IGNORED

The Only Time I've Ever Voluntarily Quit a Round (Disturbing)

LightsOut
Note: This thread is 1599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

That’s my point...is this really necessary? We can see and appreciate the plane sitting still and allowing us to get up close, touch it. Then watch it take off. It’s pointless showboating is what it is. Shame. Stop the high risk moves for entertainment or be done with them altogether imo.

Who’s to say what’s “necessary”.  The pilots understand the risks and accept them.  We have more than enough people telling us what we should or should not be doing.  

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

From the clip...do you think he knew it was over at that moment? That’s the haunting part to me...just awful.

Yep.  No doubt.  He had a few seconds to realize what he had done...

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I’m a pilot.

No.  Although this aircraft has ejection seats, the type of stall described wouldn’t allow for their use…

You are right on both points.  However, this now being a privately owned aircraft, the ejection seat rocket motors were removed before sale to the civilian  owner.  Those motors are classified "1.1G"  which is a high-explosives designation.  That would bring all kinds of regulatory headaches from the DOT and ATF.    

Edited by LightsOut
typo
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

In the Bag:

Tour Edge Exotics Driver, 3W, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, Adams Golf 54 and 60 Wedges, Wilson SW, Ray Cook putter.

43 minutes ago, LightsOut said:

You are right on both points.  However, this now being a privately owned aircraft, the ejection seat rocket motors were removed before sale to the civilian  owner.  Those motors are classified "1.1G"  which is a high-explosives designation.  That would bring all kinds of regulatory headaches from the DOT and ATF.    

Yeah...I was thinking the same thing.😏

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 11/2/2019 at 8:23 PM, iacas said:

He couldn't eject or get out?

Only fighter jets have ejector seats, on these you have to unstrap and open a bulky door. Pilot has no chance unless 1000 foot altitude,

4 hours ago, cia2a said:

Only fighter jets have ejector seats, on these you have to unstrap and open a bulky door. Pilot has no chance unless 1000 foot altitude,

That’s not true.  

Although this particular aircraft had its ejection seats deactivated as a civilian owned, surplus Aircraft, the OV-1 was equipped with ejection seats.  Though not all that many, there are other aircraft so equipped too...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 11/4/2019 at 5:04 AM, Vinsk said:

I don’t know anything about flying but it sure seems like he could’ve ejected. No?

Or landed the plane safely on a runway? GEEEZ. It would pretty much seem that no, he couldn't have ejected. Seems self-evident.

On 11/4/2019 at 3:16 AM, David in FL said:

Tragic, sure, but ultimately it doesn’t affect me.  Certainly not enough for me to change my plans for the day.  

Amazingly, there are people who, after essentially witnessing someone being killed a few hundred yards from them suddenly lose their inclination to be involved in a recreational pursuit whilst being surrounded by smoke, sirens and the knowledge of what has happened. I don't find it that odd. 😶

3 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Or landed the plane safely on a runway? GEEEZ. It would pretty much seem that no, he couldn't have ejected. Seems self-evident.

Really necessary?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

What? Pointing out the insensitivity of suggesting that a pilot who was killed "could've ejected"? Why?

It's a legitimate question. Some pilots will stay in an airplane for too long. Or people will stay hunkered down in the corner of a burning building when they could have jumped earlier, or whatever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

What? Pointing out the insensitivity of suggesting that a pilot who was killed "could've ejected"? Why?

Nothing insensitive about my question at all. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 11/8/2019 at 2:26 PM, Papa Steve 55 said:

I walked off 9/11, got some pushback from others in the 4some.

On 11/8/2019 at 4:15 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I cancelled a TV commercial shoot that morning.  Client wasn't happy, but my heart wasn't in it.

I almost called off work. I went out late and basically did nothing but hug people all day! I was in sales, and nobody was in a mood to buy! 

Note: This thread is 1599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!