IGNORED

Dean Snell on Optimal Ball Performance as It Gets Colder

Yeah I always keep my golf balls in a warmer when it drops below 50. Gets me an extra 2-3yds. I also clean it after every hole to get any grass stains off to improve the flight pattern which keeps that baby draw right at 5-10’ rather than 4.2-9.3’. I also realize the cooler grass on the greens can affect my roll so I bring my ball to the same temp as the green as to not misjudge the expected revolutions. 😛

• Upvote 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Years ago they used to sell a golf ball warmer.  Wondering if those are still around.  I just keep an extra in my pocket.  The pocket with a secret hole in it...

And… those would be illegal.

• Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Piz said:

Just curious @Vinsk do you use one of those instant read thermometers or rely on instinct?  

I keep an instant read one in my bag. I’ve noticed Snell balls keep their temp about .00001 degrees more stable than even premium golf balls. I think it helps that ‘Snell’ is a shorter stamp than ‘Titleist ProV1.’ Less friction. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah I always keep my golf balls in a warmer when it drops below 50. Gets me an extra 2-3yds. I also clean it after every hole to get any grass stains off to improve the flight pattern which keeps that baby draw right at 5-10’ rather than 4.2-9.3’. I also realize the cooler grass on the greens can affect my roll so I bring my ball to the same temp as the green as to not misjudge the expected revolutions. 😛

Are those shanks longer too?  :-D

• Thanks 1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I would have thought Snell would know that.

I think it used to be 14-3/13.5, but I'm not sure where it is now in the Interpretations. Maybe it's gone.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think it used to be 14-3/13.5, but I'm not sure where it is now in the Interpretations. Maybe it's gone.

It’s in the Equipment Rules (not in the iOS app).

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/Equipment Rules Final.pdf

CB26F360-2138-44BA-9D0A-F9E3C3CDABD1.thumb.jpeg.13d703115563b186630c4c29027c8107.jpeg

• Informative 1

I store all my  golf gear at in home room temperature during colder weather. 

When on the the course playing,  I rotate between three balls that I keep in my pocket. Every hole, or two, I play a different ball.

All that said, my cold weather golf reality is that if it is so cold to really bother the ball, I am also wearing so many layers of clothes, that my swing is more inhibited than than what ever the cold will do to the golf ball. 

Also if the weather gets really cold enough to bother my golf game, I will either stay home for a couple days till it warms up, or take a road trip south. A 6-7 hour drive south could be as much of a 50* degree increase in temperature. Them "snow birds" know what they're doing. 

12 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

It’s in the Equipment Rules (not in the iOS app).

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/Equipment Rules Final.pdf

The shaded part of the Equipment Rules is quoted from the Rules of Golf, 4.2a(2), and is included in the phone app.

• Thanks 1