playing their starters. LSU allowed 6.6 yards per pass and 6.5 yards per carry to Vanderbilt's RB's. 

Rutgers is ranked 110th in the nation in SP+ . The entire starting lineup for OSU was out of the game after the first drive in the 2nd half. OSU was up 35 to 7 at the half and 49 to 14 at the end of the third quarter. OSU kept Rutgers to 4.7 yards per pass and their RB's averaged sub 3.0 per carry.

OSU doesn't have that higher ranked win that LSU has, but in comparing how LSU performed against a similar opponent as OSU shows were OSU is a more complete team. 

Check this video out. They go into great detail on why they think LSU would lose if OSU faced them today. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Really enjoyed that video and there were great points made. I do agree the important take is at 29:21 regarding the model not being able to deal with fact that these teams are from different conferences. And  historically ( history has shown as you said) OSU has not faired well against SEC teams.

The video shows a good hypothetical but the fact remains OSU is 2-10  vs SEC in bowl games. Just lousy luck? Look, I’ve given more credit to OSU than you’ve realized. They are easily the best B1G team. Neither PSU nor MI have any chance to beat them. OSU deserves to be there more than OU for sure. It concerns me that OSU was kicking ass and taking names then got punked 31-0 by Clemson. I get it, that’s not this year. But that’s what fans do.. they forget that stuff and opponents live it up. I’m certainly more for seeing an OSU final than a damn SEC one. I hope they show up and prove to be they’re as good as the numbers show. 

A lot of what if's, but the biggest is if Georgia beats LSU, you likely end up with Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, and LSU as your top 4.  I don't think OSU or Clemson will lose again until the playoffs.  Now, If LSU beats Georgia and BAMA beats Auburn, You will see it with LSU, OSU, Clemson, and BAMA as the top 4 teams.  Georgia will not make it with 2 loses.  If BAMA loses to Auburn, then you have Oregon in as the 4th team.  Some crazy stuff could happen, but we will all have a clear picture in about 3 weeks...

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

And  historically ( history has shown as you said) OSU has not faired well against SEC teams.

How much history do you want to go back. The last time OSU faced an SEC team was in 2014! Guess what happened, 

I just want to make sure, 

You want to take credence in the fact that OSU did struggle against SEC teams in the 1990's and 2000's. I admit going 0-7 is not good during that time frame. Yet, you don't want to consider they are 2-1 in the 2010's. I mean, come on man, coaches change, AD's change, they recruit differently now. 

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It concerns me that OSU was kicking ass and taking names then got punked 31-0 by Clemson.

The 2016 OSU team wasn't as solid as this team was. Also, OSU had some major deficiencies in 2016. Their passing game was regressing and they were one dimensional. The only reason they had a good season is because that defense was STACKED with NFL talent. 

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I get it, that’s not this year. But that’s what fans do.. they forget that stuff and opponents live it up.

Not buying it. Before Urban showed up, I agree. The top SEC teams had better talent than OSU. After Urban that changed. The issue with Urban was, he was a great big game coach. He wanted his teams to be underdogs. He never won a NC with an undefeated team. That is why his teams after that 2014 NC team struggled in strange spots that Alabama didn't struggle in. OSU would drop that one game a year that they really shouldn't. Still, Urban's record versus top 10 teams is seriously impressive at OSU. I rather take stock in that than what OSU did pre-2014. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

FFS @saevel25 what do you want? It’s like you’re wanting a NYY fan to adore and relish how good the Red Sox are. Ok...let’s say this: OSU is the most powerful NCAA team to date. They should cancel the NC and just give it to OSU. OSU is undefeated this year, so is LSU. I’m a fan of SEC and Big12 because I was born/grew up in those conferences. I’ve never liked OSU and I don’t care what your volumes of stats say and apparently neither does the committee as LSU is ranked number one. There’s nothing left but what we’ll see in the games. 
I don’t get how you agreed LSU to be ranked above OSU then go and argue how much better they are.

Edited by Vinsk

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

FFS @saevel25 what do you want? It’s like you’re wanting a NYY fan to adore and relish how good the Red Sox are.

No, but accepting that when the Red Sox are good, doesn't discredit you as a NY Fan. 

Maybe I just don't get blinded by fan loyalty like you do. I spent an hour talking with a Michigan at a bar in Pittsburgh once. I told him that I like seeing Michigan do well because I want the game between them and OSU to be a good one. 

OSU is the most powerful NCAA team to date. They should cancel the NC and just give it to OSU.

No one is saying that. 

OSU is undefeated this year, so is LSU. I’m a fan of SEC and Big12 because I was born/grew up in those conferences. I’ve never liked OSU and I don’t care what your volumes of stats say and apparently neither does the committee as LSU is ranked number one.

No, the committee does care about the stats. They also care about who you have beaten.

If they didn't, then maybe some one loss teams should be ahead of Clemson who has around the 90th ranked SOS. But they don't, they consider that Clemson has the 2nd best margin of victory and look dominant in all three phases of the game. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

No, the committee does care about the stats. They also care about who you have beaten.

I get that buddy and I, and the committee, agree that LSU has better wins. And I too want to see a good match for the NC. I think Clemson has caked-walked the entire season, still struggled with an unranked UNC and should have to do more than what they’ve done to even be in the playoffs. I don’t think Oregon deserves to be selected at all. PAC-12 just isn’t gonna cut it in this year’s playoffs. In fact...if it happened I would love to see OSU destroy Oregon. 

Welcome to Urban's Analysis, 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 1530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!