IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather…? #16:

• Hit the ball as solidly but, due to some luck or whatever, score relatively poorly for you.
  • Hit the ball poorly but, due to some luck or some holed chips or whatever, score really well.

This is a good one. I think that I would rather hit the ball well. I can control how well I hit it on any given day, but I cannot control what happens to the ball once it is in the air or rolling. However, my mom does not understand that you can hit the ball well, but still score poorly.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather…? #16:

• Hit the ball as solidly but, due to some luck or whatever, score relatively poorly for you.
  • Hit the ball poorly but, due to some luck or some holed chips or whatever, score really well.

FWIW I'm picking the first bullet most of the time, too.

22 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

This is a good one. I think that I would rather hit the ball well. I can control how well I hit it on any given day, but I cannot control what happens to the ball once it is in the air or rolling. However, my mom does not understand that you can hit the ball well, but still score poorly.

It's a good one, but it's still mostly going to get almost exclusively #1 or A choices, because of the type of golfer that is on a forum like this. If this was put out to the general public, there would be a lot more B, because they'd win a few bucks from their buddies, or whatever. Because the vast majority of golfers aren't really working to get much better. They're just enjoying golf as they play it now, and score and beer and friends and whatever is a big part of that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Hit the ball solidly.  No doubt.

I’m actually surprised at this. I figured you’d rather score well and win a few bucks from your friends 😃

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather…? #16:

To a large extent, I'd choose to hit the ball solidly.  That said, if I'm in a significant (to me) competition, I'd rather score. 

Before I read any further, and turning the question back on its originator a little, I'm guessing that as a coach of a competitive team (like the Newport Cup), @iacas would prefer to have his players shoot low scores in competitions, no matter how they manage to accomplish that.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather…? #16:

I guess I'm in the minority.  If we are talking a single round, such it feels great to have really great ball striking but I'm always in great mood with a low score, I go with the scoring well, particularly if we are talking round after round after round.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Before I read any further, and turning the question back on its originator a little, I'm guessing that as a coach of a competitive team (like the Newport Cup), @iacas would prefer to have his players shoot low scores in competitions, no matter how they manage to accomplish that.  

Yeah, of course. I'll take a shank that kicks off a tree and goes up to the front of the green in a round that counts every time.

But… most people don't play competitive rounds all that often. Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I’m actually surprised at this. I figured you’d rather score well and win a few bucks from your friends 😃

Ditto.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Would You Rather…? #16:

It would be more fun to hit poorly and score really well.  Just imagine all your buddies...…
  • "I just don't under stand it, he cannot play good at all, but keeps kicking my butt".
    Just imagine that par 3..... Over water...….  Mishit, and it goes short and instead of splash, a turtle comes to the surface and the ball bounces off the shell and onto the green 6" from the hole...….  who wouldn't want that kind of luck to happen....
Edited by IowaGreg

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather…? #16:

Option 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 hours ago, billchao said:

Ha!

Luck, good or bad is fleeting.  Good ball striking is everlasting.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just now, David in FL said:

Ha!

Luck, good or bad is fleeting.  Good ball striking is everlasting.

I assumed the scenario was for a single round.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Would You Rather…? #16:

I'd take the first option. I never seem to have luck when I'm striking the ball poorly. Besides, I've found that luck seems to walk hand-in-hand with good ball striking.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, billchao said:

It is, yeah.

4 hours ago, billchao said:

2 hours ago, iacas said:

It is, yeah.

I understand that.  But, if I’m striking the ball well one day, I tend to be striking the ball well for a time.  I’ll always take good ball striking over dumb luck, whether good or bad...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 1/24/2020 at 7:33 AM, iacas said:

Would You Rather…? #16:

I'd rather hit the ball well and score poorly. Bad luck happens. 

I know that if I am hitting the ball well, good scores will eventually follow. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

12 minutes ago, Patch said:

I'd rather hit the ball well and score poorly. Bad luck happens. 

I know that if I am hitting the ball well, good scores will eventually follow. 

Once I watched somebody hit this beautiful high draw 4i on a par 3. It was tracking at the flag the whole way. We heard a clunk and watched it ricochet 30 yards to the right. Hit the bottom of the cup on the fly. Good times. 😜

Bill

My Swing Thread

Would You Rather…? #16:

In general, i'll take solid contact and poor scores over bad play and good scores... unless I am playing in competition, whether for money or for glory. Then only the score matters! :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator
3 hours ago, billchao said:

Once I watched somebody hit this beautiful high draw 4i on a par 3. It was tracking at the flag the whole way. We heard a clunk and watched it ricochet 30 yards to the right. Hit the bottom of the cup on the fly. Good times. 😜

I heard it was about 30 feet and the golfer had a tap-in par.

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I heard it was about 30 feet and the golfer had a tap-in par.

Yea, but any good fish story needs a little embellishment 😜

Bill

My Swing Thread