IGNORED

Kostis, McCord, and Macatee Out at CBS, Nobilo, Love III, Wie, Immelman In

iacas
Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting GD article about this:

gary-mccord-2012-champions-tour.jpg

Gary McCord says that he was surprised by CBS' decision not to renew his contract and disappointed with the way the network handled his situation after a 30-plus-year career

One thing that stood out to me:

McCord told Golf Digest by phone from his home in Scottsdale. “I’ve been called a lot of things, but one thing I’ve never been called is stale.”

Really? I don't mind McCord that much, but his shtick has been stale since at least 2000. I think we have about a half-dozen people calling him stale in this damn thread. 

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Really? I don't mind McCord that much, but his shtick has been stale since at least 2000. I think we have about a half-dozen people calling him stale in this damn thread. 

He's stale as stale can be.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just one opinion, but I think golf TV coverage (and sports coverage in general) sucks. Not that it stops me from watching.

I'd love to be able to mute all network commentary and listen to the ambient sounds of the game being played and the player/player and player/caddie interactions. But for some reason the networks feel like the empty spaces need to be filled in with cliches, stories, and chit-chat from their personalities.

PS - more shot tracer please, less white ball tracking against a blue sky.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I'd rather listen to the NLU guys, instead of McCord and Kostis, any day.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Bleh. Don't really care. Never really listed to the broadcast, anyway. I watch golf on tv with the mute on most of the time. 

But the last couple of year some friends and I have had a weekend drinking game whenever Jim Nantz mentions Jack nicklaus or utters the words magical, timeless, tranquility on the telecast. Which he does quite often...🤮

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Not only is McCord’s material like an annoying tipsy uncle at a July 4th BBQ, his delivery is atrocious to listen to. Uuuummm—ohhhyeeeeohhhlllllllllll...just awful. He’d make a good opening act for an insurance seminar. 

Edited by Vinsk
Double posted
  • Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I'd rather listen to the NLU guys, instead of McCord and Kostis, any day.

100%.

On the good NLU podcasts there's more insight and information in 40 minutes than 20 years of McCord's stale routine.

1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

100%.

On the good NLU podcasts there's more insight and information in 40 minutes than 20 years of McCord's stale routine.

Someone really, really doesn't like Gary McCord.  Can you say why?  I'm just curious.  Without using the word, "stale".  Ya gotta admit, he can be clever and funny at times.  And at other times... cringe-worthy.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Someone really, really doesn't like Gary McCord.  Can you say why?  I'm just curious.  Without using the word, "stale".  Ya gotta admit, he can be clever and funny at times.  And at other times... cringe-worthy.

I haven’t found him funny for over a decade. I despise almost every bit of his schtick.

I know you weren’t asking me… but… Ugh. He’s just so… sophomoric.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

58 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

What @iacas said plus ...he sounds awful to me. Those weird groan/slurs whatever are hideous. He’s just not funny. He and Peter Jacobsen are strikingly un-funny. Hell you said it best..cringe-worthy.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 10/26/2019 at 1:10 PM, iacas said:
110125195.jpg?w=640

Gary McCord and Peter Kostis, two stalwarts of the CBS golf broadcast team, will not return in 2020. Both faced expiring contracts that will not be renewed. A CBS spokesman confirmed the news to Go…

Thoughts?

gonna miss em for sure.  their voices are what I grew up with listening to, and especially mccord, and feherty made golf seem like a lot of fun to me with their quirky sense of humors.  sucks to see guys get fired too, when they are generally well liked by the viewers. or at least I figured they were.  how could you fire a guy with a mustache like gary's?

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I don't think he's insightful at all (he's not alone in this, to be fair). He tries to get by with his quirk and by being funny, but it comes across as forced. When the broadcast goes to him, it becomes the Gary McCord show instead of the golf show. He never knows when to tone it down, either.

Feherty, in contrast, has humor when it's called for, but he also knows to dial it back when necessary. He also has actual wit and doesn't have to resort to funny sounds like McCord will. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

His entire focus is on his delivery. It's almost like MrBean where the point is that it doesn't matter what language you speak. If you just hear the tone it's supposed to be funny. The forced laughing and mock excitement bear no relation to the content or what he is actually describing. The funny McCord stories all date back 20 years. If you listen to, for instance, the NLU guys, there is ample evidence that we are in a different age where entertainment and information can coexist. McCord no longer seems to want to inform. He just wants to be loud and "funny".

Ball goes in bunker...McCord says something like:

Volume up to 11...."You don't want to go in there. I mean, you REEEAAALLY don't want to go in there!!!!!"  while pretending to laugh at the same time.

3 minutes later the player has hit his bunker shot and made the putt.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

12 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Not only is McCord’s material like an annoying tipsy uncle at a July 4th BBQ, his delivery is atrocious to listen to. Uuuummm—ohhhyeeeeohhhlllllllllll...just awful. He’d make a good opening act for an insurance seminar. 

McCord reminds me of a so-so comedian who has lost his stuff. He's just not funny anymore and was only funny once or twice 30 years ago. At least Feherty comes up with a gem every other broadcast.

Kostis reminds me of one of those golf teachers that taught someone years and years ago that became a decent player and is now resting on his laurels. After all I have learned on this site, it is so easy to see that he really doesn't know what he is talking about or is just using cliches and going through the motions on his so called 'analysis'. He does more damage than good.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

For those wanting to hear the ambient sounds of the course / arena / stadium and not the announcers during a broadcast, just mute your centre channel if you have a surround sound setup.

And to get more golf coverage with less commercials, try the C-band or Ku band uplink on satellite.

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

McCord reminds me of a so-so comedian who has lost his stuff. He's just not funny anymore and was only funny once or twice 30 years ago. At least Feherty comes up with a gem every other broadcast.

Kostis reminds me of one of those golf teachers that taught someone years and years ago that became a decent player and is now resting on his laurels. After all I have learned on this site, it is so easy to see that he really doesn't know what he is talking about or is just using cliches and going through the motions on his so called 'analysis'. He does more damage than good.

IIRC, it was McCord who worked a bit with Mac. There's a video or two of that out there, so McCord, I'm guessing knows a bit about the swing too for all I know maybe Kostis worked with Mac as well.

I actually think McCord has a better swing than Kostis and may actually be better with swing analysis if asked, judging from how he was talking about the swing in those Mac videos. Just speculating though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Slightly off topic, but I do quite like Nantz and Torico. Those two are amongst the top in my book. However, they fill the same role. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, downbylaw11 said:

gonna miss em for sure.  their voices are what I grew up with listening to, and especially mccord, and feherty made golf seem like a lot of fun to me with their quirky sense of humors.  sucks to see guys get fired too, when they are generally well liked by the viewers. or at least I figured they were.  how could you fire a guy with a mustache like gary's?

I think that's the whole point… When you are a grown man and you have a "thing" like McCord's mustache, or let's say a man with a really out there unique beard, or somebody who wears an English driving chapeau everywhere he goes, or the dude that wears a bandanna… Do you get the point? A guy that has a thing like that is stale, lame, every single time. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!