IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes. And it’s not really opinion. The driver matters more.

You’re right. I’ve read LSW. There isn’t an argument that one could make with you that would be valid one this one. 

“Well what about those days my driver is shit and I can’t find the golf course?” 

Hit the longest club that you can safely hit for the rest of the round, then go work on your driver.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes. And it’s not really opinion. The driver matters more.

I have tried going w/o a putter in a 3 club challenge and tried going with 5w, 7i, and pw. Not having a putter was my Achilles heel, no question. I play just about as well without a driver as with it. People who say they can putt well with something besides a putter, I doubt. Yes, it is my opinion, whether others like it or not, I like the putter option. ;-)

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

I have tried going w/o a putter in a 3 club challenge and tried going with 5w, 7i, and pw. Not having a putter was my Achilles heel, no question. I play just about as well without a driver as with it. People who say they can putt well with something besides a putter, I doubt. Yes, it is my opinion, whether others like it or not, I like the putter option. ;-)

Have never been in an official 3 club challenge, but I do practice regularly in the back yard with chipping/pitching drills that include holing the ball with whatever iron I am using (7i thru 58*).  Makes for great work on putting "outside" the box.  I grew up having to improvise on a lot of things, this only enhances that ethic.  The driver, even when its not working, will get you there faster than any other club.  It is about learning the value of Separation Value, focusing on the tools needed to make the hole "shorter", i.e. reachable in the fewest strokes required.)  I love my old Odyssey White Steel #5 putter - but if something happened to it, I know I can use another club and get the putting done.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

Billy, you are entitled to your opinion. For me the distance difference between my driver and my 3 wood is pretty significant. 

To your point, I've known guys who hit their 3 wood just about as far as their driver. I've also known guys who seems to be able to crush drives with almost any driver you put in their hands. I personally, am not one of those people. I am always in a tricky love/hate relationship with my driver. There are periods of time when I think "I'll never trade in this driver." When my driver is working well, golf is so much fun. But then there are other weeks where I'm almost helpless off the teebox. When that's happening I'm usually considering giving up the game. Obviously, I'm choosing the driver, because my game tends to go the way my driver goes. And most of the fun factor of golf for me is tied to the driver. 

While I like my putter, I'm not sure I make more than a putt or two per round that I wouldn't make if you gave me my 6 year old daughter's putter. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Billy Z said:

The question wasn't about a three-club challenge, was it?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

43 minutes ago, iacas said:

The question wasn't about a three-club challenge, was it?

No, but it did make a good example of how difficult it would be to putt without your putter. Others have alluded to the idea of putting with a wedge or maybe another club, so my comment was to suggest how difficult that was for me and I would think for most people. Another point I would like to make is whether you have a driver you like/dislike or a putter you like/dislike is subjective to peoples own personal choice, skill level, and game. There were several on each side of the fence I think in this thread, so everybody is a bit different.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

No, but it did make a good example of how difficult it would be to putt without your putter.

The question didn’t specify you didn’t have your putter.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

The question didn’t specify you didn’t have your putter.

you're right 

Am I missing something? The question didn't mention the putter at all. It asked about playing older versus newer for driver/woods/hybrids versus irons. Explicitly excluded wedges and didn't mention putter at all.

Given the original question, gotta go with driver. I'm loving my new 2i, which I'm hitting not that much shorter than my driver, so I'm tempted to go irons. But the numbers tell me I'd do better with brand new and perfectly fit Driver, 3w, and 19˚ hybrid and 10yo irons. Maybe four years ago I switched from a at the time ~10yo driver and gained 20+ yards and found more fairways...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
1 hour ago, mdl said:

Am I missing something?

Yes. A different question.

On 6/4/2021 at 7:15 PM, WillieT said:

Have never been in an official 3 club challenge, but I do practice regularly in the back yard with chipping/pitching drills that include holing the ball with whatever iron I am using (7i thru 58*).  Makes for great work on putting "outside" the box.  I grew up having to improvise on a lot of things, this only enhances that ethic.  The driver, even when its not working, will get you there faster than any other club.  It is about learning the value of Separation Value, focusing on the tools needed to make the hole "shorter", i.e. reachable in the fewest strokes required.)  I love my old Odyssey White Steel #5 putter - but if something happened to it, I know I can use another club and get the putting done.  

I played a 3 club tournament last November and the stats from that event reads:  

Of the 120 players in the field, 50 players carried a putter. 15/15 players in the top 15 in the tournament carried a putter. You might think you can putt with a wedge or a hybrid, but most players will probably drop a lot of shots without a putter in the bag. 

I hit driver or wood maybe 10-12 times during a round on my home course (6300 yards), while the 70-80 other shots are made with irons, wedges and putter. I would still choose the latest tech for my longest clubs, because the tech has advanced more there in my opinion and those shots "matter" more. To be left with a club or two less in on the holes I hit driver cut a shot or two off every round I play. I don't think my old irons/wedges (I carry a 16 year old putter that I love) would damage my game as much....   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

On 5/26/2021 at 8:43 AM, WillieT said:

Would you rather #39 Given recent discussion of clubs and looking back over the thread as a whole, the thought came to me - which part of your game would you benefit most in regards to technology:  (1) Play the latest driver/fairway/hybrids but have to play irons (long-mid-short (not incl wedges)) that are a minimum 10yrs old or (2) Play the latest in irons (long-mid-short (again wedges excluded) but have to play driver/fairway/hybrids that are a minimum 10yrs old.  The caveat with wedges is that they tend to wear more quickly and are replaced more often.   

Figured it was about time for me to chime in as I started this question - for me it is option (1) as it is there that the greatest SV happens, it is there that you get yourself in position to have better shots into the green.   

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 9:43 AM, WillieT said:

Would you rather #39 Given recent discussion of clubs and looking back over the thread as a whole, the thought came to me - which part of your game would you benefit most in regards to technology:  (1) Play the latest driver/fairway/hybrids but have to play irons (long-mid-short (not incl wedges)) that are a minimum 10yrs old or (2) Play the latest in irons (long-mid-short (again wedges excluded) but have to play driver/fairway/hybrids that are a minimum 10yrs old.  The caveat with wedges is that they tend to wear more quickly and are replaced more often.   

I would much rather have the newer irons.  I think their technology has progressed a lot more than that of drivers.  Modern irons are so much more forgiving and longer than the older models.  Also, good irons mean you can hit closer to the pin.  I believe the advantage of being a couple of yards closer will be negated by the accuracy modern irons offer.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

53 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I would much rather have the newer irons.  I think their technology has progressed a lot more than that of drivers.  Modern irons are so much more forgiving and longer than the older models.  Also, good irons mean you can hit closer to the pin.  I believe the advantage of being a couple of yards closer will be negated by the accuracy modern irons offer.

You are just saying this based on stuff you see in advertisements. There has been very little to no real change in technology in the last decade. And none of that has benefitted good players. Most top level players use irons that are indistinguishable from what they played  twenty years ago. All that is happening is that manufacturers keep putting out irons that help poor players get the ball in the air and then lying about increased distance - as if that means anything. Hit your 150 yard club, whatever that is. Who cares if it's a 6 iron or a 7 iron?

Please give us a justification for the statement above in bold.

What on earth is the "accuracy that modern irons offer"? 

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

14 hours ago, Shorty said:

You are just saying this based on stuff you see in advertisements. There has been very little to no real change in technology in the last decade. And none of that has benefitted good players. Most top level players use irons that are indistinguishable from what they played  twenty years ago. All that is happening is that manufacturers keep putting out irons that help poor players get the ball in the air and then lying about increased distance - as if that means anything. Hit your 150 yard club, whatever that is. Who cares if it's a 6 iron or a 7 iron?

Please give us a justification for the statement above in bold.

What on earth is the "accuracy that modern irons offer"? 

Let me put it this way.  Modern irons, particularly GI and SGI are so much easier to hit.  They help you get the ball airborne more easily thanks to lower CG that you can have lower lofts for the same irons, which means you can hit it further.  Having more forgiveness means that they are easier to hit where you intend to.  Give me modern clubs and older blades essentially (GI and SGI definitely were not as prevalent earlier), and I would definitely be more accurate with the modern clubs

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Current Question: New tech driver and 10+ year old irons

Previous Question: Putter that I love with driver of the same brand I don't love

9 hours ago, pganapathy said:

you can have lower lofts for the same irons, which means you can hit it further.  

Please tell me that you are joking!!!!!!!!!!😳

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Shorty said:

Please tell me that you are joking!!!!!!!!!!😳

He’s not, no. It’s true.

Lower CG increases launch and decreases spin.