IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

13 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #48:

Neither of these are a lot of fun, but:

Would you rather play with a person who throws a tantrum every time he/she hits a bad shot?

Or 

Would you rather play with somebody who's not nearly as good as you, but insists on giving you advice? 

Hmm. Would I rather drive a nail through my left foot or my right foot? 🤔

Second guy. I can easily ignore him. I tend to be affected by other people’s moods, so if the first guy is aggravated, I’ll begin to get aggravated myself.

Also, just because a golfer isn’t as good as you doesn’t mean he can’t see something that’s actually valid. It depends on the advice being given.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #48:

Would you rather play with a person who throws a tantrum every time he/she hits a bad shot?

Or 

Would you rather play with somebody who's not nearly as good as you, but insists on giving you advice? 

I'm getting better about it, but I am the first guy.

The second guy, rare as he may be, bothers me more.  Given the amount of crying I generally do in the average day, it is real easy to tune that out. People planting thoughts in my head is a much more impactful thing and it is rarely for the better.

36 minutes ago, billchao said:

Also, just because a golfer isn’t as good as you doesn’t mean he can’t see something that’s actually valid. It depends on the advice being given.

That's a valid point. 

Really the quality of the player shouldn't matter. It's the quantity of advice that probably affects people more. If it's just a "Hey, here's something that works for me." Or "By the way, this hole dog-legs hard to the right up there beyond that tree." That's usually fine and well received. Where I think people start to lose their mind is when somebody continually gives swing tips during the round. That can make some folks just get totally over-loaded.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #48:

Or 

The second guy. Tantrums are not fun to be around. Like Bill said, you can ignore the advice.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Would You Rather #48:

Or 

Give me the eternal advisist most every time.  I can deal with someone offering advice, even if they are even more of a hack than me.  On the flipside, I don't care for temper tantrums, they tend to be a forever downer to those they are playing with.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Would You Rather #48:

Or 

This is an easy one. I'll take tantrum guy. As I really don't care for advice from anyone during a round. I'd personally find it funny to watch tantrum guy. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #48:

Or 

As said before, advice can be ignored, and generally is coming from a place of good intent, even if it is not useful or distracting. Adults having tantrums about playing a game are insufferable, IMO.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I would much rather avoid the temper tantrum player. Playing with a person like this would require awkward silence or even embarrassment; which is the least enjoyable golf environment in my opinion. I could give some back to the advice giver or at least blame their advice for my poorer shots. 

25 minutes ago, DoubleAce said:

I'd personally find it funny to watch tantrum guy. 

Me too. 

Both guys can be a pain in the arse. But tantrum guy is a lot more fun to make fun of. As long as he doesn't injure anyone. I once saw a guy slam his driver on the teebox marker in anger. The head of the driver flew off and missed hitting another guy in the face by only a few inches. That one could have ended badly. 

Another time I saw a tantrum guy slam his iron down in disgust, when doing so he let go of it and it bounced up and hit him in the nuts.... That was pretty damned funny. 

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Me too. 

Both guys can be a pain in the arse. But tantrum guy is a lot more fun to make fun of. As long as he doesn't injure anyone. I once saw a guy slam his driver on the teebox marker in anger. The head of the driver flew off and missed hitting another guy in the face by only a few inches. That one could have ended badly. 

Another time I saw a tantrum guy slam his iron down in disgust, when doing so he let go of it and it bounced up and hit him in the nuts.... That was pretty damned funny. 

LOL at that second story. 

Best tantrum story I can recall was caddying back in the day. There was one member who was a fiery little dude. Stood about 5 feet tall. But he had 10 feet of rage bottled up inside him. I didn't caddy for him often. But one round, he hits a bad shot, and launches his wedge into the woods. 

I opted to leave it in the woods. It was hot, I was doubling. I'll follow you and your ball wherever you hit it. But I'm not chasing wayward club tosses. 

We get up to the next green, a full par 5 away. He looks in his bag and says, "Where the hell is my wedge!". I reply, "I'd imagine it's in the woods where you tossed it." His face starts to get red, veins start to bulge, and he's ready to lay into me. I beat him to the punch and say, "Listen, I'm not a babysitter. If you want to throw tantrums, fine. But the consequences are on you. Save the energy you were going waste yelling at me, and use it to walk back and find that club."

There was a brief moment of silence in the group, and then the other members just start dying laughing. I'm sure the guy wanted to strangle me. But must have decided that'd be a bad idea with 2 attorneys present who really liked me. He instead opted to use a 9 iron. Played the last few holes without a wedge. And went back on a cart after the round to retrieve it. Actually got a tip from one of the other guys in the group that day, as a thank you for the good laugh. 😂

Maxfli Tour X

17 minutes ago, DoubleAce said:

"Listen, I'm not a babysitter. If you want to throw tantrums, fine. But the consequences are on you. Save the energy you were going waste yelling at me, and use it to walk back and find that club."

I wish I were the kind of person who could come up with things like this on the fly. I'd just say something like "It's not my job to chase your clubs" in a pissy tone and later come up with something genius like this like the next day 🤷🏼‍♂️

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Just now, mdl said:

I wish I were the kind of person who could come up with things like this on the fly. I'd just say something like "It's not my job to chase your clubs" in a pissy tone and later come up with something genius like this like the next day 🤷🏼‍♂️

I've been blessed with pretty quick wit. But I also keep my mouth shut more often than not, outside of being around close friends. Not sure what came over me that day to just blurt it out. 

Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

I'm getting better about it, but I am the first guy.

The second guy, rare as he may be, bothers me more.  Given the amount of crying I generally do in the average day, it is real easy to tune that out. People planting thoughts in my head is a much more impactful thing and it is rarely for the better.

From the OP I assumed full temper tantrums with thrown clubs and worse...basically a full on {word redacted} show. Sounds like you are more of  whiner and complainer but otherwise cool. I might give you a little grief about a lot of complaining, but I am going to give the whack job rando as much distance as possible and try to ditch the person as soon a possible. 

30 minutes ago, KMP said:

From the OP I assumed full temper tantrums with thrown clubs and worse...basically a full on {word redacted} show. Sounds like you are more of  whiner and complainer but otherwise cool. I might give you a little grief about a lot of complaining, but I am going to give the whack job rando as much distance as possible and try to ditch the person as soon a possible. 

I appreciate your confidence in me, but I'm not kidding at all. My temper has been a problem all my life in every aspect of life. It wasn't that long ago that 'whack job" probably would have been fair.

It's been a lot of steady work chipping away at it and things have gotten better.  At very least the guys I play with normally haven't changed the tee time and not told me.

Would You Rather #48:

Or 

I've walked off of a course when paired with #1 when it was excessive.   I can ask #2 to play his game and let me work on mine.   I'll take #2 all day long.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

23 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Would You Rather #48:

Or 

#1 guy/gal would just ruin the day.  I'll go with #2.  You never know where a gem of advice might come from.  Butch Harmon and Hank Haney couldn't beat Tiger but apparently they were able to give good advice...

Would You Rather #49:

Let's say you arrive at the course for your round and only have time for one of these:

Would you rather warm up at the putting green?

OR

Would you rather warm up on the driving range? 

9 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #49:

Let's say you arrive at the course for your round and only have time for one of these:

Would you rather warm up at the putting green?

OR

Would you rather warm up on the driving range? 

Give me the range.

I'm old and stiff enough that getting full swings in to loosen up is actually important. Having an actual ball to hit as opposed to swinging at air provides some context. I find that the first two or three holes can often be total disasters if I tee off cold.

All that said, I normally make a point to arrive early enough to avail myself of both the range and the green. Just getting a feel for the chipping stroke and seeing how the greens are rolling do help.

• Like 2