Jump to content
IGNORED

PGA Tour's 2020 Pace of Play Changes


PGA Tour's Policy  

36 members have voted

  1. 1. How big of a difference will the PGA Tour's new policy make?

    • None - It's all for show.
      13
    • Some. They'll make an example of a few people, and that'll be that.
      15
    • A moderate amount. Players will speed up after a few get some penalty shots.
      8
    • A bunch. It will noticeably improve the pace of play on the PGA Tour.
      0


Recommended Posts

Only Aussies and Kiwis will understand this. I use to play with a guy who was notoriously slow on the greens and we called him ANZAC.

He use to putt after a minutes silence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DeChamblows   Anyways, if they allowed JB Holmes eight minutes to hit a layup, then nothing is going to happen. 

Wrong. Playing faster is completely in their hands.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Yay!

The European Tour has always been more for this stuff than they are on the Slugger White Tour.

Couldn't happen to a slower guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The more I look at this issue, the more it relates to the pool world for me. There are some extremely slow pool players out there, but when it comes to big time tournaments, there is a shot clock involved (at least in the later rounds of the tournament). Something I would like to see is this: Players are on a 40 second shot clock that starts when it is their turn to play. When it gets to 5 seconds left, a noise comes in that ticks every 1 second. One time per hole, a player may use an "extension", which is activated by saying "extension" which adds 1 minute to their shot clock. If the player fails to strike the ball before their timer runs out, it resets and a stroke is added to their score. The only time that this would be altered would be in the case of calling over a rules official for another issue. If the rules official deems that they did not need to be called over, and feels that the player is trying to swindle more time by calling them over, some other penalty may incur at the official's discretion (perhaps 2 strokes for stalling). Time could be kept by volunteers or the like. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Players are on a 40 second shot clock that starts when it is their turn to play

How would that work for the first person to hit their approach shot? Because technically the moment after all 3 players have hit their tee shots, it becomes that person's turn to play.

19 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

When it gets to 5 seconds left, a noise comes in that ticks every 1 second. 

This would never happen.

19 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Time could be kept by volunteers or the like.

And what if a volunteer likes one player more than another so they "forget" to start the timer on time, resulting in that player getting extra time?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, klineka said:

How would that work for the first person to hit their approach shot? Because technically the moment after all 3 players have hit their tee shots, it becomes that person's turn to play.

The 40 seconds mentioned in the rule starts when you get to your ball. The method I was refering to with the clock and beeper is just what they use in pool, so it's what I know. Obviously pool and golf are different, but the system works very well in a pool setting so that one player can't ice others out by taking more time than necessary. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

The 40 seconds mentioned in the rule starts when you get to your ball.

That would also unfairly benefit the longer hitters because someone like Rory or Cameron Champ hitting last in the group would almost always have more than 40 seconds compared to someone like Kevin Kisner or Chez Reavie.

I understand that longer hitters now currently have longer as well, but assessing an instant one stroke penalty every single time any player were to go over the 40 second mark seems excessive IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, klineka said:

That would also unfairly benefit the longer hitters because someone like Rory or Cameron Champ hitting last in the group would almost always have more than 40 seconds compared to someone like Kevin Kisner or Chez Reavie.

I understand that longer hitters now currently have longer as well, but assessing an instant one stroke penalty every single time any player were to go over the 40 second mark seems excessive IMO.

Make it 60 seconds then with a 60 second extension like a was talking about earlier.

I was nice to see Bryson get put on the clock then proceed to bogey the last 4 holes to lose by 4 this weekend. Maybe just being put on the clock is enough to make them crack under the pressure. If that's all it takes, then great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is the type of clock that I was talking about this. Just put this into play everywhere, not just for a special event.

 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

 

This is brilliant. I played my local 5800 yard track in 2:15 yesterday, and that was without running.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well on the European Tour they have started to work on this. Like stated above DeCham got a warning and when I was watching live Pepperell asked a rules official for an extension, so another 40 seconds. The rules official looked back and saw there was no one waiting for him and allowed him another 40 seconds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Administrator

So, this policy is going into effect now (or soon), because COVID delayed it.

People will be timed, there will be a list, your average time matters (so fast players will be able to take longer on a few difficult shots throughout the round), etc.

I hope tap-ins aren’t really counted, or that will bring down the averages for everyone quite a bit.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/26/2020 at 2:51 PM, Bonvivant said:

The more I look at this issue, the more it relates to the pool world for me. There are some extremely slow pool players out there, but when it comes to big time tournaments, there is a shot clock involved (at least in the later rounds of the tournament). Something I would like to see is this: Players are on a 40 second shot clock that starts when it is their turn to play. When it gets to 5 seconds left, a noise comes in that ticks every 1 second. One time per hole, a player may use an "extension", which is activated by saying "extension" which adds 1 minute to their shot clock. If the player fails to strike the ball before their timer runs out, it resets and a stroke is added to their score. The only time that this would be altered would be in the case of calling over a rules official for another issue. If the rules official deems that they did not need to be called over, and feels that the player is trying to swindle more time by calling them over, some other penalty may incur at the official's discretion (perhaps 2 strokes for stalling). Time could be kept by volunteers or th

 

When Lou Stagner asked this on Twitter a few weeks back, ALOT of people brought up how well the curling timing system works and how it alleviated the tv ratings problems of teams taking too long.

 

I think the curling system would work very well in golf.

Edited by cutchemist42
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, cutchemist42 said:

 

When Lou Stagner asked this on Twitter a few weeks back, ALOT of people brought up how well the curling timing system works and how it alleviated the tv ratings problems of teams taking too long.

 

I think the curling system would work very well in golf.

I could agree with this, but I think that the time should almost certainly be 40 seconds * x(par of the course) which would give each player 48 minutes.

So 6 miles (this would be if they weren't hitting it dead straight or there were big walks between green and tee) x 15 minute miles (4mph is just a good brisk walking speed) is 90 minutes + 48 minutes * 3 players comes out to a 3.9 hour round. I think that would be acceptable to me.

Guys could take their time on important shots, but would be completely DQed if they went over their allotted 48 minutes. That fear alone would speed many up. I don't know that everyone on tour walks that fast, but at least PoP would be ever looming and they wouldn't just sit there waiting for the wind to die down and stuff like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...