IGNORED

Is This Legal - Marking Ball with Toe of Putter?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Reading through this and the rules, I am still not sure if it is legal t....

Ball maker is a specifically defined term:  I wouldn't think a putter is  a "small piece of equipment?"

Ball-Marker

An artificial object when used to mark the spot of a ball to be lifted, such as a tee, a coin, an object made to be a ball-marker or another small piece of equipment..  

Edited by guiseppe

9 minutes ago, guiseppe said:

Reading through this and the rules, I am still not sure if it is legal t....

Ball maker is a specifically defined term:  I wouldn't think a putter is  a "small piece of equipment?"

Ball-Marker

An artificial object when used to mark the spot of a ball to be lifted, such as a tee, a coin, an object made to be a ball-marker or another small piece of equipment..  

Did you not read post #2?

14.1a

.....the player must mark the spot which means to:

• Place a ball-marker right behind or right next to the ball, or

• Hold a club on the ground right behind or right next to the ball.

Edited by Rulesman

On 10/22/2019 at 1:24 AM, DaveP043 said:

@ChetlovesMer its not that anyone doesn't want to help with these kinds of things, but its really a good idea for YOU to learn to research these kinds of things yourself.  There's no better way to remember something than to have looked it up for yourself.   And once you know how to find things in the Rules, you'll be able to answer these kinds of problems while you're still on the course.

Yeah, but it’s way more fun to post on this site and see if I can get an answer before my buddies have looked in up in their app/book or argue about and compare those to all the wrong answers I could get before a moderator or admin come back with the right answer 😂

I’ve always been surprised that this site is more real time than Golf WRX 😁🤪😂

• Like 2

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

I’ve always been surprised that this site is more real time than Golf WRX 😁🤪😂

It would speed things up if you’d livestream your golf rounds. You know, get call-ins about rules violations. 

• Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

A few years ago in a breezy British Open a player left a putt within 1-2 feet.  Approaching he must have seen the ball osculating as he was fumbling to get his ball marker out when he reached the ball.  Too late, the wind/gravity got it and the ball ended up many feet away.

Can't recall if he had put on rain pants or wanted to mark to avoid others' lines, but he could have put the putter down and lifted in a blink! 

On 10/23/2019 at 8:28 PM, Missouri Swede said:

It would speed things up if you’d livestream your golf rounds. You know, get call-ins about rules violations. 

Snapchat every shot! 😂

• Like 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 10/22/2019 at 1:45 PM, DaveP043 said:

The rules allow the location of the ball to be marked using a "ball marker", or by setting a club next to or behind the ball.  Interestingly, the definition of "ball marker" requires it to be something artificial, so by strict interpretation a small stone or a seashell wouldn't be acceptable.  Similarly, making a mark on the grass, or using the trail in the dew wouldn't be acceptable. As far as I can tell looking at last year's rules, this definition of "ball marker" is new.  Check Rule 20-1 here:

There's a recommendation that a coil or similar object be used, but no specific requirement other than that the position must be marked.

That is a PGA tour rule.  You can't use the toe of your putter during PGA tour events.  But with USGA events you can.  

2 hours ago, denkea said:

That is a PGA tour rule.  You can't use the toe of your putter during PGA tour events.  But with USGA events you can.  

Don't make things up. Unless you can prove it . . . it's rubbish.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

27 minutes ago, denkea said:

NOT made up.  Prove it to be false.  

Do you have a copy of the PGA policy you can share with us?  Use of the putter is specifically allowed under the rules, so it seems unlikely that it would be disallowed by the tour.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Google...

83415871_XS.jpg

For a casual, non-competitive golfer, marking your ball may be just a simple courtesy to a player who’s farther from...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

10 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Google...

83415871_XS.jpg

For a casual, non-competitive golfer, marking your ball may be just a simple courtesy to a player who’s farther from...

Not what he asked.  See below.

12 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

a copy of the PGA policy

(edited)
35 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Google...

83415871_XS.jpg

that refers to the old rules, the new rules specifically allow the use of the putter to mark the ball, so the PGA would have to specifically disallow it.  I'm not sure that the committee is authorized to do that.

Edited by DaveP043

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Have the PGA rules changed in that the players follow USGA rules? That’s in the big print of what I posted, and if that changed then that would be a pretty radical change... Oh well, this PGA branch is kind of off topic anyway 😜

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Do you have a copy of the PGA policy you can share with us?  Use of the putter is specifically allowed under the rules, so it seems unlikely that it would be disallowed by the tour.

I have a copy of the Players Handbook and Tournament Regulations for 2017-2018 and a friend had the 2019 one and we both searched for the word "mark" and no such rule was apparent prohibiting the use of the toe of the putter to mark the location of the ball for a quick adjustment, etc.

"mark" most often appeared as "marker" as in "tee marker" or "permanent marker" as well as "market" or "marketing."

The word "putter" does not appear, nor does the word "coin."

Ball's in your court to prove your claim, @denkea.

32 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

that refers to the old rules, the new rules specifically allow the use of the putter to mark the ball, so the PGA would have to specifically disallow it.  I'm not sure that the committee is authorized to do that.

The old rules specifically allowed marking the ball with the toe of the putter, too. 20-1/16 covered it well enough:

2019-10-27 10.40.11.png

That's not a recent change, either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, denkea said:

NOT made up.  Prove it to be false.  

Oh, really! Look up the PGA Tour hard card. You'll find no reference to your silly assertion.

If that's not good enough for you, go look at RoG 2019, Committee Procedures and show us the authorization for your made up Rule.

BS isn't allowed to stand in this folder.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

USGA RULES OF GOLF
Play in all PGA TOUR cosponsored, approved or coordinated tournaments shall be con- ducted in accordance with the USGA Rules of Golf, as modified by PGA TOUR. A copy of such modifications, including Local Rules and Conditions of Competition for PGA TOUR, and a Notice to Competitors (Players), which shall describe any special Local Rules and Conditions, will be made available to players prior to their starting times.

Players Handbook and Tournament Regulations that you looked at doesn't include specific rules.  You would need to have access to "Special Local Rules and Conditions of Competition".

I made the statement which I know to be true.  Believe me or not.  If you don't, prove it to be false.  

Edited by denkea

Note: This thread is 1540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!