IGNORED

High and Low Handicapper Privileges and Burdens

iacas
Note: This thread is 1628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

LCB:

-Other high handicap golfers don't like to play with you because they feel too much pressure and you're always watching them. (actually had someone tell me this) 

This is a great comment. As a High hcp player myself it's often unerving to play alongside a decent player because you just dont want to embarrass yourself.

It's worse if you dont know the person you are playing with. However, all it takes is for the low capper to say something like "Dont worry about a bad shot, lets just have fun".

On the plus side playing with a good golfer often rubs off on you and can actually help you to play better. Also good to see good players cock it up too (really puts you at ease :-D), hence the reason i watch Mark Crossfield!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, RussUK said:

On the plus side playing with a good golfer often rubs off on you and can actually help you to play better. 

All of my best rounds have been played with 1) low handicap players, and 2) people I don't know.

For me it feels like good players have a certain rhythm/mindset on the course that I can tap into and play better myself. Not really sure how to describe this phenomenon. I almost always play worse when playing with other high handicappers and also with my friends.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

LCP:

• Getting invited to a lot of free scrambles
  • Getting to play with some really good players on some really good courses not everyone can play.
  • Rarely getting beat (Gross)

LCB:

• Having to give a ton of strokes
  • Some people won't play with you because they don't want to feel "embarrassed"
  • Rarely winning (Net)

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 10/30/2019 at 8:20 AM, DaveP043 said:

LCB - Consistently hearing "What did I do wrong on that one" (to echo @klineka)

not that I'm all that low of a handicap, but I do have a pretty nice looking ball flight, so I get this question alot.     But, typically, my response to "what did I do wrong" is "so many, many things"  "But, if you want to hang out on the range after the round or another day, I'd be happy to show you one or two of them.."

this helps people to get the general understanding that it's not that I don't want to help you.   It's just that it's not getting fixed by the next swing.  

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I'm a mid capper, so I enjoy, and/or put up with all the responses from the 4 areas above.  😎

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

As an HC, I make sure I NEVER ask for advice from a LC (or anyone else) on the course.  If it is offered, I will listed, and figure out for myself its worth.  If the advice is swing oriented, I will think about it later.  If it is like, "you were lined up over there", I will think about it much sooner.  As an HC playing with an LC, my job is to let them play their best, which usually doesn't involve worrying about watching my swing.  I'm more likely to say, "You might not want to watch this...."

HCB: HC.

LCP: LC.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'm curious about this topic because (at least in my case) that when I play with friends or people who have been paired with me in scrambles etc. I find that I usually spend more time chatting and just kinda hitting the ball instead of trying to play. For me anyway, I have to focus in order to shoot a good score. Now it seems like I play two kinds of golf, fun golf and serious golf. I think that goes to the expectations of a low handicap and mid/high handicap. I actually don't really enjoy playing scrambles because I find myself trying to hit shots that I would not attempt if I was playing in a tournament/money game. I usually have to go the range after a scramble (before I play serious golf) and get my swing right. 

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

As a tweener, I don't experience many of the privileges or burdens.

LCP - generally accepted by most players who are picky about playing with people who are viewed as less skilled golfers.

HCB - living up to some player's expectations of how a "LC" player should play.

Brian Kuehn

HCP: 

Low expectations, people are surprised when you hit a good shot or a 300 yard drive. 
Good chance of winning nett competitions. 

HCB:

Losing balls constantly.

Feeling embarrassment when playing with good players when they have to help you look for a ball or you hit a terrible shot etc.

Getting unwanted advice from low handicap players, just because you are better doesn’t mean you necessarily know what I’m doing wrong. 

One I really hate when playing with new people who are low handicaps is because I am a high handicap but also a relatively big hitter, they regularly tell me to “hit away you are never reaching them” with a driver or maybe a 5 wood on a par 5 for my second shot and then I have to say that I could reach them and I better wait only to then proceed to hit a terrible mishit shot and they are thinking I am bullshitting them in the first place. Very frustrating.

Edited by Nail
Spelling error

On 10/31/2019 at 5:27 AM, Carl3 said:

That is about the funniest term...never heard it before.

GOLF VLOGS UK GOLFMATES on YouTube...Kind of a quirky fun golf vlog. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

LCP:  Seldom have a round much worse than my norm,

LCB:  Seldom have a round much better than my norm.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

HCB: Looking for golf balls.  Searching for wayward golf balls has become my single biggest pet peeve.  The most irksome of hiding golf balls are the ones I (and perhaps others) saw land, bounce, and come to rest on or very near the fairway.  And yet the ball is nowhere to be found.  I have absolutely given up strokes many times simply because 3 minutes is more than enough time for me to lose patience looking for the MFer.

I am far more sanguine with a ball that struck a tree loudly or went to some area out of sight.  I richly deserve the penalty, and I accept (though not happily) that I have donated that ball to some enterprising golfer who some day discovers it.

I might even say that I work to improve at this game primarily to reduce the percentage of time each round spent looking for the damned ball.

On 10/31/2019 at 5:08 PM, Patch said:

I'm a mid capper, so I enjoy, and/or put up with all the responses from the 4 areas above.  😎

On 11/1/2019 at 8:53 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

As a tweener, I don't experience many of the privileges or burdens.

As a tweener, I feel like I only experience the burdens...LOL

Colin P.

• Administrator

LB: the occasional "eagle net birdie."

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!