IGNORED

What Is Your Anti-Handicap?

hawkeye

Using the 10 worst formula my anti handicap average is 7.8. But 4 of those 10 were earlier this year after not picking up a club for 4 months. I was shooting 80s back then lol. Unfortunately due to medical crap, i haven't played since april. Those four rounds in the 80s pushed my actual handicap up to 0.2 back in April. Highest its been in at least 5 years. 

I'm not as consistent as I'd like to be (no big surprise).   My current handicap is 16.9 with my anti-handicap at 23.2 for a differential of 6.3.   A work in progress.   

Anti-handicap....coool.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Current index trend is 9.2 (official last revision is 9.6), and current anti-handicap trend is 13.4.  The gap between the two, that is about 4 points, has been narrowing in the last year or two. Before that, the gap was easily 6, 7 or 8 points!

Still, anti-handicap is driven higher by rounds around 88-91 that are typical of much tougher tracks I go to once in a while, or of the occasional T tournaments where nerves are more at play.  My usual (easier) go-to courses that drive most of my handicap yield an average score of 80-83, with the occasional 85-86, and the occasional 77-79.

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Someone said "you are as good as your bad shots" shouldn't it apply to our hándicap too? Should it be calculated with the worst 10 of our last 20 rounds? Like the anti-handicap but with a different fórmula...

• 2 years later...

It's been a couple of years since this thread has surfaced.       Currently sitting at 13.9 trending to 13.4 with my anti handicap at 19.5.   It's a roller coaster ride.    

The first lesson I ever had with my previous instructor, he asked me "What's your goal".   I said to be more consistent!  He laughed at me!   I am consistent, just up and down.   

On 5/24/2014 at 6:52 AM, billchao said:

Just found this thread. Never knew about anti-handicap before, so here's mine:

Current Handicap - 19

Anti-Handicap - 26.7

I have scores from 2010 that are used in my handicap calculations which I don't feel accurately depict my game anymore, so if I used my scores from the last 10 rounds:

Handicap, last 10 rounds - 21.9

Anti-Handicap, last 10 rounds - 27

I think that's a much more accurate representation of my golf ability.

Is it weird I still feel like I suck at golf?

Currently trending at 12.7, anti-cap 18.7. Interesting that the difference is about 6 strokes, the same as it was years ago.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I can be just as stupid as I am intelligent...does that qualify?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Is it weird I still feel like I suck at golf?

Currently trending at 12.7, anti-cap 18.7. Interesting that the difference is about 6 strokes, the same as it was years ago.

Even though my handicap has dropped about 3 strokes in 2 years, the difference is still about 6 strokes for me also.

The way I play, my anti-handicap would probably be 10-15 shots higher than my handicap. Since I started playing again after getting my shoulder fixed, I've played what can only be called schizophrenic golf.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

FWIW I don't mean to be a downer here (and I haven't read through the whole thread), but I don't understand how this stat helps anyone.  Too much focus on the negative and how badly one can play, which many of us do already.  I would recommend that someone focuses on average score if they mainly play one course or average differential if they play many different courses.  I think this helps keep a better perspective.  The truth is most golfers are more consistent than they realize.  Lower handicappers tend to be +-2 strokes to average while higher handicaps are usually +-4 strokes.  When you think about in terms of a golf score, a swing of 4-8 strokes isn't really that inconsistent.

As I said thinking about it this way has really helped me keep things in perspective.  Sure I want to shoot a 75 every time out, but I know that my home course average is 77 and if a have an off day and shoot 79, well it's only a two strokes worse than average.  I know after tracking this for a long time that 90% of my differentials are going to be within 2 strokes of average.  I'm good with that, as long as the average is where my goals are.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gbogey said:

FWIW I don't mean to be a downer here (and I haven't read through the whole thread), but I don't understand how this stat helps anyone.  Too much focus on the negative and how badly one can play, which many of us do already.  I would recommend that someone focuses on average score if they mainly play one course or average differential if they play many different courses.  I think this helps keep a better perspective.  The truth is most golfers are more consistent than they realize.  Lower handicappers tend to be +-2 strokes to average while higher handicaps are usually +-4 strokes.  When you think about in terms of a golf score, a swing of 4-8 strokes isn't really that inconsistent.

As I said thinking about it this way has really helped me keep things in perspective.  Sure I want to shoot a 75 every time out, but I know that my home course average is 77 and if a have an off day and shoot 79, well it's only a two strokes worse than average.  I know after tracking this for a long time that 90% of my differentials are going to be within 2 strokes of average.  I'm good with that, as long as the average is where my goals are.

You’re not a downer as this isn’t really intended to be a negative stat. Anti-handicap is just a way to gauge consistency really. And a little entertainment. For some it may provide a little reality as well. 😀

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 3 years later...

Was looking at my (unofficial) handicap tracking spreadsheet and realized that I am at an all-time low personal delta between my handicap and anti-handicap.

I was pretty happy to see this as a focal point of my course strategy / target selection lately has been eliminating doubles or worse. I see lower overall score variability as evidence I’m actually doing that.

For those unfamiliar with the idea of Anti-Handicap:

The Range @ TheGrint.com - Explaining the Anti-Handicap in TheGrint App -

Was curious to learn from others what theirs look like and if they feel it speaks to a trend in their course strategy, target selection, etc.

Handicap: 9.1

Anti-Handicap: 13.8

So it goes.

When the system used to be 10/20 scores, it was pretty easy to figure out what your anticap should be. It's a little harder now with it being 8/20 - do you use 12/20 or 8/20 for your anticap? I guess 8/20. On that basis, my current handicap is +1.1 and my anticap is 3.8. 

Fun stat that I always enjoy - Tiger in 2000 his handicap index was +8.1 based on published course and slope ratings (where slope reduces you towards zero). Playing a typical tour course with let's say a slope rating of 145, that would be equivalent to a course handicap of +10. His anticap at the time was +5.6. So the average of his worst ten scores out of his last twenty was somewhere around 7 under the course rating. Pretty solid stuff. 

• iacas changed the title to Handicap vs. Anti-Handicap
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

or 8/20

Worst 8 of 20, yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets