IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

On 11/16/2022 at 11:30 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #54: 

Think of this in a golf context. You can also comment on how it might affect your day to day life, but remember this is in the context of playing golf. 

The average height of a male in the US is 69" (5 foot, 9 inches) tall, female is 64" (5 foot, 4 inches) 

Would you rather be extremely tall, say 7 foot for a male, or 6'6" for a female?

or 

Would you rather be not particularly tall, say 5 foot even for a male, or 4'9" for a female?

(If you already are one of these heights then feel free to chime in how it's good or bad for golf, or life.)

At 5’ 7”, 5 feet seems fairly short. Ian Woosnam was 5’ 4”. Still, 7’ would be a real hassle on a daily basis. I reluctantly would take the 5’.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Would you rather #55:

Let's pretend the there's a huge tournament that's really important to you and its played at the end of the season. What ever the tournament is, you consider it "Your Major". 

Would you rather have spent the entire year practicing and playing on greens that are much slower than the ones you will be playing on in your big tournament?
OR....
Would you rather have spent the entire year practicing and playing on greens that are much faster than the ones you will be playing on in your big tournament? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

44 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #55:

Let's pretend the there's a huge tournament that's really important to you and its played at the end of the season. What ever the tournament is, you consider it "Your Major". 

Would you rather have spent the entire year practicing and playing on greens that are much slower than the ones you will be playing on in your big tournament?
OR....
Would you rather have spent the entire year practicing and playing on greens that are much faster than the ones you will be playing on in your big tournament? 

Goodness Chet! Why would I waste a whole year practicing on greens that aren’t like the ones I’m going to play? In any case, I would choose faster because I find it easier to adjust going to slower greens.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Would you rather #55:

OR....

I'd prefer to play on the faster greens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

40 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Would you rather #55:

OR....

I am with you, play on faster. It seems easier to adjust to slower greens but either way, it will be tough.

Brian Kuehn

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Goodness Chet! Why would I waste a whole year practicing on greens that aren’t like the ones I’m going to play? In any case, I would choose faster because I find it easier to adjust going to slower greens.

So in this (totally fabricated scenario) you have a home course which either has very fast greens or very slow greens and then you travel out to your tournament, maybe its a long way from home and it has either very slow or very fast greens but the opposite of what you are used to. 

Personally, I find it easier to adjust to fast greens than I do adjusting to slow greens. ... At least I think I do. I don't have any really proof of that. 

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #55:

OR....

I think option 1 as that is sort of what I see when the “winter” greens happen at what I call my home course. They get significantly faster in the winter so the touch has to adjust the speed down.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 12/17/2022 at 5:18 PM, WillieT said:

I think option 1 as that is sort of what I see when the “winter” greens happen at what I call my home course. They get significantly faster in the winter so the touch has to adjust the speed down.  

Are your greens really faster in the winter? I think where I live it goes the other way. 

Another reason I would suggest that playing the tournament on much faster greens is there would be less complaining from the tournament participants. I've played a few tournaments in my life and if the greens are fast people seem to be okay with it. But if the greens are slow people bitch and moan like the world's coming to an end. 

25 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Are your greens really faster in the winter? I think where I live it goes the other way. 

Another reason I would suggest that playing the tournament on much faster greens is there would be less complaining from the tournament participants. I've played a few tournaments in my life and if the greens are fast people seem to be okay with it. But if the greens are slow people bitch and moan like the world's coming to an end. 

Yeah - its how these greens have been since I've been playing this course.  The course pro told me that the speeds pick up in the winter and I tend to agree as they are definitely faster this time of year.  Maybe its how short they have cut the grass before it really starts to go dormant.  

In tourneys, yes faster is better.  Maybe its because we see how fast they talk the greens in the tourneys the pros play.  One local course that I play about 3 times a year has some of the fastest greens in the area along with some crazy undulations.  I love playing it, but also groan when I get too aggressive and have to putt back onto the green!  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• 4 weeks later...

Would You Rather #56:

Over your next 25 rounds;

Would you rather shoot 5 of your best rounds ever but also shoot 20 of your worst rounds ever?
Or...

Would you rather shoot 25 rounds of pretty much your average score?

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #56:

Would you rather shoot 5 of your best rounds ever but also shoot 20 of your worst rounds ever?
Or...

My "worst rounds ever" were pretty darn bad.

For the sake of what sanity I still have, I'm going with average.

Would You Rather #56:

Or...

I'd prefer to shoot 5 of my best rounds ever.   Five best rounds,  I'll take it.   It shows potential.   I can forget 20 of my worst rounds!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #56:

Or...

Sure, I'll go for the 5 best and 20 worst.  It'll be interesting to see how far under par I can shoot.  😀  I've been getting bored with almost the same score everyday.  It would be a nice change-up.  The pain'll be over in under 2 months... and I can brag about those 66's.

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #56:

Or...

Ouch! Good question. Problem…. It brings 59 into play but also 159. Im not sure I could live with myself if I shoot over 100 again, no matter if one of the rounds was 59. So I’ll have to take shooting about my average.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

15 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #56:

Or...

I would opt for 5 best. It would show I am improving and the 20 worst were maybe me being aggressive to try new things.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #56:

Or...

When I wrote this question I assumed I'd take my 5 best rounds ever mixed in with my 20 worst. That way I'd have the excitement and elation of shooting some great scores even if I had to struggle through some brutal rounds mixed in there. 

Having thought about it more, however, I think shooting a few stinkers and then a great round followed by more stinkers and then a great round would absolutely drive me insane. 

Normally if I have a terrible round I know why. I have either lost my swing and need to get help. OR I've recently started working on some stuff and those changes haven't stuck yet. If, however, I suddenly shoot a great round and follow it up with a series of stinkers. I'd have no idea where I'm at. I would constantly be wondering what's broken? What do I need to fix? What kind of golfer am I right now? 

On the other hand if I shoot 25 very average rounds in a row. At that point I'd know exactly what kind of golfer I am and where I am at with my practice. I'd likely know what to work on and I'd know just how much of the work I'm putting in has stuck. 

So, for the sake of my personal sanity, I think I'd take the series of very average rounds. 

18 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #56:

Or...

Sounds like my 2022 season. If there was some degree of variation in the 25 average scores (78-86) I would take that. 25 rounds at my average (82). If it was 25 rounds of 81-83, then give me the 5 great rounds and 20 disasters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

20 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #56:

Or...

It is a difficult one.  I will go with the 5 best, because those will be memorable rounds I will remember later in life.  The 25 average rounds I am unlikely to remember in a few months time, let alone a few years

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball