Braivo

Russell Henley Reports Himself for One Ball Rule, Penalized 8 Shots, Misses Cut

13 posts / 3735 viewsLast Reply

This is bizarre. He was still playing a Pro V1x, but apparently there are different "models" of the Pro V1x that are marked by a "dash" somehow. Kudos to Russell for reporting himself on this. 

GCLogo.png

Russell Henley was docked eight shots Saturday at the Mayakoba Golf Classic for violating the One Ball Rule.

Russell Henley went from contending to missing the cut Saturday at the Mayakoba Golf Classic thanks to a costly mistake.

Henley was signing balls for fans after his second round when he realized one of the balls was a slightly different model than the Titleist Pro V1x he regularly uses. Henley said he was unsure how the ball got in his bag but that he used it on hole Nos. 9-12.

As a result, Henley was penalized two shots on each hole, eight strokes in all, for violating Rule 20-3, which covers all rules not laid out in the Rules of Golf.

It was a small dash, a different way it was marked that would have been easy to overlook,” PGA Tour rules official Brad Fabel told PGATour.com, adding that it took eight officials an hour and a half to determine a ruling and appropriate penalty. “He came to us and said he didn’t know how it had gotten in his bag."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, the dash model is a new release.  TXG did a video on the ball on YouTube.  If I recall correctly, it's a lower spinning ball.

Just got back from the Russell Athletic site.  Unfortunately...they do not offer a Henley.

That really is extraordinary behavior.  I wonder how long it took him to make the decision to turn himself in.  Did he consider all of the ramifications first?

I do not know the fellow's financial circumstances, so I am assuming they are not dire.  If that is so, this is probably a very wise decision for him, and not just an honest one.  Sure, he missed the cut.  There will be other tournaments.  But this has been an opportunity for him to show his quality, and he comes out looking unimpeachable.

This guy will now forever have a sheen of excellence about him in my eyes.

4 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

That really is extraordinary behavior.  I wonder how long it took him to make the decision to turn himself in.  Did he consider all of the ramifications first?

I do not know the fellow's financial circumstances, so I am assuming they are not dire.  If that is so, this is probably a very wise decision for him, and not just an honest one.  Sure, he missed the cut.  There will be other tournaments.  But this has been an opportunity for him to show his quality, and he comes out looking unimpeachable.

This guy will now forever have a sheen of excellence about him in my eyes.

By doing the right thing he set a great example for the other tour players, up and coming player, and even lowly hackers.  Integrity and honesty are meant to be part of the game, if they are lost, it's not the game we all are so obsessed with.  Even playing by myself, when it matters to no one, I try to play be the rules, possibly to a fault.  It's just part of the game.

ok, wait...    hold on.   

Is the suggestion here that you have to play the same model of ball for every single hole?   

And, how dies that affect us shlubs that have 6 different types of ball in our bag?

2 minutes ago, lastings said:

ok, wait...    hold on.   

Is the suggestion here that you have to play the same model of ball for every single hole?   

And, how dies that affect us shlubs that have 6 different types of ball in our bag?

What "suggestion"?

It's a Rule on the PGA Tour. It's not in effect for regular play or, honestly, almost any lower-level competitions. I don't even think the PGA Championship has the One Ball Rule in effect.

11 hours ago, lastings said:

ok, wait...    hold on.   

It is a Local Rule G-4.

It includes the following words.

"This Local Rule is recommended for use only in competitions limited to highly skilled players (that is, professional competitions and elite amateur competitions)."

Edited by Rulesman

6 hours ago, Rulesman said:

It is a Local Rule G-4.

It includes the following words.

"This Local Rule is recommended for use only in competitions limited to highly skilled players (that is, professional competitions and elite amateur competitions)."

ahh.   that makes more sense.   thanks.  

Something caddies should learn from.  If I was a caddy, before every tournament round, everything is pulled from the bag, then put back in the bag while checking off a check list, clubs are counted, and balls are inspected.

Although, even with that procedure, the difference between one pro v1x model and another pro v1x model could easily be missed.

Edited by No Mulligans

True. And seeing as how most pros get their balls for free (I guess), how did that odd ball wind up in his bag? I can appreciate Henley's confusion. Packaging error at Acushnet?