IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

2 hours ago, iacas said:

He’s not, no. It’s true.

Lower CG increases launch and decreases spin.

I know that. My comment was about loft, not CG. :-)

If a 7 iron is a 6.25 iron, you're not hitting your 7 iron further. 

I believe in having clubs that you know go a certain distance. The number on the bottom is immaterial.  My current irons have slightly strong lofts which is why I hit them further than my previous ones.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I know that. My comment was about loft, not CG. :-)

If a 7 iron is a 6.25 iron, you're not hitting your 7 iron further. 

I believe in having clubs that you know go a certain distance. The number on the bottom is immaterial.  My current irons have slightly strong lofts which is why I hit them further than my previous ones.

It’s a 7-iron if it launches in that window.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

They should just stamp lofts on the irons, similar to most wedges.  I think Hogan irons did this once.  

Why?

Just as all 7-irons don’t go the same distance neither do all 35 degree irons.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

They should just stamp lofts on the irons, similar to most wedges.  I think Hogan irons did this once.  

If you stamp lofts, would you also have to stamp lengths? ... How about weights? ... How about lie angle? (Although PING kinda does that.) Perhaps mark the center of gravity too? 

What happens if you bend them a degree or two, should you re-stamp that? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

15 hours ago, Shorty said:

Please tell me that you are joking!!!!!!!!!!😳

No. Just look at modern irons and see their lofts compared to clubs from 30 to 40 years ago.  Lofts are at least one or two clubs less, but the ball flight and characteristics are the same.  That is thanks to lower CG and perimeter weighting

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If you stamp lofts, would you also have to stamp lengths? ... How about weights? ... How about lie angle? (Although PING kinda does that.) Perhaps mark the center of gravity too? 

There's a lot of room on the soles for stamping.  Handicap could go on there, too. But between that and bending there's going to be a lot of grinding to make changes.  Then you'll have to put the "grind" on  there as well, like wedges.  At that point you can either play your clubs or read your clubs. 😁

Edited by Double Mocha Man
To add additional silliness
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Don’t tell Bryson this!😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 7/7/2021 at 9:33 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

There's a lot of room on the soles for stamping.  Handicap could go on there, too. But between that and bending there's going to be a lot of grinding to make changes.  Then you'll have to put the "grind" on  there as well, like wedges.  At that point you can either play your clubs or read your clubs. 😁

All this marking up the heads of clubs makes think of my Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scots - loft stamped on face, number stamped on the sole and lie angle (either upright/standard/flat) on the hosel.   How do they compare to my current irons - TaylorMade SLDR.  I can count on the TA 7iron and the SLDR 8iron going about the same - I tend to play clubs based on their lofts and not so much the number on the sole. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Would you rather…#1 Play in gusty winds, 10 - 30 mph with money on the line or perfectly calm conditions with gnats and mosquitoes buzzing around your face while you set up and execute shots?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Would you rather…#1 Play in gusty winds, 10 - 30 mph with money on the line or perfectly calm conditions with gnats and mosquitoes buzzing around your face while you set up and execute shots?

Definitely 1. My swing is decent in the wind. Mosquitoes are the main reason my summer practice sessions are shorter.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

As I have yet to play with money on the line, I am not qualified to say which I would rather.  (For non-monetary playing - I definitely prefer gusty winds to swatting bugs while trying to set up/execute shots.)       

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Number 2. I have 100% deet in my bag for this reason. I don’t mind those winds either, but I’ll take the calm. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I enjoy competition, and feel that I perform better than many players in wind, so I prefer the first.  In Virginia, we have gnats all summer long, I'm used to those, but I'd prefer to have the wind blow them away.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

#1 unless it’s yankee weather at sub 40 degrees. In that case….let them swarm.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

First option 100%. I cannot stand gnats on a humid day when I’m already somewhat miserable, and I actually like playing golf in the wind and with something on the line.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Money.. it's always more fun with a few bucks on the line. Bad weather is fine.

Vishal S.

#1 any time, any temperature and even in the rain. After moving from Michigan I don't know if I could go back to mosquitos and biting flies/gnats.