DeadMan

Billy Mayfair's DQ

9 posts / 1201 viewsLast Reply

Holy crap, I came across this article about Billy Mayfair's DQ on the Champions Tour:

mayfaircaddie.jpg

Billy Mayfair‘s 2nd round at the Invesco QQQ Championship was ordinary for 10 holes. Then he broke two rules. Here's what happened next.

Highlights:

• He arguably lied to the rules official about what caused his ball to move.
  • He has retained a lawyer to address this (!).
  • The PGA Tour seems to be sandbagging the media here to prevent the video of this getting out.

Yikes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

Holy crap, I came across this article about Billy Mayfair's DQ on the Champions Tour:

mayfaircaddie.jpg

Billy Mayfair‘s 2nd round at the Invesco QQQ Championship was ordinary for 10 holes. Then he broke two rules. Here's what happened next.

Highlights:

• He arguably lied to the rules official about what caused his ball to move.
  • He has retained a lawyer to address this (!).
  • The PGA Tour seems to be sandbagging the media here to prevent the video of this getting out.

Yikes.

Lied? Just a seemingly inaccurate recounting. This is a Rules slam dunk, can't see the 'rules officials are only there to help, not to penalise' standing up in court.

15 minutes ago, Asheville said:

In my opinion, a well written report by Michael Bamberger.

Agreed.

This is bull:

“What I always got from P.J. Boatwright was that the rules officials were always there to help the players, they were there not to call penalties on you, not just to try to get you disqualified,” Mayfair said.

Uhm, Billy, follow the f***ing Rules.

“I wish this could have been handled more on an on-the-level basis,” Mayfair said. “It could have been handled better.”

Yeah, by you, Billy!

I was reminded elsewhere that this was Billy Mayfair:

The truth is, there’s exactly one guy who is known to mis-mark his ball by two or three inches. Ask any player about cheating, and they’ll all tell you the same name. I was paired with this notorious individual recently, and I witnessed it. Using his hand to obscure the distance behind the ball, he picks up his coin so fast that you almost can’t be certain of what you’ve just seen. But when you see it enough times, it becomes pretty obvious. What’s more, this was just after the anchor ban, and he was using a long putter. He wears baggy shirts, but I could tell that he was anchoring. After the round, we got into a heated debate in the scoring trailer when I refused to sign his card. He claimed that if the end of his grip touched his chest, it was accidental. The way the rule is written, it’s all about intent, and an official signed his card.

From this article:

Undercover-Tour-Pro-marking-the-ball.jpg

‘There are maybe 20 guys who deliberately fudge their mark within a half-inch.’

This is greasy.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I was reminded elsewhere that this was Billy Mayfair:

This is greasier.

3 hours ago, fredf said:

Lied? Just a seemingly inaccurate recounting.

I said "arguably." According to that, he put his wedge in the grass behind the ball, and didn't tell the rules official that came by that he did that. Pretty big oversight, given that the ball moved right after that.

I like how he cited the incident on 17 after he was called into the broadcast truck to see the replay by the head rules official as calling a penalty on himself.

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I said "arguably." According to that, he put his wedge in the grass behind the ball, and didn't tell the rules official that came by that he did that. Pretty big oversight, given that the ball moved right after that.

I was only citing the words from  Michael Bamberger's well-written article, not contesting anything you said. I'd be confident Bamberger had tongue-in-cheek or a cautious company lawyer.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I like how he cited the incident on 17 after he was called into the broadcast truck to see the replay by the head rules official as calling a penalty on himself.

Indeed, absolutely shameless. Smacks of someone that thinks the world owes him and suggests a person that will repeat the crime endlessly while getting away with it.