IGNORED

Let Us End Our Bad Golf Habits!

Cantankerish
Note: This thread is 1646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

58 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

I don't think I have any bad habits. It's just golf, and it's different every day.

+1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, iacas said:

Does not getting to play very often count?

I hope so. 

1. Not playing enough

2. Not practicing enough

3. Not playing enough when I travel. 

19 hours ago, iacas said:

Does not getting to play very often count?

That’s my worst bad habit of all...

Stevie T

On 10/15/2019 at 3:34 AM, RussUK said:

Sure does Erik, but i find blaming the kids for lack of playing opportunities works wonders :-P

My son is the only reason that I have started playing again, to help get him ready for high school golf.  However, my kids are also a big reason why I quit playing as well. It remains to be seen how much I will play when we become empty nesters in a couple years. 

War Eagle!

On 10/14/2019 at 3:05 PM, Bonvivant said:

1. Frustration at the pace of play on the course. Anything slower than 3.5 hour pace sends me into a tailspin

You would be a basket case playing in the tournament leagues I play in.  At my home club on "play days", 3.5 hour round is pretty easy.  But, in the tournament leagues, it generally is 4-1/2 to 5 hour rounds.  Yes, it can get to you if you dwell on it but I have been doing it long enough most of the times, I just accept it and play on.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I had a bad habit show up. A couple of times yesterday. That being walking to my ball only to find I brought the wrong club. Instead retrieving the right club, I tried to make the wrong club work. Did this knowing full well that the wrong club scenario never works. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 10/14/2019 at 10:15 PM, mcanadiens said:

4. Playing courses that have lots of water, trees and OB.

You're telling me courses like that exist?

On 10/14/2019 at 1:33 PM, Patch said:

Personally, I am thinking how boring golf would be with out my own bad habits. 

No bad habits would rob me of new adventures

With no bad habits, I might give up golf due boredom .......in 20-30 years. 

A PGA tour pro I was playing a round with once told me, as he was having a not too great of a round, that today he was teaching me how to make good recovery shots as he was having to make more than a handful of them himself.

I chuckled and he continued, if you cannot laugh at yourself on a bad day, you will not survive this game.

Advice still good 40 years later.

My bad habit is rushing myself in thought and action.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Playing the ball too far forward on the course because I like the way it looks.  On the practice range I play the ball back farther in my stance and rarely miss a shot.  Lack of discipline on my part and a bad habit that I should be able to break.

I don't think I have ever hit a bucket of balls before playing. From putting the car in park to tee shot is probably around 10 minutes. I should probably try warming up.

War Eagle!

1. Playing too fast. - When I ride I play too fast. I've gone back to walking. Besides, it's healthier.

2. Trying to kill the ball - This usually ends up with a top or fat shot caused by a rushed transition, and leads to seeing what the weather is before I make contact.

3. Forgetting to bring my Advil - Front 9 is okay, but I need 3 liquigels at the turn. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Not focusing on the task at hand. Every noise, movement breaks my concentration.

Trying to play faster than my brain can imagine what the shot requires.

Not lining up my putts properly to save time.

Trying to play in under 4 hours with 3 other 30 handicappers.

Note: This thread is 1646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!