teece31

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

422 posts / 114368 viewsLast Reply

I have 5!. Di11 PW 43* (really a 9i), 48*, 52*, 56*, 60* all Wilson Staff Tw9. Going to drop 52&56 for the stock Di11 SW (55*) and add a 3 hybrid i think....

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I only count 2 as wedges -- specialty clubs -- the 55 and 60.

The 45 and 50 are just irons.

This labeling stuff is imho, irrelevant to my game. It's how you use the wedges and what they're meant to do.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With the way the iron sets are configured these days it is getting harder to not have 4 wedges.  I have a pitching wedge that is 45 degrees, as strong as the 9 iron  I had, and have a 50, 55 and 60.   I don't even carry a 5 iron right now because the new 6 is the same loft as the old 5.

I carry 3: 46* pitching, 54* sand, and a 60* lob. I have been toying with the idea of dumping my 3 iron and adding a 50* gap. Probably will end up going this route.

I carry 4 wedges. My PW and AW are strong though, 45* & 50* respectively. I use the 50* as most people use a PW. Then I've got a 56* SW that I rarely gets pulled out of the bag and a 60* that I use way too often. I'm thinking of pulling the 56 and 60 for a 54* and a 58*. I don't know much about picking wedges, but I think I could keep myself out of a little trouble by going to the 58*. Then I could drop the 56* down to 54* which might give me a little more use out of that particular spot in my bag.

Nike VR Pro

PW: 47

Vokey's

SW: 54

LW: 60

Though sometimes I throw in or sub depending on conditions:

Vokey's

I have 5!. Di11 PW 43* (really a 9i), 48*, 52*, 56*, 60* all Wilson Staff Tw9. Going to drop 52&56 for the stock Di11 SW (55*) and add a 3 hybrid i think....

43* pw!! That's strong! I thought mine was strong at 45! I also carry 5 wedges inc 2 x sw! [quote name="MPtheKid" url="/t/3396/how-many-wedges-do-you-carry/180#post_944738"]I carry 3: 46* pitching, 54* sand, and a 60* lob. I have been toying with the idea of dumping my 3 iron and adding a 50* gap. Probably will end up going this route. [/quote] Sounds a good idea to me! Mine are:- Pw 45 Aw 50 Sw 56 low bounce Sw 56 high bounce Lw 62

Back when I started playing golf a 2 wedge set up was pretty common, even though most people seemed to carry 3 wedges. Today I think 4 wedges seems to be the norm. PW, GW, SW and LW. That's what I carry. Some sets are so low lofted (I'm looking at you Roque X) that folks will add a 5th wedge. 

So, I'll ask: How many wedges do you carry? 

I carry four wedges, (P-L) but in reality I could get by with just two. 

I have seldom used all four wedges in an 18 hole round of golf. Usually it's just my AW, and LW. 

With four, there are more options available to me. Maybe I need more bounce. Maybe my zero bounce wedge will work better. It just depends on what I can do with the shot I need to make. 

I think the key point to how many wedges a golfer carries, should be based on their knowledge on how their wedges are designed to be use. 

I carry 5 wedges, I play titleist ap1 irons so I have a P and a W in the set at 43 and 48 degrees I believe then I have a set of Wilson wedges 52,56 and 60 degrees. I use every one of them regularly far more often than my 5 or 6 iron, even than my 7 iron to be honest. 

I carry 48-54-60 (see below).

For several years I carried 46* set PW, and 50-54-58 from Cleveland CG14 family.

For various reasons, I found that on a given round I would mostly 46* or 50* for pitches around the green. No reason for choice of day. Also, I found yardage overlaps in my wedge matrix.

When testing Callaways I stumbled across a 60* LW I could hit fairly well, so went to the current mix. (Also, three wedges is much easier to practice than four).

In my TaylorMade backup bag, I have four wedges: SLDR 46* PW and 51* AW, plus Tour Preferred 56*/12 SW and TP.R Tour Grind 60*/10 LW.

The PW and AW both have excellent feel, and their own special uses for me.

4 hours ago, billchao said:

My PW is a 10i so it doesn't count as a wedge.

Is it actually labeled as a 10 iron? I've seen a few of those in my day.

If so please include a photo. 

26 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Is it actually labeled as a 10 iron? I've seen a few of those in my day.

If so please include a photo. 

No, I'm saying it's exactly like my 9i but with more loft. There are no wedge-like elements to it at all and calling it a "wedge" is a bit of a misnomer IMO.

I carry 4 wedges, and yes I use all of them. Sand wedge is my most used wedge as it’s my usual all purpose around the green kind of tool. Pitching wedge is the highest lofted club I’ll take a full crack at usually, and will use it for a bump and run every now and then. AW i typically utilize as partial wedge to fill a gap. Lob wedge used to be the all purpose wedge, but now is only used one day or twice a round when I want the ball to stop quickly or get it up in the air even quicker.