IGNORED

Which TaylorMade M-Series Driver?

Note: This thread is 1585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 11/11/2019 at 1:11 AM, Lihu said:

I don’t think either of these attributes are good for me. 😂 The fitter of my new driver cranked my loft down to 8.5 degrees because I launch too high. I wanted a shiny new Ping or TM M6 but he told me the M6 launched too high and M5 was giving me 1600rpm side spin with 4800 back. Of course, there was masking tape over the face...Some shots looked like a slightly longer 6i shot with Ping whatever I used...

Ended up with an TA Atomic PX5.5 8.5 degrees. Still hit too spinny and high on more than half my shots 22degree launch and over 4000 to 5500rpm, but my good ones look really good when watching the ball flight on the range and course. Mevo results, not so great, but working on it.

Thanks for this thread OP, I was going to go to Roger Dunn’s for a proper TM M6 fitting, but not so sure it would help me?

Sounds like u need to see a PGA pro and fix whatever is giving you the high launch and crazy spin.  I don’t think a club is going to be able to overcome what you are describing.

After a lesson or 2 you may find the TA Atomic works just fine and you’ll have saved money and helped your game!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've tested both the M5 and M6 up against my current TM Tour Burner in the simulator. There wasn't a bit of difference, either distance or dispersion, between the M5 and M6 so if I were buying, which I'm not, I'd go with the M6 because there are fewer adjustments and it's $50 cheaper. Also, I just don't like a driver where one can change too many settings because I'd be tempted to fiddle with it. However, since both the M5 and M6 were only 5 yards longer, on the average, compared with my current driver, I decided that it's not worth it to pay $500 for 5 yards.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

On 11/12/2019 at 9:31 AM, Typhoon92 said:

Sounds like u need to see a PGA pro and fix whatever is giving you the high launch and crazy spin.  I don’t think a club is going to be able to overcome what you are describing.

After a lesson or 2 you may find the TA Atomic works just fine and you’ll have saved money and helped your game!

What types of things could be causing this crazy high spin and launch?

Driver with 5i spin? 😂

To be honest the club feels pretty good.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Driver with 5i spin? 😂

Could be any number of things.  Have you tried posting a video in the member swings / instruction section of the forum?  I did at the end of last year and a couple of the guys were a great help.

Without seeing a video it’s impossible to know.

8 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Could be any number of things.  Have you tried posting a video in the member swings / instruction section of the forum?  I did at the end of last year and a couple of the guys were a great help.

Without seeing a video it’s impossible to know.

I’ll go with the PGA pro advice! Last couple times I posted my swing I just got criticism without the advice 😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

11 hours ago, Lihu said:

Driver with 5i spin? 😂

First of all, backspin is very personal to a) the amount of ball speed you can produce and b) the launch angle you hit.  In other words, if you're a slower swinger, you may need more backspin to keep the ball airborne.  However, if you're a faster player, then that much spin is certainly too much.

Check strike first. 

Then check face to path--you said you had 1600 rpm of side spin; that's a lot on a driver.  LOT of curve.  If that is fade spin, that may be causing the higher launch and higher spin.  You don't want more than 1k of side spin with a wooded club.

Also check angle of attack and dynamic loft.  If you're hitting down too much and presenting quite a bit of loft at impact, that will increase spin loft.  That increases backspin.  

In none of the aforementioned metrics is a driver going to fix you.  This is about delivery of the club through the ball.  It would be different if we were talking about reducing your spin by 500, even 1k of backspin; then, we could look at equipment.  But, me thinks this is all about you and your delivery through the ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an M3 and an M4 and both are good drivers.  From what I've read (and tend to agree with) is that the even numbers are slightly more forgiving than the odd number models.  This is because they can design the entire weighting of the head without worrying about the weight of the sliders.  There is the benefit of the adjustments of the sliders however.  My take is if you are a better golfer go with the odd numbers so you can design in flight patterns (assuming you hit the middle) but if you are a higher handicapper go with the even as you need forgiveness more than workability.  

Edited by cristphoto

• Administrator
On 11/14/2019 at 7:39 AM, Lihu said:

I’ll go with the PGA pro advice! Last couple times I posted my swing I just got criticism without the advice 😂

That’s not true.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between the Ping and Taylormade drivers are that the Pings are all-titanium and the hit sounds like a higher-pitched metallic cowbell ring, while the Taylormades are mostly carbon fiber and have a lower-pitched more muted thud.  The other difference is that the Taylormades have a much larger head that some like and others may feel too bulky.  

It used to be that every year there were some outstanding drivers that were far ahead of the pack but the performance gap between the different brands has narrowed so much that it is now just about fitting and feel which one is best for you.

The odd-number Taylormades have a bit lower spin, adjustable sliders and the even-numbers have a bit more forgiveness and are cheaper.   The M2 is a classic but the later models are good too.

Edited by GOATee

On 11/13/2019 at 8:15 PM, Lihu said:

Driver with 5i spin? 😂

Do you have very fast club head speed? I had similar issues as you and found out that I can't buy anything off the shelf and it work properly. Had to go look into long drive equipment basically to get my numbers better. Club head speed will produce ridiculous spin numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Casualgolfer said:

Club head speed will produce ridiculous spin numbers. 

Yes, but that's exaggerated a bit.  There are plenty of fast player who play the "standard" version of drivers instead of the "tour/low-spin" option.  Delivery of the club is the key here.  You're likely doing something to increase your spin loft via your delivery, e.g., perhaps you do swing quickly but you also add too much loft and/or hit down too much.  That leads to higher spin loft, which in turn results in higher backspin.

That is also without even considering strike location and face to path.

Note: This thread is 1585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!