IGNORED

Kostis, McCord, and Macatee Out at CBS, Nobilo, Love III, Wie, Immelman In

iacas
Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Michelle Wie?  Between all the "um" and giggles she is not a very good speaker.  I hope they can fix that before they put her on the air.

Her playing career will end early just like Dottie Pepper's did, not because she can't play, but because the injuries won't allow her to practice enough to stay at the level needed to compete.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RemyM said:

Michelle Wie?  Between all the "um" and giggles she is not a very good speaker.  I hope they can fix that before they put her on the air.

She was on the air for the Solheim Cup and did well. Not great, but much better then you’re thinking.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I will watch the same amount of golf if they put a trained monkey in the booth or even if they went with no announcers. So, for me, it really doesn't matter. 

Having said that, I know that golf faces a viewership issue. The days where fringe fans turned on their TV's on Sunday to see Tiger wearing red are probably mostly behind us. So, by that accord, adding some freshness to the broadcast is probably a good thing. 

I'm happy to see golf trying to shake things up a bit. Bring in the fresh faces (and voices). I also like the way they moved the PGA Championship, trying to maintain attention spans and carve out a golf season. Also, trying to speed up play a bit. I don't know if any of it will work. But I give 'em credit for trying. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I like Frank Nobilo.   I believe he will do well.   It's nice to see Dottie stay with the network, she's good.   Hopefully Michelle will do well.   She still has that youthful exuberance that may play well on TV.   

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, iacas said:

She was on the air for the Solheim Cup and did well. Not great, but much better then you’re thinking.

I know, I saw her.  She was better then she was in interviews, but they were still there.

Rob Tyska

I'm a fan of all of these moves. I don't think it will impact the broadcast that much, because you still have the suits at CBS running it. But, I think these changes will help make the broadcast more tolerable.

I'm actually really interested to see how Michelle Wie does. I'm really intrigued by her going into broadcasting. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 12/5/2019 at 1:30 AM, DeadMan said:

I'm actually really interested to see how Michelle Wie does. I'm really intrigued by her going into broadcasting. 

Like, well, like, you know, like, she's like not that articulate, so, like I don't know, but yeah, you know, I think she'll like be pretty atrocious.

5 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Like, well, like, you know, like, she's like not that articulate, so, like I don't know, but yeah, you know, I think she'll like be pretty atrocious.

fer sure?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Aw, come on. Give her a chance. 

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

fer sure?

I've heard the "ums" and "likes" too. I'm figuring she can be coached up on that. I will say she brings some unique and youthful perspective that the other folks don't have. My hope is they can coach her out of her audible pauses. I've heard a few interviews with her in which she has brought intelligent and interesting insight to topics. So I'm going to with hold judgement until she gets some time under her belt. 

Just now, ChetlovesMer said:

Aw, come on. Give her a chance. 

I've heard the "ums" and "likes" too. I'm figuring she can be coached up on that. I will say she brings some unique and youthful perspective that the other folks don't have. My hope is they can coach her out of her audible pauses. I've heard a few interviews with her in which she has brought intelligent and interesting insight to topics. So I'm going to with hold judgement until she gets some time under her belt. 

I was just joking.:-P

I would think they would want a really good, recently retired player instead of a younger one. Dottie Pepper is excellent IMO. Someone with that credibility and experience would be better than Wei starting out (and I like Wei). Juli Inkster comes to mind and she already has announcing experience. Plus she has a built in nickname, "the Inkster".

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

She is a Stanford graduate people. She’ll be okay. She was much better at the Solheim Cup.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

She is a Stanford graduate people. She’ll be okay. She was much better at the Solheim Cup.

I'm sure she will be fine. I'm just sad that her playing days may be over. It is rather coincidental that Wei and her fellow classmate and friend Andrew Luck both seem to have retired from their sports in the same year.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I was just joking.:-P

I would think they would want a really good, recently retired player instead of a younger one. Dottie Pepper is excellent IMO. Someone with that credibility and experience would be better than Wei starting out (and I like Wei). Juli Inkster comes to mind and she already has announcing experience. Plus she has a built in nickname, "the Inkster".

Methinks, and this is just a guess. Golf is aware of it's aging viewership. I think they are trying to get younger. Golf probably realizes that the older fans are going to tune in no matter what. I know I will. So, they are trying to attract a younger audience. It also probably doesn't hurt that Michelle is more photogenic. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of the Inkster, But when you are trying to build your brand.....

Think of it this way there's a reason why way back in the early 80's The Wheel of Fortune picked Vanna White and not Rosanne Barr to be the co-host. … Just sayin'

2 hours ago, iacas said:

She is a Stanford graduate people.

That means absolutely nothing. You know this.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

That means absolutely nothing. You know this.

It means she’s smart. Which is not nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

It means she’s smart. Which is not nothing.

No it doesn’t. Many, many athletes graduate from Universities ( and more prestigious than Stanford) that are hardly in any sense of the word ‘ smart.’ And many very intelligent people have no formal education. I’m being petty of course but come on...you know her being a Stanford graduate doesn’t mean she’s smart. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

No it doesn’t. Many, many athletes graduate from Universities ( and more prestigious than Stanford) that are hardly in any sense of the word ‘ smart.’ And many very intelligent people have no formal education. I’m being petty of course but come on...you know her being a Stanford graduate doesn’t mean she’s smart. 

She didn't play golf for Stanford. She wasn't admitted because she was their future starting QB or could help their women's golf program; she had already turned pro years before.

And, she's smart. Talk with her some time instead of just hating.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I feel like someone who went to Stanford part time, while playing professional golf full time, and got a degree, is pretty damn smart. Or at least she has pretty damn good work ethic. Which means she'll probably be fine.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!