IGNORED

Best Ball for Mid- to High-Handicapper?

Note: This thread is 1513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was playing Laddie Extreme for the past few months but I found a box of old Wilson Smart-Core balls in my golf supplies last weekend. This past Wednesday, I switch mid-round and the Wilson balls went further but 5 to 7 yds. but the Laddie hold the green better. I've been searching for the orange Smart-Cores but seems Wilson killed this ball/color combo. I know most of the balls mentioned earlier are better but I try to save $$$ any way I can. 

I don't think that my game is particularly ball dependent.

I buy the Pro V1x ball so that I don't have to screw around with Sharpies to mark my ball. They come with my name and "79" for the ball number.   If I'm trying to break a bad spell, I try the Penfold Ace for a while.

Back when Spalding made it, I played the original Top Flite (not XL) until it went out of production. I don't need surlyn anymore because urethane isn't as flimsy as the  natural balata on the old wound balls.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, Double Drops said:

I'm looking for suggestions for a new ball.  I'm a mid- to high-handicapper and am open to suggestions.  I would prefer something with a little spin on it, but nothing crazy.

Cheap...…  LOL

I like the Titelist X-Outs  …..  Typically DT Trusoft and Velocity…….  runs about $1 or so each...

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/14/2019 at 4:43 PM, dagogolfer25 said:

Try the Wilson Duo. It's the best $20 ball on the market. You won't be sorry.

I agree!

-- Robert

In my bag: :ping:  G400 (10.5 degrees) | :callaway: Diablo Edge 5 Wood |:callaway: X-Hot 3 Hybrid | spacer.png 4 - PW Hybrid D350 Combo | :vokey:SM4 50, SM5 58, SM6 54 & 56 Wedges | :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 | :bushnell: Tour V4 Rangefinder | :bagboy:Defender Cart Bag

There are several decent inexpensive (relatively) balls for high handicappers. I can't speak for anyone else but I don't think the premium balls will help my game that much at this point. That being said, the following are the ones I  like.

• OnCore Avant
  • Snell Get Sum
  • Srixon Soft Feel
  • Kirkland Signature 3 piece (or 4 piece if you can find it)

Generally in that order. Wilson Duo is also a good ball.

Honestly, whatever you can afford, or find, is the answer here. I played Vice Pros for about the last 6 months of the year. 125 for 5 dozen got me through that time. Coming into the new year I switched to Snell Blacks, and I couldn't be happier. A bit more durable than the Vice balls, and only 15 dollars more for 5 dozen. Hopefully my game gets better this year and I only need the 60 balls to get me through.

If you have a place where you can successfully shag balls, then I wouldn't even bother buying anything. They are all fairly round and go about the same distance. If you notice that you don't like something about a certain ball, then just don't shag 'em. I figure if you can get a decent variety from that, and find something you like, then you will figure out what you want to buy. I've lived next door to a country club all my life, and have probably shagged 5k balls or so, almost all of them in my youth, and some of them sold back to the players that lost them (ProV1s for 15 bucks a dozen, with their initials already on them). Sure, I was trespassing, but at 13, and I wasn't that worried.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

On 11/14/2019 at 4:28 PM, Double Drops said:

I'm looking for suggestions for a new ball.  I'm a mid- to high-handicapper and am open to suggestions.  I would prefer something with a little spin on it, but nothing crazy.

What I've done for my balls the last 3 years just go on EBAY find the AAAA quality Taylormade Project-As great ball you can get 120 of them for $60 (new they go for $35 a dozen) virtually every ball looks pristine one out of every 7-8 might have a small scuff on it but nothing to write home about. Tour like performance for a ball you wont feel too bad about losing which for a high handicapper is perfect. 

TaylorMadeProjecta2018ball_300x200.jpg

TaylorMade get full marks for latest Project (a) performance.

Edited by Lugowskins

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 12:26 AM, Bonvivant said:

If you have a place where you can successfully shag balls, then I wouldn't even bother buying anything. They are all fairly round and go about the same distance. If you notice that you don't like something about a certain ball, then just don't shag 'em. I figure if you can get a decent variety from that, and find something you like, then you will figure out what you want to buy.

What Bonivant said....honestly, I have garnered a good variety of balls from Pro-V1's to Top Flite XL's to out of production Dunlops. Some are sweet off the club face, others like rocks.  All of this of course is in pitch/chip mode in the back yard.  Likewise - I have have been gifted Pro-V1X's, Tour Softs, Callaway Superhot 70's and Pinnacle Softs.  Along with a stash of DT TruSoft's and a few DT So-Lo's and Srixon Z-Stars.  What do I like playing - right now it's the DT TruSofts.  As a mid- to hi-handicapper, they play well and if I lose one its no big deal.  Good luck on your quest...

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 1/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, Lugowskins said:

What I've done for my balls the last 3 years just go on EBAY find the AAAA quality Taylormade Project-As great ball you can get 120 of them for $60 (new they go for $35 a dozen) virtually every ball looks pristine one out of every 7-8 might have a small scuff on it but nothing to write home about. Tour like performance for a ball you wont feel too bad about losing which for a high handicapper is perfect. 

I can't get past all the strange and weird logos on the AAAA balls. It's a distraction.

9 hours ago, WillieT said:

What Bonivant said....honestly, I have garnered a good variety of balls from Pro-V1's to Top Flite XL's to out of production Dunlops. Some are sweet off the club face, others like rocks.  All of this of course is in pitch/chip mode in the back yard.  Likewise - I have have been gifted Pro-V1X's, Tour Softs, Callaway Superhot 70's and Pinnacle Softs.  Along with a stash of DT TruSoft's and a few DT So-Lo's and Srixon Z-Stars.  What do I like playing - right now it's the DT TruSofts.  As a mid- to hi-handicapper, they play well and if I lose one its no big deal.  Good luck on your quest...

I second the trusofts of you are going to buy. In my opinion they are a fairly premium ball that feels and bites as good as any other but for half the price. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

8 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I can't get past all the strange and weird logos on the AAAA balls. It's a distraction.

I just got my batch a few weeks ago i got 120 of them I think only one or two had any sort of logo on them it. Obviously differs each order but I doubt there'd be enough of them for you to be disappointed. Maybe 20 or so had a scuff on them while I only had one that was bad enough to keep it out of my bag. For the most part they're simply in there because someone put an alignment line on the ball. 

On 1/16/2020 at 12:59 PM, Lugowskins said:

and @Double Mocha Man, used balls are always hit or miss, usually a miss.  You're usually better off getting brand new balls, even if they aren't premium.  Used premium balls are waterlogged and only God knows what has been done to them.  I used to get ProV1 and X balls used and they never performed well; ball speed would be down a lot.  I've seen balls near 10 mph slower than a new ball.  

Ever since then, I never buy used balls.  If you're wanting to save some money, I highly recommend the ProV1 and X PRACTICE balls; they are the same premium ball, but with only appearance blemishes.  I use them at home on the simulator.

10 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

a scuff

Performance issues with a ball are not always visible to the eye.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:26 AM, Bonvivant said:

They are all fairly round and go about the same distance.

That made me literally laugh out loud. Good one!

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, trombettista_vecchio said:

I don't think that my game is particularly ball dependent.

I buy the Pro V1x ball so that I don't have to screw around with Sharpies to mark my ball. They come with my name and "79" for the ball number.   If I'm trying to break a bad spell, I try the Penfold Ace for a while.

Back when Spalding made it, I played the original Top Flite (not XL) until it went out of production. I don't need surlyn anymore because urethane isn't as flimsy as the  natural balata on the old wound balls.

Those balatas would smile at you if you hit one a little thin. That is one ball you need to be a good ball striker to play them I loved the feel and spin on them, but they were a bit dainty. 😬

I have been playing the Wilson Duo Soft 29 for a few days now. Its like hitting a marshmallow with a Twinkie. Just getting back into the game and it seems fine for me in distance at this point and I like the feel of it off the club, just feels nice and brown.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Looking at trying the Wilson DX2 Optic in yellow or Neon green.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 1513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!