IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

• Administrator
4 hours ago, WillieT said:

#40 Would You Rather...

1) Putt on greens that are fast (say 11-12 on the stimpmeter) but relatively flat and somewhat predictable, the major punishment being it will roll forever if you miss the hole.  

OR

2) Putt on greens that are average (say 8-9 on the stimpmeter) but have great undulations, shelves that make you have to really think about how the ball will need to roll. 

#1. The separation is likely to be higher (even though more undulation may favor me too), and I'm also likely to putt better myself. So whether I'm after a good score or to beat someone, #1 is better for me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

#40 Would You Rather...

1) Putt on greens that are fast (say 11-12 on the stimpmeter) but relatively flat and somewhat predictable, the major punishment being it will roll forever if you miss the hole.  

OR

2) Putt on greens that are average (say 8-9 on the stimpmeter) but have great undulations, shelves that make you have to really think about how the ball will need to roll. 

I'll take #1 all day long.   

19 hours ago, WillieT said:

Having played greens this summer that ranged from mostly dirt/sand with some grass thrown in for good measure to greens so fast I was almost certain to have a 5-10 footer coming back if I missed the cup, I thought this may be a good "Would You Rather" topic given that the course conditions are optimal for a semi-private course:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

They both kinda sound like fun. I think I'd likely score better on the fast flatter green. It might take some time to get used to the speed. The slower more undulated green would be fun for me and some of my golf buddies. So, I'd definitely take option 1 ... unless I took option 2. I'd choose both or neither. So, I'm not going to sit on the fence. Unless I'm already sitting on the fence.... maybe?

16 hours ago, dennyjones said:

#40 Would You Rather...

OR

I'll take #1 all day long.   

Hands down 2 for me.  I prefer slightly slower greens because even if you misjudge the speed, you wouldn't be too far from the hole in general.  Fast greens, a miss means a knee knocker coming back at best and a potential three putt at worst since you are more than 5 feet past the hole most likely.  Undulations just mean you need to read the green better, but then I have never been a great reader of greens or a great putter.  All I am ever trying to do is get the ball close enough to the hole to take a given or have a relatively easy second putt