IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

On 2/2/2023 at 2:52 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #57:

Let's pretend the rules of golf suddenly change and you can add a 15th club to your bag.

Would You Rather:

Add an additional club to the top of your bag (i.e. An extra driver, another fairway wood or hybrid, or even a long iron)? 

OR

Add an additional club to the bottom of your bag (i.e. An extra short iron, an extra wedge or even an extra putter)? 

BTW - You can include the financial aspects in your decision (An extra wedge may be cheaper than an extra driver) or you can leave that out and pretend money is no object. Up to you. 

Last Spring I added a 5-wood and 7-wood, took out my old hybrid, and replaced 3 wedges with just 2.  So now I have a smaller gap near the top end, and a larger gap in my wedges range.  So at this stage, I'd re-work my wedges to eliminate that gap.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/2/2023 at 5:52 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #57:

Let's pretend the rules of golf suddenly change and you can add a 15th club to your bag.

Would You Rather:

Add an additional club to the top of your bag (i.e. An extra driver, another fairway wood or hybrid, or even a long iron)? 

OR

Add an additional club to the bottom of your bag (i.e. An extra short iron, an extra wedge or even an extra putter)? 

BTW - You can include the financial aspects in your decision (An extra wedge may be cheaper than an extra driver) or you can leave that out and pretend money is no object. Up to you. 

I am not sure I want to carry a 15th club. I almost never use the 60 degree wedge I carry now. I have thought about leaving it in the car to make my bag lighter. 😄

Brian Kuehn

• 3 weeks later...

Would You Rather Number 58:

Would you rather bet an amount of money that matters to you that LIV Golf will still be here in 5 years?
OR...

Would you rather bet an amount of money that matters to you that The XFL will still be here in 5 years? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

11 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather bet an amount of money that matters to you that LIV Golf will still be here in 5 years?
OR...

Would you rather bet an amount of money that matters to you that The XFL will still be here in 5 years? 

You come up with some good ones!  I will abstain from betting... that is a lose-lose situation.  I know I'm not supposed to go between the "horns of the bull".  So I will bet that the Mariners will be World Series Champions in 5 years...

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You come up with some good ones!  I will abstain from betting... that is a lose-lose situation.  I know I'm not supposed to go between the "horns of the bull".  So I will bet that the Mariners will be World Series Champions in 5 years...

Oh come on, @Double Mocha Man!

That wasn't an option. 

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

OR...

I don’t want LIV to continue to fracture professional golf into two warring camps. There is no way I want to root for them to survive. I will throw my money away on the XFL.

Brian Kuehn

OR...

Can I bet that neither will be around in 5 years?  If I had to choose one, I'd say XFL will be gone.   I'll bet my wife's dogs! (I just spent a day baby sitting them!)

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

OR...

Hands down I would rather bet on LIV Golf being around.  They have more or less unlimited wealth backing them, have a mission (sports washing the Saudi image) and people dedicated to ensuring success

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

14 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

OR...

XFL Baby! It’s the future of sparsely watched sport on ESPN The Ocho!

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

OR...

I really wouldn't want to bet on either one, but I'd take the Saudis and LIV Golf in a pinch. Let's keep it small stakes please.

How many attempts have we had at pro football in the spring? Could be wrong, but I don't think any of them have lasted more than three years. Isn't there an attempt at another USFL happening right now to draw away from the XFL. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

My gamble is that the Saudis both have the money to burn and are stubborn enough to keep feeding it.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

My gamble is that the Saudis both have the money to burn and are stubborn enough to keep feeding it.

^^^ This. I think people underestimate how much money the Saudis have and are ok with burning to keep this thing going.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

20 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

OR...

Unfortunately, I think @mcanadiens has the right answer. The Saudis do have tons of money and seem dead set on making this happen. 

Having typed that, I'm taking a wild flier on the XFL making it. If for no other reason that I'm anti-LIV Golf and don't want to bet on them. Perhaps I can talk myself into the XFL by mentioning the rise of Sports-Betting in America and that pro-football sees by far the biggest share of the betting action. Or by saying with NIL and the transfer portal messing around with college football and realignment forever on the horizon. Or by saying that this XFL is actually trying to align itself with the NFL rather than fight against it. Maybe if we take all of that into account a case could be made that the XFL does have a legit chance to make it and I'm not just trying to talk myself into it because I want LIV Golf to go away. ... Or, maybe not. 

20 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

OR...

This is tough but I'd place my bet on the XFL, but the bet would be like $20 (that matters to me).

While the PIF is basically a bottomless pit of money, I don't believe that the people or person running the fund are so stubborn that they will keep lighting millions or billions on fire so LIV can succeed regardless of cost. LIV isn't a success financially...yet. At a certain point, LIV may become an embarrassment to the Saudi fund, if it isn't already.

I read that MBS and the Saudis don't believe that they can sportswash the image of the regime, and that the sportswashing goal is to attract business/tourism to compete with regional rivals (I might be getting a bit wrong, I think it was from the New Yorker article, or maybe an interview with someone from that article). Anyhow, I think that at a certain point, if there are not sound financials, and LIV continues to be a dud/embarrassing product, I can see them quickly cutting losses and finding another way to achieve these goals.

That said, I haven't watched any of the new XFL yet. Maybe it sucks too.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 2/27/2023 at 4:22 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

OR...

Let’s see - LIV (imho) is nothing more than a barnstormer show of “pro-golf”.  Exhibition shows have their season and then the excitement wanes and it disappears into obscurity with a few hangers on that try to keep it going.  The Saudis will tire and eventually will “dump”’them for a new kid in town (that everyone will be talking about).   Meanwhile the XFL will eventually fail as well for our culture equates football with cool weather in the fall/early winter.  Interestingly enough, I’ve watched neither and am not drawn to do so.  So who do I feel maybe around in 5 years - an amount of money that matters (depends on the day of the month) - as much as I don’t like the environment LIV has created, their backers will still be in the game 5yrs from now.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 2/27/2023 at 1:22 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

OR...

Good one. I think they'll both fail. So I'd bet LIV since it's the one with the magic money behind it. As long as MBS still thinks it's a good idea or is a fun pet project or whatever, it'll be here no matter how badly it's failed as a product.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

OR...

Unfortunately I’d go with LIV. The XFL is under similar pressure as other projects are in this capacity. Competing against the NFL is tough. I have zero interest in the XFL. They don’t have the financial backing that LIV does. They’ll give the XFL maybe two seasons to gain interest. If it’s not generating enough…they’ll drop it. Norman has really fooled the Saudis into thinking he’s  doing this for the good of golf and to improve the reputation of SA. It’s just his narcissistic vendetta against the PGA TOUR that he’s pursuing. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 3 months later...

Would You Rather Number 59:

Let's do something not very controversial here: You are going to wear a t-shirt today: 

Would you rather: 

Wear a V-Neck T-shirt?
or 
Wear a Crew-Neck T-shirt? 

OR...

First, I would prefer to bet that Neither are here in 5 years.  XFL initially begain in 2001 and played 1 season, restearted in 2020 but never completed due to COVID and went bankrupt, then re-started in 2023.  History of it is not good.  As for LIV, I really do not care for it and would love to see it gone but there is a lot of money behind it so it could survive if PIF wanted it to.  I figure if the PGA-Tour/PIF deal falls through then LIV may stick around for a while but if the deal does happen I suspect LIV will have a short life.   THus my preferred bet would be "Neither is here in 5 years"

But to get off the fence I will bet that LIV is here in 5 years since to me that is higher odds of happening then the XFL being here in 5 years.

Note to all, I am a significnatly bad gambler and my friends do real well simply taking the oppposite side of any bet I make. 

24 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather Number 59:

Let's do something not very controversial here: You are going to wear a t-shirt today: 

Would you rather: 

Wear a V-Neck T-shirt?
or 
Wear a Crew-Neck T-shirt? 

Crew Neck

Edited by StuM
Fixed some of my all too frequent typos

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold)