dagolfer18

36 In A Day

31 posts / 1521 viewsLast Reply

What’s up guys? I’m planning a 36-holer on this Friday. Already got my morning tee time: 9:00. I’ll eat lunch, then go back out at around 2:00 for my second 18. How many of y’all have done this or more? I’ve heard people have done 54, 72 or even more in a day.

My club has 3 9-hole courses and when the weather is nice, pace is good, and I am playing well, I usually play 27 holes straight. The most I have played in a day  is 45 holes.

Have a great time!

Edited by FlyingAce

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was a two month period, shortly after the 2008 Masters, where every Monday I'd play 18 in the morning, have lunch, and play another 18.  One of those rounds was my first ever sub-90. 

I play 36 holes a few times every year. Personal best, keeping score, has been 54 in a day. 

Some of the 36s usually include two different courses.

8 hours (+/-) of golf in one day will test one's stamina. 

Use to play in a charity tourney where the score was how many holes,  a twosome team could complete in 12 hours. 

Occassionaly I will play 18 holes, 4 days in a row. Each day I would compare my net score with what ever pga tourney was being played. Sometimes I'd even make the cut. 

A couple of times in Myrtle Beach and at World Woods when they would have a two-fer special. 

Almost never for me. 

I play public courses so rounds normally go 4-hours-plus. 

There was one particular day that I played at my home courses early. Walked it, but wasn't really happy with the result. With absolutely nothing else going on, I played the course close to the house that afternoon, but rode the cart. That went a lot better and I had a big dinner afterward.

It sounds like a good idea once in awhile, but there hardly ever seems to be the time for more than 18.

36 in one day isn't much of a problem for someone in reasonable shape. If you're riding, you probably will barely notice. Walking makes it a little tougher, but it's still not that bad. I do 36 holes in a day maybe once a year or so, and I never have a problem. Depends on the conditions, obviously. 90 degrees and humid will take it out of you a lot more than 70 degrees. 

Most I've done in a day was 45 holes, all walking. I was dead on my feet after that, but it was also pretty hot (over 90 degrees), and I was coming down with a cold. 

When we used to go to Myrtle Beach for a week in the winter, it was always 36 holes a day for 4 or 5 days. Our Member/Guest Tournament at our club is 27 holes a day for 3 days. Otherwise, I think my 36 holes a day are behind me.

36 hole days were really common in my younger days when on buys-trips to Myrtle Beach.  They're much less common as I get older, but we did do a couple of 36-hole days at the Newport Cups.  Those were a little less strenuous, as one of the rounds was alternate shot format.  Most recently, I did a second 18 hole round twice on my last trip to Scotland in June 2018.  

The course, walking distances, riding or walking, carrying or pushing. All factors that heavily contribute to how 36+ in one day feels. If you are riding, it's no problem at all. Pushing makes you significantly more fatigued and carrying can take a toll on the back on the last 18.

Make sure you get enough food and water, and wear good shoes. I once made the mistake of buying new shoes and using them the next day. After 18 holes my ancles were a mess and I had to switch shoes and use some redneck inserts to avoid the shoes rubbing on the sore spots.

Edited by Zeph

I usually do 36 in a day maybe 5-10 times a year.  I walk and take a push cart.

Edited by Yukari

Have done 54 in a day.  Started in the morning and decided a second round made sense.  Had lunch mid way through the second round and then decided a third round made sense.  Finished late but thanks to course lighting was manageable.

Good fun doing rounds like that but slowly it is getting more physically demanding and I probably wouldn't go over 36 in a day now

yeah...36 a day is not my norm but I'll do it a few times a year. It reminds me of years ago taking my playing ability test....I never really enjoyed that too much. Fortunately the second time I attempted it, the other guys in my group and the group in front of us decided to have a little money game and that seem to motivate me to shoot some good scores.oh yeah dat ass GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

The course, walking distances, riding or walking, carrying or pushing. All factors that heavily contribute to how 36+ in one day feels. If you are riding, it's no problem at all. Pushing makes you significantly more fatigued and carrying can take a toll on the back on the last 18.

Make sure you get enough food and water, and wear good shoes. I once made the mistake of buying new shoes and using them the next day. After 18 holes my ancles were a mess and I had to switch shoes and use some redneck inserts to avoid the shoes rubbing on the sore spots.

I’ve got a full foursome for round one, but one of my buddies is bringing a spectator. Might just put my clubs on his cart so I can walk without the heavy burden of carrying my bag all 36. Will probably push/carry for the second 18 though. I did this back in January, push cart for both rounds. My entire body ached when I was done, but I slept really well that night and felt awesome the next morning.

Edited by dagolfer18

Wow back in the day when I was learning the game I would play 36 holes 3-4 times a week. Sometimes on days when we weren't busy we would get in 54. I remember one time I played 54 on 3 different courses.

I was a golf fanatic, and a broke one at that. No wife, kids, or money, and we ate for super cheap at the course so I often ate 2-3 meals a day there as well. We would be the first group out in the morning, get done, eat breakfast, then head out again around 10. We would have 36 in by 2:00 and it I didn't have to work that night we would head out for another round around 4-5. 

It sounds exhausting to me now, but it's how I improved and got to be the player I am today. 

Fortunately the last 4 years I won the club Championship in less than 36 holes.