iacas

Would You Rather…?

592 posts / 30787 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Would you rather...? #19:

Be able to play golf as well as you do now BOTH righty and lefty, for the rest of your life… or… Reduce your handicap by 25% relative to +4 (i.e. an 18 is 22 strokes away, so 5.5 strokes) for the rest of your life?

Second option. At least I’ll be a better golfer than I am now for the rest of my life.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Be able to play golf as well as you do now BOTH righty and lefty, for the rest of your life… or… Reduce your handicap by 25% relative to +4 (i.e. an 18 is 22 strokes away, so 5.5 strokes) for the rest of your life?

I’ll go with option 1.  I don’t know my limit yet for how good I can get but I hope it’s better than +4.  25% for me compared to that isn’t much so being a solid golfer left handed too would be fun. 

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Number 2.

Why would I care about being able to play from both sides?

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Reduce by 25% hands down. Lefties are the devil’s spawn, eh @Vinsk?😜

My choice would defiantly be option 2.

25% would put me as a better than average player.  In my situation, I'll never be close to being a scratch golfer and it's out of reach to play the high tier courses.

FWIW, I'm choosing the first. Playing to a +1 righty and lefty would be sweet. Much sweeter than being a… +1.75 righty only.

I think @mvmac would choose the first option too, since he's already a +3.

14 hours ago, iacas said:

I've been thinking on this one and for it would be option 1.  Here's my reasoning - being equally adept at righty or lefty, means I have a complete world of options available. Just as I've read where some have found that by switching hands, they saw the ball better and swung the club better.  Who knows you may find that you can drive the ball slightly better as a lefty but play the short game better as a righty,  Then you could have the best "overall" bag available. Use left handed clubs when called upon and the same for right.  It would truly be a mixed bag of clubs.  

14 hours ago, iacas said:

#2 - I have no interest in playing both ways, so easy choice to reduce my handicap

36 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

#2 - I have no interest in playing both ways, so easy choice to reduce my handicap

This is a good point. IMO, the only reason you would even want to play ambidextrous  is to show off to your friends, who most likely are not ambidextrous.

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Option 2. I am already a +1, but I don't play often enough right handed, why would I need to add playing left handed too? Plus my buddy I play with is left handed and two left handers in the same group would be too much. 😜

40 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Option 2. I am already a +1, but I don't play often enough right handed, why would I need to add playing left handed too? Plus my buddy I play with is left handed and two left handers in the same group would be too much. 😜

Right?!

Hell, they might ask you to leave the course!  :-D

20 hours ago, iacas said:

Option #2. I see no reason to own a second set of clubs just to play left handed per option #1. 

20 hours ago, iacas said:

As a 9/10 handicap I would drop my handicap at least 3 strokes and stay at that level of "potential" for the rest of my playing life.  Playing equally well from both sides would be cool but there is no question I would prefer #2.

2 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

1 minute ago, bkuehn1952 said:

As a 9/10 handicap I would drop my handicap at least 3 strokes and stay at that level of "potential" for the rest of my playing life.  Playing equally well from both sides would be cool but there is no question I would prefer #2.

Ditto. And why would I even consider playing lefty? And incur the expense of a second set of clubs?

12 hours ago, iacas said:

FWIW, I'm choosing the first. Playing to a +1 righty and lefty would be sweet. Much sweeter than being a… +1.75 righty only.

I think @mvmac would choose the first option too, since he's already a +3.

That makes sense for you guys. Me? I'm a 13.8. So, a 25% reduction is 3.45 strokes! I'd take that in a heartbeat. 

15 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Ditto. And why would I even consider playing lefty? And incur the expense of a second set of clubs?

Yes, that occurred to me too.  Still, it would be a good way to hustle people.  Play nine righty.  Suggest at the turn that you go in and rent a lefty set and play for X dollars a hole.  Of course, it might shorten one's life span.

23 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

That makes sense for you guys. Me? I'm a 13.8. So, a 25% reduction is 3.45 strokes! I'd take that in a heartbeat. 

No, it's 4.45.

It's 25% of the difference from your index to a +4.

55 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, it's 4.45.

It's 25% of the difference from your index to a +4.

Oh! So that would get me under 10! Even better! Haven't been in single digits in quite a while!

Edited by Buckeyebowman