IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

For discussion ... I'm curious for the guys that carry 4 or 5 wedges ... what other clubs are you sacrificing to carry the extra wedges ?       I have a hard enough time finding room for 3 wedges (in addition to the 3 wedges I mentioned above ... I carry 4-9 irons, 1 hybrid, 5 wood, niblick, putter & driver) ?

Driver, 3w, 19* hybrid, 4-9, pw, aw, sw, gw.

If by niblick you mean a chipper, that is the most obsolete club currently in production by far. I'd much rather have a wedge over a 42* putter.

watch it bub ... don't be dissin' my niblick It's an awesome club ... so much more reliable than a putter from the long fringe.      BTW, niblick sounds so much more respectable than chipper, doncha think  ...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bounce, grind, sole, head shape, weight. If I handed you a 46° Edel wedge and my 46° MP4 PW the difference would be plain to see. One is more like an iron and the other more like a wedge.

Dang! I was hoping you had one of these: Neither statement is a hard fact in every case. But I understand what you mean. One question, when you get greenside and you realize you left

And my GW is more similar to your PW than it is to a SGI 9-iron.  Is my GW not a wedge?   I keep it simple.  If it says wedge on it, I consider it a wedge.  

Posted Images

No reason to knock the Niblick-utility wedges, irons, and woods have been around for over 100 years.  The current Niblick is actually very versatile.  I agree it's probably not worth it if you're a single digit 'capper, or your wedge/chipping game is your strong suit-but I'd recommend the Niblick to nearly every bogey golfer over the 60* LW they all seem to carry.

I've got a bunch of wedges, what I use depends on which irons I'm using and the course I'm playing.

Pitching wedges from my iron sets-

Mizuno MX-200 45*

MacGregor MT Pro-CM 47*

Nike Forged Pro Combo 47*

Titleist Tour Model Blades 49*

Along with Adams TW PVD 52/7*, Vokey SM 52/8*, Adams TW Classic 54/10*, Adams TW PVD 56/13*, MacGregor MT Pro DW 58/10*, Adams TW PVD 60/7*

Played 4 wedges for a long, long time.  Then discovered the versatility of the 54 degree wedge and now play only 3 wedges: PW, 54, & 60   This allows me to carry a 3 iron as well as a rescue wood, plus a 14 degree 3 wood and driver, which fits the courses I play most.  Thought I would miss the 4 wedge set-up, but the 3 wedge approach has worked very well.

Originally Posted by Gerald

I am quite surprised that the current standing is that over 50% use 4 wedges as this subject has been around here many, many, many, times and a lot of golfers actually went back from 4 wedges (including the set's PW) to 3 wedges (including the set's PW).

I agree that having 4 or even 5 wedges means having a lot of options ...... butt for me it is much safer to chip a 9i close than hitting a flopshot or a high pitch when I am 10 yards off ...... So I only use 3 wedges 47* PW - 52* GAP - 58* SW/LW mix.

From the bunker I use both the 52 or 58, depending on distance and sand condition. The 58 is also great from the rough .....

The less options, the more control is my 2 cents.

I agree. I've experimented with a 60* and it can be a useful club. But I found I simply didn't use it that much. I get more use out of carrying an extra wood. So I use 46, 52 and 56 degree wedges.

I carry 3.

Titleist AP2 PW (47*)

Vokey 54.11

Vokey 58.08

I'd like the 54.11 to go a bit further. At the moment, my PW is 120 yards, my 54.11 is about 95 and the 58.08 is about 83. If I could get a few more yards out of that club, it'd be much easier for my distance gaps. That's also the reason why I'm contemplating buying a 48* Vokey with my next set of iron or weaken the loft the PW by 1/2 degrees.

My PW is more of the fairway club, I use it for low pitch shots up a ridge or full swing / punch shots. My 54 / 58 are both very versatile even though the 58 gets the majority of the use.

I use it mainly on greenside shots (I guess I can only blame myself for shortsiding me) and pitch shots, chip shots that I want to spin.

I carry 3 right now but will have four next year. I have a PW and then this year our local pro will be building me a 52, 56, and a 60 wedge with the same specs as the CG15's.

I might be wrong, but I thought a AW and a GW was about the same thing.

Originally Posted by max power

AW and GW?  Curious what the loft is on both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Par

PW, AW, GW, SW and LW

Originally Posted by Radford Wooly

I might be wrong, but I thought a AW and a GW was about the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by max power

AW and GW?  Curious what the loft is on both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Par

PW, AW, GW, SW and LW

They are.  These may have different lofts, but some manufacturers have chosen to call the gap wedge an "A" wedge, whatever that means.  It's still a gap wedge functionally.  Carrying both is a  bit odd.  For me that would just be adding unnecessary complications to my greenside shot selection process.  By actual count of what's in his sig, if he's carrying that "A" wedge he has 15 clubs.

• 2 years later...

I'm new to the game so apart from the PW included in my beginner's golf set (I think its a 48 o loft), I just recently added a 56 o Callaway Forged + Vintage Sand Wedge with a flex iron shaft. I'm planning to add a lob wedge soon; just saving up for it.

Once I get that club, I should have filled my first tournament club limit. I've read in the forum, that since these are scoring clubs, you can take away the fairway woods and hybrids but keep the wedges because they bring you closer to the cup. I'm going to take that to heart and start adding more of them.

-----

In my bag:

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 10 o Driver

Voit XP Graphite Reg Flex 3 Wood

TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood (19 o )

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid (19 o )

Voit XP 24 o Hybrid Graphite Reg Flex

Voit XP 5 to 9 irons Graphite Reg Flex

Voit XP 48 o PW Graphite Reg Flex

Callaway Forged + Vintage Sand Wedge (56 o )

Voit XP Standard Blade Putter

PW 45*,GW50*,VK54*,VK58*

I'm seriously considering having either my 54 bent to 55* or my 58* bent to 57* and go with one. I think I'm more inclined to go 55*. But I think I'll go have a trackman session first and figure out my gaps and go from there.

Three wedges in the bag: 52, 56 and 60. I'm a shorter guy, so they are all cut down 1 inch from standard, as is the case with the rest of my clubs.

• iacas changed the title to How Many Wedges Do You Carry?