IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

Many private clubs sell single sleeves (about $15 for Pro V1s).  I think that's why they're packaged in this manner. 🤷‍♂️

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, HankBlue said:

Many private clubs sell single sleeves (about $15 for Pro V1s).  I think that's why they're packaged in this manner. 🤷‍♂️

Correct, however, companies often have targeted packaging for different trade partners. They could sell the box with sleeves to Pro Shops and a 12 pack box to stores like Golf Galaxy. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

Correct, however, companies often have targeted packaging for different trade partners. They could sell the box with sleeves to Pro Shops and a 12 pack box to stores like Golf Galaxy. 

That'd be great.  I hit Pro V1s because of how good they are...  but they are "pricey."

Snell's packaging is paper based only (although they are packaged in individual sleeves). It would be perfectly fine with me if they were simply boxed.

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

#2. As a golfer, I want it to be easier to get to balls and not throw away so many boxes. Reducing footprint there is good. 

In the industry, they sleeve it out because a sleeve is easier to sell than a box, at the course. A sleeve for many golfers is all they need for 1 round of golf. Or running a special that has a greens fee and a sleeve of balls. Specials with golf balls would be harder to do if there are not individual sleeves. Now that is something we could get around if need be. What has become more popular in last several years are matte balls that are sold individually in big fish bowls. 

I don’t see why we could sell all balls out of these bowls. People grab whatever number and however many they need. Mark up the price for individual balls but offer 10% off when 3 are bought and 20% when a dzn is bought. It’s an easy grab n go sell. 

For packaging purposes, it should be easy enough to put a sturdy-ish paper thing in to separate where the sleeves do now. The only question I have in my mind is if a person wants more than a handful and less than a dzn, how do you make it easier for the customer to carry? Should that be on the ball maker or the golf course? Courses would likely buy something more if the manufacturer has something. That brings us again back to sleeves. So, if sleeves go away, there still needs to be something in place for customers to carry balls with ease. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

#45 Would You Rather...

1) Have golf ball manufacturers continue to package golf balls in 4 sleeves of 3 and then box up the 4 sleeves into another box?   

OR

2) Have golf ball manufacturers reduce their packaging. Put all 12 balls in one box, or possibly a bag? 

I will go with #2 but not necessarily because of the environmental impact of the packaging.  Certainly, the packaging is excessive considering the ball is going to be hit by a golf club.  A box of 12, bag or whatever is fine. We are not talking about fruit or eggs that might bruise or break.

I tend to take the balls out of the sleeves and re-pack them so each sleeve has three different numbers.  When my ball count in the bag is low, I grab a sleeve.  If I ever need to hit a provisional, it is nice to have a mixture of numbers.  If the balls came in a single box or bag, it would save me the trouble of mixing them up.

Brian Kuehn

I always immediately unpack my golf balls and put them in my bag.  In fact, I've got 2 dozen Pro V1s just waiting for April. B-)

So... less packaging is actually better for me (less to remove).

MyBawls.JPG

7 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

#45 Would You Rather...

1) Have golf ball manufacturers continue to package golf balls in 4 sleeves of 3 and then box up the 4 sleeves into another box?   

OR

2) Have golf ball manufacturers reduce their packaging. Put all 12 balls in one box, or possibly a bag? 

#2 would be great for reduction of waste. But then why just 12? Maybe 2 doz/ 3 doz? Not sure where the sweet spot would be. 

I am sure the golf ball manfs have thought about it. I think a 3-pack sleeve is convenient/reasonable minimum qty for pro-shops to sell by 'breaking' a box. Not everyone would buy or need to buy a full box for a round.   

Good post.   

Vishal S.

27 minutes ago, HankBlue said:

I always immediately unpack my golf balls and put them in my bag.  In fact, I've got 2 dozen Pro V1s just waiting for April. B-)

MyBawls.JPG

Hank, I want to see your whole bag.  I have a Michigan fan friend... want to send him a pic of it.  He needs a new bag.  Where'd you order it?

43 minutes ago, HankBlue said:

Same is true for me. Less packaging would actually be easier for me too. I always unpack the whole dozen and put them in the bag. I don't have any use for the sleeve. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Just now, ChetlovesMer said:

Same is true for me. Less packaging would actually be easier for me too. I always unpack the whole dozen and put them in the bag. I don't have any use for the sleeve. 

The sleeve would be good for storing nutmegs, small pearl onions, martini tees, old Wendy's french fries.

• Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The sleeve would be good for storing nutmegs, small pearl onions, martini tees, old Wendy's french fries.

Staples, Paper Clips, Those little bottles of super glue that always seem to dry out and you can't get open. Maybe some Macadamia nuts, or Hersey's' kisses. Oh, what about old finger or toe nail clippings? 

You're right now that I think about it, there are tons of uses for those empty sleeves. 

• 1 month later...

Would you rather #46:

Would you rather?

1) Play on the PGA tour for 20 years. Win 10 majors and 50 tournaments. But then the world finds out you've been using PED's. The world thinks of you as a cheater. 

2) Play on the PGA tour for 20 years. You play just well enough to keep your tour card. You retire after 20 years on the tour and nobody notices. Only the most hard core PGA fans could even pick you out of a line-up.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #46:

Would you rather?

1) Play on the PGA tour for 20 years. Win 10 majors and 50 tournaments. But then the world finds out you've been using PED's. The world thinks of you as a cheater. 

2) Play on the PGA tour for 20 years. You play just well enough to keep your tour card. You retire after 20 years on the tour and nobody notices. Only the most hard core PGA fans could even pick you out of a line-up.

Not even close. I’m wealthy in the second scenario and got to play golf for 20 years.

You didn’t say I wasn’t on PEDs but I assume so in the second so I’m picking that one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You didn’t say I wasn’t on PEDs but I assume so in the second so I’m picking that one.

Your choice. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't? 

50 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #46:

Would you rather?

2 hands down.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Would you rather #46:

Would you rather?

Number 2, all day long.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #46:

Would you rather?

I would have to say option 2.  I guess my reputation matters to me.  I understand that option 1 would make me much wealthier though

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball