Sign in to follow this  
arturo28mx

Feeling the Weight of the Clubhead

6 posts / 1914 viewsLast Reply

Recently I've been paying more attention to feeling the weight of the clubhead, from the moment I start the backswing to well past impact. It has greatly improved my consistency with all clubs in the bag. It seems to me feeling the clubhead is a critical aspect of a golf swing, but many high handicappers probably have never heard of this before. My question to you all is why this is hardly ever mentioned in magazine articles or instructional videos??? Just wondering.

Edited by arturo28mx

The only time I notice a differences in club head weight is when I switch from my regular, low profile, shallow face driver to my normal profile driver. Normal being more rounded, with a taller club face.

Even then, I don't think I am feeling an actual weight differential, but more of a sensation of wind resistance, due to the taller club face.

I know all my irons feel pretty much the same.Maybe my SW might feel a little different, but I'm not sure..

All my irons test out as the same swing weight.

Edited by Patch

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, arturo28mx said:

Recently I've been paying more attention to feeling the weight of the clubhead, from the moment I start the backswing to well past impact. It has greatly improved my consistency with all clubs in the bag. It seems to me feeling the clubhead is a critical aspect of a golf swing, but many high handicappers probably have never heard of this before. My question to you all is why this is hardly ever mentioned in magazine articles or instructional videos??? Just wondering.

Could you be more specific as to ‘ greatly improved my consistency’? Pretty hard for me to ‘feel’ the club head on the downswing..at least to any degree of controlling something.

Staying in touch with the club is vital.  Learning how to do that is a life-long process.  That is what makes this game endlessly fascinating.  We all get older, smarter, and weaker.  We know what's coming but put it off as long as we can.  What other choice is there?

8 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

Recently I've been paying more attention to feeling the weight of the clubhead, from the moment I start the backswing to well past impact.

6 hours ago, Piz said:

Staying in touch with the club is vital. 

Thank you both. Over the last 3 months, after noticing tension in my forearms and wrists, I have been working on setup and a relaxed, easy back and forward swing...and I am now more sensitive to the clubhead. Not trying to control it. Just a loose practice swing with focus on the target, step in and swing it through. These are all "feels" for me so I don't get ball-bound trying to hit at the ball. Best, -Marv

4 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

Thank you both. Over the last 3 months, after noticing tension in my forearms and wrists, I have been working on setup and a relaxed, easy back and forward swing...and I am now more sensitive to the clubhead. Not trying to control it. Just a loose practice swing with focus on the target, step in and swing it through. These are all "feels" for me so I don't get ball-bound trying to hit at the ball. Best, -Marv

I think I know what you're saying. For me, when I do that, I have to be careful that I don't get so "loose" that the grip "separates" or "pries" my fingers open a bit during the swing. Need a reasonably firm grip with somewhat loose wrists. Easy to say...