IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

How many wedges do you carry and lofts do they have? Right now I only have one . It is a 50.5 PW (Ping Eye 2) and I'm trying to figure out the next step for my wedges. I was thinking a 56 SW and 61 Lob wedge, does that sound about right or should I have different lofts, or maybe even four wedges? Also, is there potential for problem to arise in getting different brand wedges (PW-Ping SW/LW-Cleveland)?

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bounce, grind, sole, head shape, weight. If I handed you a 46° Edel wedge and my 46° MP4 PW the difference would be plain to see. One is more like an iron and the other more like a wedge.

Dang! I was hoping you had one of these: Neither statement is a hard fact in every case. But I understand what you mean. One question, when you get greenside and you realize you left

And my GW is more similar to your PW than it is to a SGI 9-iron.  Is my GW not a wedge?   I keep it simple.  If it says wedge on it, I consider it a wedge.  

Posted Images

How many wedges do you carry and lofts do they have? Right now I only have one

CusePhil,

No problem at all with mixing wedges. Pick what fits your eye and game the best. You'd be very surprised at the number of mixed sets on Tour, and the number of Eye 2 lob wedges out there. As far as filling your loft gaps, since your pitching wedge is so weak lofted, by modern standards, you likely won't need a gap wedge. I would start by adding a 55 degree sand wedge. You may have to buy a 54 or 56 and get it bent a degree which is no problem. There are so many things to consider in terms of grooves, sole grinds, and bounce angles, you might need to start a new thread to help you decide which one you should pick up. Once you feel comfortable with the sand wedge, I would add a lob wedge in either 59 or 60 degrees. A lob wedge is a little more difficult to hit than many might think, but it is simply an invaluable tool around the greens when you've short sided yourself.

I carry 4 wedges right now, used to be 5 till I wondered why my bag was so heavy.

They are:

PW - Nicklaus EZ-UP
52 - Cleveland CG-10
56 - Cleveland CG-11
60 - Cleveland CG-11

Since adding in the 56 and 60 degree wedges I have been much better around the greens.

I carry four wedges:

1. Titleist Pitching Wedge
2. Titleist Gap Wedge
3.Titleist Spin Mill 56.14* Sand Wedge
4. Titleist Spin Mill 60.04* Lob Wedge

I don't carry the lob wedge in tournaments that require 14 clubs, as it is my 15th club. I do carry it for general play and especially for practice sessions, as I am attempting, with some small amount of luck, to acquire some skill with it. All my wedges have the same shaft as my other irons: NS Pro 100 regular flex.

Yet again, thanks for the valuable help gas_can. I really appreciate it. By the way, you say my PW at 50.5 is weak, is the normal PW around 47 or so?

CusePhil,

Yes, most pitching wedges today are between 46-48 degrees.

I carry 3, although I have 4:

Tourstage z101 PW - 47.5*
Callaway X-Tour Vintage GW - 52*
Callaway X-Tour Vintage SW/LW - 58*

Also have a Hippo Gun Metal LW - 60*, but this doesn't get in the bag these days.

• iacas changed the title to How Many Wedges Do You Carry?