nevets88

Watchmen (HBO Series)

19 posts / 620 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

6 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I have no idea what's going on in HBO's The Watchmen, but it is totally engrossing.

Totally forgot that was last night. Hooray for on-demand television.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I have no idea what's going on in HBO's The Watchmen, but it is totally engrossing.

I enjoyed the first episode.  It's a wait and see for future episodes.

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

The raining baby squid part was...interesting.

On 10/21/2019 at 5:30 PM, billchao said:

Totally forgot that was last night. Hooray for on-demand television.

Just watched it. I liked it. What about it did you not understand, @nevets88?

23 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

The raining baby squid part was...interesting.

Did you read the comics? As I understand it, the show is set in the world of the comics, not the movie.

41 minutes ago, billchao said:

Did you read the comics? As I understand it, the show is set in the world of the comics, not the movie.

I didn't read the comics, just saw the movie.  What role is Louis Gossett Jr playing?

I read the graphic novel a few years before the movie came out.  It's a bathroom book for me.  For what was out there for comics at the time, this was really groundbreaking.

The pilot was a little light on details, but I thought it was well done.  I'll give the season a shot, but it's in the back of my mind that this is from the same guy who came up with LOST.  So there's some skepticism there.

14 hours ago, billchao said:

Like @Warren Zevon said, what's with the squid rain. Who is Jeremy Irons? How is the guy in the wheelchair related to the kid in the opening sequence. Was Nixon a good president or did he just not get caught? What does that blue guy on Mars have to do with anything? I didn't read the book or watch the movie.

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Like @Warren Zevon said, what's with the squid rain. Who is Jeremy Irons? How is the guy in the wheelchair related to the kid in the opening sequence. Was Nixon a good president or did he just not get caught? What does that blue guy on Mars have to do with anything? I didn't read the book or watch the movie.

This might help if you have six minutes.

This sums up the comic run

Edited by Warren Zevon

4 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

I queued these up to watch later on the big tv, thanks!

I love Lost, have watched it many times as well as The Leftovers, so this show is a must watch for me.

17 hours ago, dennyjones said:

What role is Louis Gossett Jr playing?

No idea. Guess we have to wait and see.

13 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

I read the graphic novel a few years before the movie came out.  It's a bathroom book for me.  For what was out there for comics at the time, this was really groundbreaking.

It's probably my favorite comic of all time. Haven't read it in a while, though, probably going to do it again now with the show running. Every time I re-read it I catch something I missed the last time.

The pilot was a little light on details, but I thought it was well done.

There were subtle details and clues explaining the setting. I didn't catch everything and some stuff I felt might have been shown for a reason (like the picture in the chief's closet as he was getting into his uniform) I didn't understand the significance of.

Honestly the only thing I didn't like was that weird comic book block lettering Oklahoma! quote they used as a transition in the opening scene.

I'll give the season a shot, but it's in the back of my mind that this is from the same guy who came up with LOST.  So there's some skepticism there.

The network kind of ruined that show by making it run longer than the showrunners intended, didn't they? My memory on it is a little hazy, but I remember that being a factor, and I believe they were writing the show as they went along that made it the convoluted mess it ended up being.

4 hours ago, nevets88 said:

what's with the squid rain.

My guess is that it's a byproduct of the event created by Ozymandias. Maybe they'll explain it more during the season.

Who is Jeremy Irons?

He's a British actor known for being the voice of Scar in The Lion King (1994) :-P

I've been trying to avoid reading spoilers about the show, but my best guess is he is playing Adrian Veidt (Ozymandias). There was a newspaper headline in one of the scenes that said "Veidt Confirmed Dead" or something to that effect, so I have no idea how it all goes together.

How is the guy in the wheelchair related to the kid in the opening sequence.

Seems to me like he's the same character.

Was Nixon a good president or did he just not get caught?

He didn't get caught. The US won the Vietnam War in the Watchmen world and it won Nixon a lot of popularity. He was still president during the events of the comic in 1985.

What does that blue guy on Mars have to do with anything?

That's Dr. Manhattan. He's a central character in the Watchmen. Not sure what his role will be in the series, if any.

I didn't read the book or watch the movie.

That explains a lot.

To me, @billchao, the first two seasons of LOST were epic.  I want to say that I'm a huge fan of the show, even if by its ending it didn't do a great job explaining the things I wanted to know. 

I'm hoping we see more of the Minutemen.

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Already been answered by the time I got here, but I'm going to ring in a few more things. 

My guess is Irons is playing Ozymandias, the hero from the comic book (I won't be using the other term).  The movie portrayed the character in a negative light (it was one of a few things I didn't like about the movie, although I liked it overall). 

Nixon didn't get caught in this world, partly due to Comedian's influence.  Was he a good president?  Not clear, but the elder Nite Owl voted for him five times, but wasn't too happy about it later on.

7 hours ago, billchao said:

I've been trying to avoid reading spoilers about the show, but my best guess is he is playing Adrian Veidt (Ozymandias). There was a newspaper headline in one of the scenes that said "Veidt Confirmed Dead" or something to that effect, so I have no idea how it all goes together.

I'm also avoiding spoilers and also enjoyed the comics, and came to the same conclusion you did.  Given my track record about these things, it probably means Irons is not playing Veidt. 

I said I wasn't going to get hooked on a still-airing TV show, but I had to watch this and wow, I'm hooked.  I guess I know what I'm doing Sunday nights for a while. 

Wow, that last episode, the 3rd one, was really good. That's the actress from Designing Woman being a total badass. And the Reznor/Ross soundtrack.

On 10/23/2019 at 5:34 PM, billchao said:

Honestly the only thing I didn't like was that weird comic book block lettering Oklahoma! quote they used as a transition in the opening scene.

I get it now, it's the title of each episode. Still think it's stupid.

6 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I've watched each episode and it has my interest but I'm waiting to be excited about the series.  

I have mixed feelings about it. For example, Angela Abar is portrayed as a heroine so far, but her character's belief that everything is black and white is the philosophy that Alan Moore criticized in the original Watchmen. I'm waiting to see if something changes but so far the series is set in the Watchmen universe but otherwise is nothing like the source material.

Laurie Blake though, she's an interesting character. She's turned into her father.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:46 AM, billchao said:

I get it now, it's the title of each episode. Still think it's stupid.

I have mixed feelings about it. For example, Angela Abar is portrayed as a heroine so far, but her character's belief that everything is black and white is the philosophy that Alan Moore criticized in the original Watchmen. I'm waiting to see if something changes but so far the series is set in the Watchmen universe but otherwise is nothing like the source material.

Laurie Blake though, she's an interesting character. She's turned into her father.

Would you recommend reading the book, Bill?