IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

• Administrator
4 hours ago, WillieT said:

#40 Would You Rather...

1) Putt on greens that are fast (say 11-12 on the stimpmeter) but relatively flat and somewhat predictable, the major punishment being it will roll forever if you miss the hole.  

OR

2) Putt on greens that are average (say 8-9 on the stimpmeter) but have great undulations, shelves that make you have to really think about how the ball will need to roll. 

#1. The separation is likely to be higher (even though more undulation may favor me too), and I'm also likely to putt better myself. So whether I'm after a good score or to beat someone, #1 is better for me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

#40 Would You Rather...

1) Putt on greens that are fast (say 11-12 on the stimpmeter) but relatively flat and somewhat predictable, the major punishment being it will roll forever if you miss the hole.  

OR

2) Putt on greens that are average (say 8-9 on the stimpmeter) but have great undulations, shelves that make you have to really think about how the ball will need to roll. 

I'll take #1 all day long.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

19 hours ago, WillieT said:

Having played greens this summer that ranged from mostly dirt/sand with some grass thrown in for good measure to greens so fast I was almost certain to have a 5-10 footer coming back if I missed the cup, I thought this may be a good "Would You Rather" topic given that the course conditions are optimal for a semi-private course:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

They both kinda sound like fun. I think I'd likely score better on the fast flatter green. It might take some time to get used to the speed. The slower more undulated green would be fun for me and some of my golf buddies. So, I'd definitely take option 1 ... unless I took option 2. I'd choose both or neither. So, I'm not going to sit on the fence. Unless I'm already sitting on the fence.... maybe?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

16 hours ago, dennyjones said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

I'll take #1 all day long.   

Hands down 2 for me.  I prefer slightly slower greens because even if you misjudge the speed, you wouldn't be too far from the hole in general.  Fast greens, a miss means a knee knocker coming back at best and a potential three putt at worst since you are more than 5 feet past the hole most likely.  Undulations just mean you need to read the green better, but then I have never been a great reader of greens or a great putter.  All I am ever trying to do is get the ball close enough to the hole to take a given or have a relatively easy second putt

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 2 months later...

#40 Would You Rather...

Have a very high strokes gained putting?   

OR

Have a very high strokes gained around the green? 

13 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

Thanks @ChetlovesMer.  It's been awhile since we've had a "Would you Rather. I'll go with strokes around the green.  If you get it close enough you can dump in any ol' putt. Takes the pressure off.

17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

Short game. My putting is pretty good already.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Thanks @ChetlovesMer.  It's been awhile since we've had a "Would you Rather. I'll go with strokes around the green.  If you get it close enough you can dump in any ol' putt. Takes the pressure off.

You are very welcome. I figured a lot of this question would very easily come down to do you get more GIR's or more NGIR's? 

I get roughly the same number of each. Having said that, a lot of my GIR's are a long way from the hole. So, I "think" I'd rather have more stokes gained putting???? But, I'm still working that out in my mind. 

41 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

Kind of like some of the guys have said, putting is the least atrocious part of my game. On the other hand, hitting GIRs is only an occasional thing. Having the short game in order is a big difference maker.

46 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

Contrary to a couple here, putting is the most atrocious part of my game. From the stats I kept this year, my GIR average is 74%. So I’ll take the strokes gained putting. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

I will take whatever SG stat that would make putting a non-factor.. heh heh. So #2.

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

I already gain strokes putting against my handicap goal (5), so I pick around the green.

Tee to green is where I need to make significant improvement to reach my goal though.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

Well, this one hits home hard.   My strokes gained putting this year was better than my average.     I averaged about 0.5 strokes gained vs a scratch golfer but my strokes gained around the green were atrocious.    I've been working with an instructor to help with my short game and have seen improvements on the simulator but taking it outside with be the real test in the spring.     I'd rather have a better short game.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

For me it would be the latter, strokes gained around the green.  I have worked hard in this area this year as for me putting don’t mean a thing if you ain’t on the green.  The bulk of my backyard work deals with shots along this line.

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator
On 12/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

The former, because if you have the latter, you missed a lot of greens.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, iacas said:

The former, because if you have the latter, you missed a lot of greens.

Good point. I chose the latter BECAUSE I miss a lot of greens. In a perfect (or future?) world it would be putting.

#41 (I actually think this might be #42 or more, some of the numbering got whooper-jawed.) Would You Rather...

At any rate. Let's imagine you are the GOAT. For a moment pretend that you are the best in the world at a given sport. Would you rather....   

Be the best golfer in the world?

OR

Be the best in the world at a different sport? ... If so, which sport and why?

OR

You wouldn't want to be the best in the world at any sport, and why?