IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

Since I just got new irons I am considering putting a 3 iron back in the bag along with a new hybrid. This will mean I have to eliminate a club. I think I will most likely go with 46 (standard set pitching wedge) 54 and 60

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

Its funny - I'm seeing a pattern ... many of the lower hcp's seem to be lighter on wedge selection and have more long clubs.    SamGray above for example - I could never deal with a gap from 46 to 54 degrees in my wedges - would result in way more half or 3/4 shots that I'm comfortable with, but I'm not a 7 hcp.      This is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in a while - how we all approach wedges selection is quite different...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its funny - I'm seeing a pattern ... many of the lower hcp's seem to be ligher on wedge selection and have more long clubs.    SamGray above for example - I could never deal with a gap from 46 to 54 degrees in my wedges - would result in way more half or 3/4 shots that I'm comfortable with, but I'm not a 7 hcp.      This is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in a while - how we all approach wedges selection is quite different...

I love creating shots which makes the 3 wedge setup suit me more. I love to hit little finesse shots and I actually had a vokey 46 before this new set and that was awesome. I think that for me the best way to shave strokes off will be to hit more greens from long range which is why I am maximizing my options for 200+

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

I'm pretty long off the tee so i like to carry 4 wedges. i have my pw thru 60… 47, 52, 56 and 60. my thought process from 8 iron thru my 60 is that they are my approach clubs and I'm trying to keep my swing down to 3/4 maybe a little more but definitely not a full shot unless I'm trying to manipulate the flight of the ball. i can hit my pw 150 maybe more but i never like to swing that hard and its difficult to control the distance. only playing for a little over 2 years, I'm still learning and my main focus is distance control. my number for my pw is 135 max and thats pushing my comfort zone. rarely use my 60 unless I'm around 60-70 yards, mostly using it around the greens or if i need that ball to stop or bring it back a bit. i try not to get too cute with my shots and aim right at the pin with a swing i know that i can control.

its pretty neat seeing how everyone thinks it thru and designs their bags to fit their game. thanks everyone for their input and i hope mine can help somebody as well

I'm pretty long off the tee so i like to carry 4 wedges. i have my pw thru 60… 47, 52, 56 and 60. ...

A guy who plays on the mini-tours practices out of our golf club. I had a chance to talk wedges with him. He said the long hitters usually carry 4 wedges to get more choices up close. As a medium hitter he carries only carry three. That way, he can get in another long club for the 220-yard range.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Pw 45 Gw 50 Sw 56 Lw 62 Only use the 62 for in, or over deep green side bunkers with little green to play with! Then up to 4i 5w & 3w Driver & putter = 14 I'm happy with my short game set up! But I'm considering a change in the long clubs!

Gaz Lee

PW: 46

SW: 54

LW: 60

I find that this combo is pretty versatile and I rarely feel the need to add another wedge. I do practice partial PWs enough so that I am comfortable in that 105-110 yard approach range.

• 3 weeks later...
I have 5!. Di11 PW 43* (really a 9i), 48*, 52*, 56*, 60* all Wilson Staff Tw9. Going to drop 52&56 for the stock Di11 SW (55*) and add a 3 hybrid i think....

I only count 2 as wedges -- specialty clubs -- the 55 and 60.

The 45 and 50 are just irons.

This labeling stuff is imho, irrelevant to my game. It's how you use the wedges and what they're meant to do.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

With the way the iron sets are configured these days it is getting harder to not have 4 wedges.  I have a pitching wedge that is 45 degrees, as strong as the 9 iron  I had, and have a 50, 55 and 60.   I don't even carry a 5 iron right now because the new 6 is the same loft as the old 5.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

• 4 months later...
I carry 4 wedges: PW: Cleveland CG16 47* GP: Cleveland REG 52* SW: Cleveland REG 56* LW: Cleveland REG 58* (or 60* depending on course)

- Jason

"When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment or the moment defines you."

I carry 4 wedges. My PW and AW are strong though, 45* & 50* respectively. I use the 50* as most people use a PW. Then I've got a 56* SW that I rarely gets pulled out of the bag and a 60* that I use way too often. I'm thinking of pulling the 56 and 60 for a 54* and a 58*. I don't know much about picking wedges, but I think I could keep myself out of a little trouble by going to the 58*. Then I could drop the 56* down to 54* which might give me a little more use out of that particular spot in my bag.

Titliest Vokey SM5's 50 degree 54 degree 58 degree

Ping G25 Driver 9.5 degree

Cobra Baffler 3 wood 16 degree

Titleist 913hybrid 19 and 23 degree

Titleist AP2 714 5 - 9 irons

Titleist Vokey SM5 50 , 54, 58 degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter

I have 5!. Di11 PW 43* (really a 9i), 48*, 52*, 56*, 60* all Wilson Staff Tw9. Going to drop 52&56 for the stock Di11 SW (55*) and add a 3 hybrid i think....

43* pw!! That's strong! I thought mine was strong at 45! I also carry 5 wedges inc 2 x sw! [quote name="MPtheKid" url="/t/3396/how-many-wedges-do-you-carry/180#post_944738"]I carry 3: 46* pitching, 54* sand, and a 60* lob. I have been toying with the idea of dumping my 3 iron and adding a 50* gap. Probably will end up going this route. [/quote] Sounds a good idea to me! Mine are:- Pw 45 Aw 50 Sw 56 low bounce Sw 56 high bounce Lw 62

Gaz Lee