IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

Would you rather buy an annual pass or membership at the more conveniently located , but not as nice course (15 minute drive, bunkers not maintained, hilly and not walker friendly) or the less convenient but nicer course (35 minute drive, maintained bunkers, relatively flat and easy to walk)?

Since it wasn't precluded in the question I'd choose and buy the annual pass at the closer course for practice (at their very fine practice facility) and then play the better, more distant courses 3 days a week.

51 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

They are raising their prices for 2020, so I might be reconsidering.

They raised them, but not by a lot. Priv. I, which is what I got went from $450 to $475. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Would you rather buy an annual pass or membership at the more conveniently located , but not as nice course (15 minute drive, bunkers not maintained, hilly and not walker friendly) or the less convenient but nicer course (35 minute drive, maintained bunkers, relatively flat and easy to walk)?

Since it wasn't precluded in the question I'd choose and buy the annual pass at the closer course for practice (at their very fine practice facility) and then play the better, more distant courses 3 days a week.

If I had to choose, I'd go for convience, and buy the pass for the crappier course.

I figure playing on a crappier course would make the the nicer course an easier play. 

However, in my golf reality, it wouldn't matter to me. One, or the other is fine, as long as I am out of doors, chasing that little ball. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

If I had to choose between these 2 options, Pricing not an option, I'd go for the nicer course.

I actually drive past 2 really nice courses to get to the "crappier" course, and it's not that bad.  Membership pricing is a huge factor in this case. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Assuming equal price, with the closer, crappier course including a cart and the further, nicer course only including the green fee and not the cart, I'll drive the 20 minutes each way and take the nicer course and get my exercise too. 

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

1 hour ago, sjduffers said:

I've actually had to make this choice four years ago.     I chose the closer, less maintained one because I could get out easier, it was less crowded and just overall more convenient.     That year I played more golf than any other time in my life.   I've since paired up 3 ex coworkers and we play all over the state so I don't have a membership.   

If I didn't have my current foursome, I'd "now" go with the nicer country club.  It's still pretty close and would be convenient.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I had and still have a similar choice except the closer course (4 minutes) is better conditioned and more expensive than the farther course (20 minutes). However, average pace of play on the nearer course is about 5+ hrs while the farther, lesser conditioned course is under 4 hrs to play, meaning not having to watch people in carts hit from the wrong tees and incessantly go into their bags for an extra hour per round. Sanity matters. 

On 12/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

It only depends on which course that I enjoy, feel more comfortable, and ultimately score better.  I pass more than one course on the way to my home 35 minutes away now.

Edited by burr

I would take the nicer course 35 minutes away.  I have played enough goat tracks in my life...

On 12/16/2019 at 10:56 AM, The Flush said:

I'd take the 15 minute drive. I hate driving. I don't mind walking and hilly, that's a lot of the courses I play at now and I want the exercise. Better for the environment too, less emissions.

Ironically, this is a choice I have now but I take the 30 minute drive because the slow play at the 15 minute course is just so brutal plus all the stores where I shop at are right there near the 30 minute course.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 12/16/2019 at 10:56 AM, The Flush said:

If it was just a question of distance, and the nearer course was a decent layout with okay maintenance,I would choose the closer.  It would be far easier to justify heading over at twilight, even if I only played 3-5 holes.

As others have said, factors like cost, pace of play, etc... would make this a tougher call.

Brian Kuehn

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Would you rather shoot a 67 the 1st day of Spring 2020 or win a $1000 lottery the same day while shooting a 95?

I'd rather shoot 67.  Its not nothing, but $1000 just wouldn't be enough, I'd rather have a new personal best.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Would You Rather…? #11

Would you rather shoot a 67 the 1st day of Spring 2020 or win a $1000 lottery the same day while shooting a 95?

I'll take the money, because I can shoot 67 a few times later in the year, and the only way I'll shoot 95 is if I'm playing lefty, in which case that's a pretty good score. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'll take the money, because I can shoot 67 a few times later in the year, and the only way I'll shoot 95 is if I'm playing lefty, in which case that's a pretty good score. 😄

... or you're blindfolded.  😃  Yes, the assumption in most cases, is that most golfers on this site won't shoot anywhere near 67 for the year.  Personally, I'm torn.

18 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Would You Rather…? #11

Take the money for sure. 95 is just a few shots higher than my scoring average so ill take a below average day on the course, and $1000 in my pocket thank you very much!

Just now, HJJ003 said:

Take the money for sure. 95 is just a few shots higher than my scoring average so ill take a below average day on the course, and $1000 in my pocket thank you very much!

But look at the bragging rights you'd get with the 67!!!  Your three best golfing buddies would be playing with you and they'd spread the word, too.  Besides being envious.   You'd be famous in your own right, at your preferred golf club.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But look at the bragging rights you'd get with the 67!!!  Your three best golfing buddies would be playing with you and they'd spread the word, too.  Besides being envious.   You'd be famous in your own right, at your preferred golf club.

Pshhh 90% of my buddies cant break 100 so I usually have bragging rights, and I got three kids 3 years and under.... Show me the money!