IGNORED

PGA Tour's 2020 Pace of Play Changes

iacas
Note: This thread is 1176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

PGA Tour's Policy  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How big of a difference will the PGA Tour's new policy make?

• None - It's all for show.
    • Some. They'll make an example of a few people, and that'll be that.
    • A moderate amount. Players will speed up after a few get some penalty shots.
    • A bunch. It will noticeably improve the pace of play on the PGA Tour.

14 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And if the word "must" is in the rule, what room is there to carve out a "reasonableness" standard? 

The only "must" in a rule is that you "must" go to your in-law"s house for Thanksgiving.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I remember reading an essay by Feherty where he cited someone asking him if there should be two sets of rules, one for pros and one for amateurs. He said there already are. In fact, more than two! They're called "Local Rules". Just look at the back of the scorecard of any course you play. It will say, something like, The Rules of Golf apply except...and then will follow the Local Rules. 

No. Just… no. That's not correct.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

@iacas has a good point on it's own merit. And if the word must is in the rule, what room is there to carve out a "reasonableness" standard? 

In the same manner laws/rules are made.  We have general rules and exceptions all the time.  This isn't really difficult to write or enforce.  In fact, as I have said, I think it would be easier to enforce as that would be the general rule unless there was an express exclusion.  This would positively impact pace of play.  "Reasonableness" is a good standard and can be defined and enforced easily.  

As you alluded to with differing sets of rules, this is easily done.  I'm saying do it the other way around by making it the default rule.

48 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

@iacas has a good point on it's own merit.

And I don't agree with him on his point.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

This isn't really difficult to write or enforce.

Spoken like someone who hasn't had much experience with the Rules of Golf.

11 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

"Reasonableness" is a good standard and can be defined and enforced easily.  

the office lol GIF

P.S. And, once again, when you add "must" to this Rule, you're going to penalize me for telling a two-minute story on my recent trip to Dormie Club where, at one point, my playing partner and I may have been the only two people playing golf at that time? Because were this an actual Rule of Golf, instead of a "should" rule, I'd be subject to a penalty for not playing my shot within 40 seconds.

The rule is very good as it is now, as it lets the Committee decide, for their event, what "must" happen, and the consequences for when those things don't happen.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Spoken like someone who hasn't had much experience with the Rules of Golf.

Wrong.

P.S. And, once again, when you add "must" to this Rule, you're going to penalize me for telling a two-minute story on my recent trip to Dormie Club where, at one point, my playing partner and I may have been the only two people playing golf at that time?

Spoken like someone who knows little about rules or law generally.  (or maybe didn't understand what I said)

Did I not say you can write exceptions to general rules?  You do realize that there are general rules and exceptions to rules all the time in real life, right?  The same can be done for golf.  The point here is that golf needs to be sped up on the whole.  Therefore, make it the general rule.  You can carve out exceptions to those rules to cover you and your buddies chat.  This isn't very hard to do.

The rule is very good as it is now, as it lets the Committee decide, for their event, what "must" happen, and the consequences for when those things don't happen.

I disagree and apparently most people do when it comes to pace of play.  It ain't workin' so let's fix it.

Edited by ncates00

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

Wrong.

You've not illustrated such in this discussion.

Spoken like someone who knows little about rules or law generally.  (or maybe didn't understand what I said)

I don't think you're understanding much here.

Did I not say you can write exceptions to general rules?

Oy.

The point here is that golf needs to be sped up on the whole. Therefore, make it the general rule.

For f***'s sake: NO, for the reasons I've repeated now a few times.

You can carve out exceptions to those rules to cover you and your buddies chat.  This isn't very hard to do.

Yes, it is.

I disagree and apparently most people do when it comes to pace of play.  It ain't workin' so let's fix it.

The two are not related.

Go ahead, change the word to "must," and don't even include any exceptions. Slow play problem solved? Uhhh…

happy shirley temple GIF

No.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Yes, it is. Christ.

You're right.  Very hard to do... let's see... don't kill any one.  Exception: self-defense or defense of another.  

🙄

• Administrator
Just now, ncates00 said:

You're right.  Very hard to do... let's see... don't kill any one.  Exception: self-defense or defense of another.  

🙄

Man, who knew that the 50 states, never mind the various countries of the world, could have condensed the thousands of pages of laws regarding one person being involved in the death of another person into a single f***ing sentence that covers every possibility wherein one human is involved in the death of another.

Once again, and for the last time: back to the topic.

17 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Wrong.

Did I not say you can write exceptions to general rules?  You do realize that there are general rules and exceptions to rules all the time in real life, right?  The same can be done for golf.  The point here is that golf needs to be sped up on the whole.  Therefore, make it the general rule.  You can carve out exceptions to those rules to cover you and your buddies chat.  This isn't very hard to do.

So after a significant effort to simplify the rules, you want to create a new rule that is unenforceable outside of the setting of a professionally run tournament and requires exceptions to make it fit the real world.

Doesn't sound like a plan I would sign off on.

• Thumbs Up 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 1 month later...
sawgrass-847-clubhouse-samgreenwood.jpg

After years of meticulous study and thousands of shots analyzed by ShotLink, and in light of a desire to keep the focus on the golf, the PGA TOUR is announcing major enhancements to its existing slow-play policy...

Appears like it could be more than a media stunt.  I hope we see the changes.

• Informative 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

120 seconds to play any single shot gets a bad time.  Color me underwhelmed.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 minutes ago, phillyk said:
sawgrass-847-clubhouse-samgreenwood.jpg

After years of meticulous study and thousands of shots analyzed by ShotLink, and in light of a desire to keep the focus on the golf, the PGA TOUR is announcing major enhancements to its existing slow-play policy...

Appears like it could be more than a media stunt.  I hope we see the changes.

How can Bryson use psychometric charts for humidity and cross calculate wind deflection versus altitude in 120 seconds! He's not a damn computer????:-P

I foresee this face a lot.

BD Mad.jpg

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Having this "secret" list and whatnot just smacks of yet another weak attempt to curb slow play without actually ever having to hand out a penalty or really even deal with the issue. If the PGA Tour really wanted to curb slow play and were willing to actually penalize players in the process, then they would come up with a strong POP policy. A policy that would not only allow officials to penalize slow players, it would expect them to.

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

8 hours ago, David in FL said:

120 seconds to play any single shot gets a bad time.  Color me underwhelmed.

Yet it will probably overwhelm Patrick Reed and Bryson DC. Heard a little blurb about this on talk radio today. Supposed to kick in after the Masters according to the reporter. My question is how will they be penalized? Money or strokes? Strokes cost you real money! I remember when Glen "All" Day was a notoriously slow player on the Tour. He said he'd just as as soon cut a check for a thousand dollars to the powers that be, and take all the time he wanted to on the course! 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Patrick Reed

Patrick Reed is not a known slow player.

13 hours ago, colin007 said:

Another anonymous interview, oh well. Michael Collins is a world class suck up.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0114%2Fr652187_1

Slow play is one of the biggest issues in golf. The Tour is trying to fix it. We...

I think he was just looking in a mirror when he was interviewing the “player”.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

A couple thoughts:

1. I don't think these changes are going to make much of a difference. The PGA Tour saw a bunch of articles and what-not about people changing the channel because of slow play and are saying what they need to to keep people watching. I don't expect any significant improvement to pace-of-play.
  2. Zack Johnson doesn't know what the word "proactive" means.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 1176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!