albatrosser

Shaft Weights Used by Single-Digit Handicappers

shaft weights used by single-digit handicappers  

18 members have voted

1. 1. IRONS: If you are a single-digit handicapper, what iron shaft weight do you use? (regardless of material (steel/graphite) and flex)

2. 2. DRIVERS: If you are a single-digit handicapper, what driver shaft weight do you use? (regardless of flex)

• less than 50g
    • 50-59 g
    • 60-69 g
    • 70-79 g
    • more than 80g
    • don't know / N/A
  3. 3. WEDGES: If you are a single-digit handicapper, what wedge shaft weight do you use? (regardless of material (steel/graphite) and flex)

• same as my irons
    • lighter than my irons
    • heavier than my irons
    • don't know / N/A

18 posts / 1025 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

The first question leads to inaccurate information due to the fact that the vast majority of graphite shafts weigh less then steel shafts or the cost to go to a graphite shaft at near the same weight is prohibitive vs steel.

Due to cost I have Recoil 95s in my irons.  That shaft was a free upgrade for Mizuno.

In all but 1 of my wedges i have Recoil 110s, one wedge my 48 is still in steal.  But i wanted to test it out with that shaft.  I will be reshafting it to a Recoil 110 for next season. 

Regrettably dur to injuries I have to have graphite shafts in my irons.

With my Driver fitting the goal was to go as light as possible that worked for me.  This did increase swing speed and thus more distance.  The shaft was also very good for dispersion.  That is 45 grams.  I am looking a fitting to possibly change the shaft out with either the Ventus or Tour AD for possibly even tighter dispersion.  I like what I have been reading about the newer light weight graphite deiver shafts on the market.

I like your survey 😎

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the info and votes, djake.  I like your bag setup, and that you tested your wedge shaft for a full season.  I realize graphite vs irons can drive the weight, but the information itself is not inaccurate; inaccurate conclusions, however, may certainly be drawn.  I just simply want to see what weights single-digit handicappers are playing, whatever the reasons (performance, feel, cost, injuries, it's what *whoever* told me to do, etc.). 

Genuinely curious. With no information other than handicap and shaft weight, what do you hope to understand?

My iron shafts are 90g, my driver is 55g, and my wedges are 120g.  Knowing nothing more than that and my handicap, what does that tell you?

132 grams for my irons, 66 for my driver, 130 grams for my wedges. 

According to the fitter, I play pretty heavy shafts, and was surprised when they worked well for me. 

I like heavy irons but lighter woods.  Heavy irons for thumping and lighter woods so I can feel/sling the head.

38 minutes ago, albatrosser said:

David - am curious as to shaft weight selection of single-digit handicappers. 

Why?  I’m genuinely curious.  What do you hope to learn?

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

Why?  I’m genuinely curious.  What do you hope to learn?

I expect he wants to learn which shaft weights single figure handicappers use in their irons, drivers and wedges.......

2 minutes ago, Beastie said:

I expect he wants to learn which shaft weights single figure handicappers use in their irons, drivers and wedges.......

Which is why I specifically asked why...

And the answer is, as he’s finding out, the entire spectrum. Because, while many factors can affect someone’s choice in shaft weight, I can’t think of any reason why handicap alone would have any bearing whatsoever.  

I enjoy learning new things, so if I’m missing something I’d love to hear about it, but so far, I’m just not getting any response.

5 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Which is why I specifically asked why...

And the answer is, as he’s finding out, the entire spectrum. Because, while many factors can affect someone’s choice in shaft weight, I can’t think of any reason why handicap alone would have any bearing whatsoever.  

I enjoy learning new things, so if I’m missing something I’d love to hear about it, but so far, I’m just not getting any response.

I don’t know what relevant info can be gained from the above. I play the shafts that gave me the best numbers and feel at a fitting, 

38 minutes ago, albatrosser said:

David - This poll is for curiosity, for conversation, for correlation.  No causality implied or expected. 

Thanks for the responses thus far!  

Got it.  Thank you, and welcome to the site!  :beer:

3 hours ago, albatrosser said:

Very interesting spread of responses thus far!

I don’t think you’ll get a consistent grouping of answers?

3 hours ago, Beastie said:

Guessing age and body build will play a factor in many of the responses.

Deadman... you beast!  With those 130g iron shafts... are you using rebar for shafts?  Gotta be zero torque on those...

Edited by Double Mocha Man

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

I don’t think you’ll get a consistent grouping of answers?

Guessing age and body build will play a factor in many of the responses.

He should add those factors to the poll.😉