IGNORED

Women’s Driving Distance

FlyingAce
Note: This thread is 1636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Which begs the question, why is your HI 31?!

Someone earlier mentioned more accomplished women's golfers, such as college players. For the past 4 years I've gone out to watch the Youngstown State University Fall open challenge against about 7 or 8 other teams! There are women playing in that tournament who can really bomb it! 

i also go out to watch the AJGA (American Junior Golf Association) tourney that's held there as well. I've seen 14 year old girls who can smash it out there a mile! Let's face it. It's the vast majority of low end players who bring the average down! 

I have answered that question before in this post. And it’s got to do with me scoring a bogey on a hole where I was. This far from the green with my first shot (see attached image)

And regarding girls - we have probably the #1 15 year old in the world. She is #12 on the WAGR at the moment. And there is no way she outdrives me. I might need to hit my 3 hybrid to get past her driver, but I’m not even sure of that. 

9C6BCB7C-D436-4075-A829-68E76D0AAC0C.jpeg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

But are you really that impressed with the average drive, or irons for that matter on the LPGA? I’m not. I certainly respect how good of golfers they are...but distance is the last thing that intrigues me when I watch an LPGA tournament.

@Vinsk Of course I understand what you are getting at. If you love seeing long drives smashed from here to Cleveland, the LPGA doesn't provide that.

However, I will tell you I have been very impressed on a number of occasions by the LPGA members driving distance. We attended the 2008 US Women's Open in Edina, MN. Most of the time I followed Lorena Ochoa. She was hitting 250 yard drives on every hole. Okay, sure, 250 yards is nothing compared to the modern male golfer. But Lorena is only like 5'5" tall and can't weigh 110 pounds. 

Yeah, Dustin Johnson hits it 330, but he's a 210 pound grown ass man. 

Women are different from men. I'm impressed by how far the women LPGA and LD players hit it when considering their size and strength. 

Let me put it another way. I play a tournament with a gentleman in his lower-70's. He plays off a 3 HCP. He can still hit 250 yard drives and carries a 4 iron about 200. I'm impressed by his distance as well. It's all relative. 

Can my 3 HCP 70-something outdrive a tour pro? Hell no. Can Lorena Ochoa outdrive Dustin Johnson? Double Hell NO! But I am very impressed by both of them. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 hours ago, Killa said:

I have answered that question before in this post. And it’s got to do with me scoring a bogey on a hole where I was. This far from the green with my first shot (see attached image)

And regarding girls - we have probably the #1 15 year old in the world. She is #12 on the WAGR at the moment. And there is no way she outdrives me. I might need to hit my 3 hybrid to get past her driver, but I’m not even sure of that. 

9C6BCB7C-D436-4075-A829-68E76D0AAC0C.jpeg

Sir, I am stuck behind a desk.  I must insist that you stop posting images like this.  It hurts too much.

Come on guys...these are women....of course they aren't going to bomb 330 yard drives....stop comparing them to the guys.

BUT

If anyone goes out to see a LPGA event in person....you'd be amazed at how far pros like Ann Van Dam, Angel Yin, Lexi, etc can hit their ball.

It's also nice to see how far the smaller pros can also hit their shots too.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

If anyone goes out to see a LPGA event in person....you'd be amazed at how far pros like Ann Van Dam, Angel Yin, Lexi, etc can hit their ball.

I don't know about that. I was actually surprised in the other direction when I first attended an event at how short they hit it. There are a few that undoubtedly would surprise some, but… yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, I was surprised as well, I accidentally stumbled on the Solheim Cup whilst channel surfing and saw a lady hitting hybrid on a 160 yd par 3

Colin P.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't know about that. I was actually surprised in the other direction when I first attended an event at how short they hit it. There are a few that undoubtedly would surprise some, but… yeah.

Which pros were you surprised at their short distances?...how far were their drives and were they the long hitting LPGA pros?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Which pros were you surprised at their short distances?...how far were their drives and were they the long hitting LPGA pros?

All of them. One hole at the time was clearly the driving distance hole because the numbers were written out on the side and almost nobody hit it past 250. With roll.

They swing slowly. It’s not exciting.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In the league I play in, (it is for older retired guys and gals), we play a best ball scramble. We mix the players up each week so I do get to play with some women golfers who have been playing a while. I would say they hit 160 to 190 with a roll. However, they tend to hit it straighter then us guys who swing for the hills. One of our rules is that you need to use two drives per round for each person in your foursome, we've never had a problem getting two drives in from the ladies. They have saved our bacon on many a hole.

The only problem with playing with the ladies is that you really need to watch your language and of course no urinating against a tree, (LOL).

4 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

Come on guys...these are women....of course they aren't going to bomb 330 yard drives....stop comparing them to the guys.

BUT

It's also nice to see how far the smaller pros can also hit their shots too.

I have been to the Kingsmill championship twice here in Williamsburg. 

Their strength seemed to be in a metronomic rhythm and the fact they hardly hit anything offline. Amazing. But ball speed was mostly ordinary. Bit underwhelming, but not exactly a problem for the courses they play.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Never seen LPGA irl, but I've played with many NCAA women's golfers and elite high school players. I personally found it very exciting to see them hit, regardless if it was 200 yards or 250. Thats probably because I'm just excited to see their swing form. But I understand how some golfers who are far better than me are only impressed with drivers who crush it and find their drivers dull.

I saw a video of Annika Sorenstam at some fitness event. She squatted 5 reps of 250lbs like it was nothing. I wouldn't be suprised if her 1rm is well over 300lbs. I weigh more than her and squat FAR less than her. At my level I honestly feel her (and other LPGA) swing is better for me to watch (if I'm only talking about driving distance) for me than DJ or Rory, even though I can hit it as long as her (on rare occasion??!!).

Note: This thread is 1636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!