IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

Dave Pelz's Chipping Bible says it's a must to carry a low bounce wedge for hard pan lies or for opening up the club face (which increases bounce). That's were I got the idea to vary the bounce for the wedges in my bag. I'm not a good enough player to recommend that approach but it seems to be working for me.

I used to think that I needed a low-bounce wedge for hardpan. Then I switched to the Utley style of pitching. Based on something he says in his book, I tried using a 56 with 11 degrees of bounce to hit off concrete. No problem (It was an old worn out Vokey)

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

• 1 year later...

I am looking at getting a new wedge set, Miura or Scratch most likey. I have used 52, 56, and 60 set for years. Wondering now what other folks use and why. I see some folks use only two wedges, perhaps a 54 and 58 or a 55 and 60. What do you guys use for wedges?

-Dan

I carry a 50, 56 and 60. I've also got a 48 degree Rac wedge which has made it into the bag because I broke my 4 iron so and had some extra space in the bag. My Nicklaus PW is about 44 degrees, so it's pretty strong lofted, but if you count that I currently carry five wedges.

I will certainly be ditching one of either the 48 or 50 when the 4 iron is repaired. Trouble is I really like both of them and having a hard time deciding  which to keep.

If I was to analyse my play though, I think I'd be best to ditch at least one other wedge and add something in the 5 wood or 3 iron area - that's where my biggest yardage gaps are at the moment. I use my 48 or 50 for virtually every approach shot from 120 metres to chipping from the fringe, and only pull out the higher lofted clubs for bunkers or flop shots.

I think my next wedge purchase will be a 48-54-60 set up, or maybe not even bother with the 60.

BTW, if you come across Pelz wedges give them a go - I think they're as good as any wedges out there.

• Upvote 1

TaylorMade R9 9.5° | Cleveland Launcher 15° | Cleveland Halo 19° 2-iron | Bridgestone J33 4-PW | Pelz 50°-56°-60° | Odyssey Marxman Blade | Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I have a 47* PW, 52, 56, and 60. I would set your wedges based on the course you are playing. I have said it a few times before, but think about it like this: How many pins are you going to be chasing from outside 200 yards? I would rather have 4 clubs giving me multiple angles of attack from inside 120 yards. Whenever someone asks if they should drop a wedge for something longer it confuses me. Why would you drop a scoring club?

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

I have a 47* PW, 52, 56, and 60. I would set your wedges based on the course you are playing. I have said it a few times before, but think about it like this: How many pins are you going to be chasing from outside 200 yards? I would rather have 4 clubs giving me multiple angles of attack from inside 120 yards. Whenever someone asks if they should drop a wedge for something longer it confuses me. Why would you drop a scoring club?

I have the same set up for the same reason.  I would much rather have a number of options in the scoring areas than off the tee or from further out.  I had been contemplating removing my 60 only because I was only using it once or twice a round but since I have been taking lessons it has proved to be a little more valuable.  I would think that shorter hitters might benefit from just going with a three wedge system because they may need that extra wood in the bag for longer shots.  I would also take a look at the courses that you regularly play as well.  Depending on the conditions or the length, that may provide further insight as to your bag setup; as previously mentioned.

• Upvote 1

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

I have a 47* PW, 52, 56, and 60. How many pins are you going to be chasing from outside 200 yards? I would rather have 4 clubs giving me multiple angles of attack from inside 120 yards.Why would you drop a scoring club?

although a good argument, I am going to only SLIGHTLY disagree ;)

I have mentioned this before, and i should really find what magazine it is - im sure it's GOLF Magazine bu SI , but not 100%

anyways.....

in this magazine it outlines all the tournaments of the year, the previous winners and what was in their bag

what i found most interesting....there was ONE, yes ONE person that used more than 2 wedges (not including the PW) - and it was Philly MAC

AND only one person had one wedge w more than 60º of left.....want to guess who??? yep...Philly Mac again w a 64º wedge

the majority of the field also uses a 2 wedge set up, usually consisting of a 53<54>55 and a 58<59>60 set up

i too used a 52,56,60 setup for half of the year and most of my "golf career" if you can call it that

i rarely used the 52 and when i did, it was ALWAYS a half choked down punch type shot that really wasnt all that pretty

i have tried moving to a 54,58 set up, but found that I REALLY REALLY missed the 60 in the bag

so....im now back to a set up which included a PW bent to 49º, a 54 and 60º

if you practice and practice A LOT with a 60, it can become the most versatile club in your bag........the first 3 rounds with it, i was ready to toss it ni the bin

but i spent a week on the range with it and on the practice green with it to master its technique

want to know the key to a good LW - buying one w a grind and bounce option that suits your game

it may take a few to test, but trusting this club WILL help you score lower - BUT YOU HAVE TO PRACTICe with it

i think haveing LESS wedges is more beneficial to your game as it forces you to be creative and practice your short game more

if you can just pull another club, it makes the decision hard, as you have 4 wedge choices

pull that 54 60 and use some imagination and use what you practice on the course

learn how to use lower lofted irons around the green like a 5 or 8i even a hybrid or fwy wood and your putter!

my favourite shot is delofting a 60º and punching a lowe flyer that hits, and stops in its own tracks beside the hole

this shot is SO USEFUL, especially as it is always windy here and you rarely can mess this one up

• Upvote 1
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

46* pitching wedge and then 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  the 52 is dialed in for 100 yard approach shots, i have the higher bounce 56 for the sand and a lower bounce 60 that i use for a variety of shots.  i practice with my 60 a probably depend on it a little too much but i love it.

• Upvote 1

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

Originally Posted by enis750

my favourite shot is delofting a 60º and punching a lowe flyer that hits, and stops in its own tracks beside the hole

this shot is SO USEFUL, especially as it is always windy here and you rarely can mess this one up

That is one of my favorite shots as well. I know I can attack a pin at a very very low angle and its going to grab and stop. My main use for my 60 is inside 60 yards to front and middle pins. I can land it 5-7 feet past and back the ball up to the pin. It also helps when I am chipping and I want to avoid some undulation on the green or chipping to a pin up on the back tier of the green.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I have a 47* PW (with my iron set), a 54* SW (that I might change to 56* next time I buy a new one), and a 60* LW. my yardage gaps a 130, 107ish, and 80. I want to change that 54* for a 56* because a 56* should be spot on 100 yards.

I suppose I could go to 4 wedges (including the PW), but I don't see any long club to take out. Also, adding/taking off distance is one of my strengths, so I am comfortable with the fairly large yardage gaps.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

@ the OP:

after your reccomendation to look at "different" wedge companies i did some research on Miura, Bstone, Tourstage and a few others

general consensus: Muira was a close second, but quite pricey for what you get i think

I think Scratch has a quality product for an affordable price

i chose the 8620 wedges for a few reasons:

1. Cast, not forged - hoping to be a little more durable and will last longer

2. ABC grooves - all bite no chew - these are the real deal from what i have read

3. Affordability - for the price i paid for both mine shipped to me, was less than an OTR VR Wedge or Vokey or anything comparable

4. Grind/Bounc Options - there are many and this is key when chossing a wedge IMO

whatever you choose in the end, i think you would be very happy w a 2 wedge set up eithe in Miura or Scratch

• Upvote 1
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Since I have a few wedges (some purchased used, some purchased new) I let my iron set be the guide

If the PW is good for pitching (some aren't) then it's probably a 48 and I add a 54 and 60 or a 53 and 58.

If the PW is not so good for pitching, I use a GW bent to 50-51 and add a 56 and 60.

Either way, I gotta have good wedge for pitching, a good SW for greenside shots (some are better than others), and a versatile 60.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have never understood why people carry so many wedges. I carry a 54 and a 60. My PW is a 47. But I only use my PW from 120 - 130. The 54 and my 60 are the "inside of 110 yard scoring clubs". I can hit any shot needed with those two clubs depending on grip, ball placement, swing plane, face, etc. Most people I give advice to I recommend this setup and it is has to due with how much time most of us have to practice. Why not only have to dial in two clubs instead of three or even four? Good luck with your decision.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

My wedges go 47, 54 and 58. I really like the set up as it gives me good yardage gaps. I have no problems out of the sand and I'm able to play a series of different shots. However, for my next set of wedges I'm going to take out my AP2 PW and buy Miura or Scratch wedges. I'll most likely order 48, 53 and 58 but that will largely depend on what's available for lefties.

Dan,

I am sure the better players here 10< are handy short gamers and play the shots well no matter what wedges they choose.

Im gonna give you a different theory, and i may change this once i improve but for now here goes.

I myself did, and still do suffer with the short game. Entirely because i never used to practice it. I have changed my practice to include 50/50 short/long game (realise i could still improve this).

I have a PW48, 52, 56, 60. I decided to target specifically shots under 100 meters because i noticed if i was under 100 i would struggle to hit the green due to me having to guess how hard to swing. So i purchased the 52 gap wedge and it has helped. I went out and hit full and half shots with each wedge and noted the distances.

Full:

52 - 100m

56 - 90m

60- 80m

Half:

52 - 70m

56 - 60m

60 - 45m

So this gave me alot of options under 100m which i now feel confident hitting the green with.

Moral of the story, I thought it best to cover yardage gaps by buying the 52 gap wedge as I already had the 48,56,60. I also found it easy to remember the distances with half, full swings.

Now this may not be the right way to go about it, and I myself am looking at new wedges once i get my new irons. The loft of the new PW will determine which lofts i go for in the wegdes though.

Just my 2 cents, and i take all constructive criticism on board.

• Upvote 1

Dan,

One thing to check out when you select your wedge mix is the shaft length of the individual wedges. While shafts on numbered irons usually have 1/2" increments up and down the set, you can't always count on this for the specialty wedges.

For Cleveland, the CG14 had 1/4" length differences between the pitch/gap, and the sand/lob wedges. The CG15 has 1/8" increments pitch-to-gap, gap-to-sand, sand-to- lob. Or, you can specify the shaft gaps for minimal costs with a factory order. (Drawback, probably won't be able to get sale prices).

Vokey has 1/4" increments between different types of wedges (pitch, gap, sand, lob).

The manufacturer web sites give spec sheets on different wedge models.  Lots of possibilities.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

i carry a standard pw for about 130 yrds, a 55 for 110, 58 for 90 to 100 and a 64 for 80 to 90! usually chip with my 58, seems to get quite a bit of check with that!

ZL Driver 10.5 Voodoo stiff shaft
F speed 3 wood stiff shaft
909 H Rescue
AP2 4-pw KBS Tour Stiff shafts
Forged 55 SV 58 SM 60 Tour action 64 Newport 1.member of www.shirlandgolfclub.co.uk

PW (48*), 52*, 56.10 and I recently added 60.10.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2