IGNORED

Back Injury, Out for Awhile…

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 1591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well Friday night I guess I thought I was 13 again. Messing around with my 13 year old and his new BMX bike ( Cult Gateway), in my overzealous, invincible and inner youth I decided to show him how to do a proper manual with a 360* bar spin.

Did I factor in the fact that not only am I exponentially stronger than that inner 13 year old...I’m significantly heavier as well? Of course not!  Off I went, sailing from the bike and landing flat...on...my...back. I heard a disastrous crunch as I knocked the wind clear outta me. You can imagine as a doctor all the damage I internally began to process.

Luckily no neurological symptoms, no radiculopathy apparently. I was able to drive us home. I’ve since gone to my clinic to check for rib/vertebrae fractures. Rib fractures can be difficult to see but the radiologist and I agreed none were obvious.

Unfortunately the spasms I’m getting are almost unbearable. I’m taking a strong NSAID and a muscle relaxant to no avail. May have to get a CT/MRI if no improvement. I’m certain I tore somerhing. Probably a posterior intercostal tissue.

Anyway, damn shame. So no golf for awhile. Just brutal.😖

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well Friday night I guess I thought I was 13 again. Messing around with my 13 year old and his new BMX bike ( Cult Gateway), in my overzealous, invincible and inner youth I decided to show him how to do a proper manual with a 360* bar spin.

Did I factor in the fact that not only am I exponentially stronger than that inner 13 year old...I’m significantly heavier as well? Of course not!  Off I went, sailing from the bike and landing flat...on...my...back. I heard a disastrous crunch as I knocked the wind clear outta me. You can imagine as a doctor all the damage I internally began to process.

Luckily no neurological symptoms, no radiculopathy apparently. I was able to drive us home. I’ve since gone to my clinic to check for rib/vertebrae fractures. Rib fractures can be difficult to see but the radiologist and I agreed none were obvious.

Unfortunately the spasms I’m getting are almost unbearable. I’m taking a strong NSAID and a muscle relaxant to no avail. May have to get a CT/MRI if no improvement. I’m certain I tore somerhing. Probably a posterior intercostal tissue.

Get better soon my friend. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Misery loves company. Here I am. I haven't played golf since April nursing two partially torn tendons in my right elbow.  Nevertheless, I feel for you.

Thanks Scott. Yeah...talk about wanting to go back in time..such a dumb accident. I only have mild pain when relaxing. It’s the anticipation of a cough, hiccup, or even just a yawn that’s quite unsettling. Simple things like that trigger a horrible spasm. I think if I sneezed I would literally have to hold on to something.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Dang man that sucks. Sorry to hear hopefully the recover is as fast as it can be, and no long term lingering issues arise from it. 

48 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Get well soon, man.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Went through a back injury in July. Take your time to heal. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Be well, and recover as needed. They say doctors make the worst patients. Prove them wrong.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Sorry to hear that @Vinsk.  I've had back spasms (thankfully not for a while) and they are no fun.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Dang man.  Get better soon bro!

• iacas changed the title to Back Injury, Out for Awhile…
  • Administrator

On the bright side, if you're not golfing, you can't be shanking. 🙂

Get well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Get well!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thank all of you for the best wishes. I’m hoping I see some improvement soon. Taking it very easy. I’ve never had back issues before and boy is it a lousy club to join. Alternating heat/ice therapy. It’s actually the cough, hiccups that are the worse. And laughing needs to avoided for sure ( I had that wonderful realization after reading @iacas shank comment..thanks for the jolt bro!...lol) Anyway, thanks again and I’ll try and post an update. 

Sunday night took a turn for the worse. Spasms became so bad I couldn’t even function. Couldn’t get to cell phone so spent and hour standing, holding on the kitchen counter waiting for the pain to subside. Ended up able to get to phone and call 911. It was a chore getting me out to the ambulance. Had to take nasally administered Versed just for me to able to get on stretcher. 
Still here on various pain meds and relaxants. MRI scheduled. I feel for all of you who have had back injuries. I’ve never had pain like it with these spasms. Can’t even so much as clear my throat without triggering a spasm. Morphine on board now so sorry if I’m rambling..not sure what I’m doing really....cheers guys.

• Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that. Please keep us updated, and get well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!