IGNORED

What Are Your 2020 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As it is always my goal every year for golf... Consistency in shooting near my H.I.! 

I am sick and tired of shooting high 70's and then backing that up with shooting high 80's and even low to mid 90's.  I want to shoot near 70/80 border all the time.  But my goal has already been thrown out the window.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Little late coming in here, but wanted to throw my two cents in. 

1) Get my index below 11. I just started GHIN about 2 months ago and I've been playing unusually good golf by my standards so I feel like it's artificially low at the moment sitting at 11.3, so I'm going to stick with that. I'll hope to achieve that by playing at least twice a week and limiting the drinking on the course (amazing how much that helps). 

2) Improve GIR % to >35%. It's currently sitting around a pitiful 25%. My short game saves me, but I lose a lot of shots and certainly don't gain any by missing so many greens. I'll achieve this by working on better course management as I need to position myself off the tee better and not try to bomb driver down tight fairways. Hard to get GIR when you're hitting behind a tree on your second shot. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I realize this is the 2020 Goal page but in Michigan the golf season winds down in October, depending on weather, and I am thinking about my 2021 goals.  One goal I was looking at was to improve by Driving Accuracy/Fairways Hit.  So far in 2020 I have it @ 33% of fairways with 35% right & 33% left.  I was thinking about a goal of 60% Fairways Hit but then looked on-line and saw that many Tour-pros have percentages below 60%. 

I understand they are hitting from the tips and may have much narrower fairways in many cases but am I being too aggressive in thinking I should try to get to 60%?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I would love to have consistent ball striking.  I am new to playing golf but have followed the game all my life.  At this stage of my game I can't always hit the ball.  Lessons and lots of practice are what I need.  At 44 my swing speed barely averages 70-80.  I'll get there though eventually just got to keep going.

My handicap is roughly at 18. 10 years ago at the lowest point it was 13. I took 4 years off and just started to play again 2 months ago. I started golf in 2000 without any lesson and I have many issues including backswing too flat, too much movement in right knee, bad weight shift, flipping at impact.

I am taking lessons and finished the 3rd out of 8 lessons series. My goals are:

1) Hit the ball more solidly - currently I top the ball or hit it fat 4 to 6 times in a round which cost me 5 to 8 strokes. Not counting all of the pushes, hooks and slices.

i) Proper weight shift at the start of backswing

ii) More steep backswing with left shoulder pointing at ball

iii) Bow wrist at top of backswing

iv) Less arm and more hip swing

2) Become single digit handicap in 1 year

i) Better putting

ii) Better chipping

iii) Aim at center of the green, safe side of green and not aiming at flags 

iv) Slow down on the course, have a pre shot routine

v) Listening to golf hypnosis at sleep - to be loose when playing - I am too tense right now

I will continue to take lessons until I get close to single digit handicap. My guess is 8 lesson series is probably not enough. I may take another 8 lesson series after this.

Edited by khalespace

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

• 1 month later...

Only about a month and half left to go. Here are my short term goals

1. Lessons. Purchase a set of 3 and have 1 lesson left. Complete this before December
  2. Range sessions 3 times a week
    1. 30 minutes of putt. This is important because I've been consistently having at least 2 or 3, 3 putts and some times 4 putts. 
      1. Round the clock style that Phil Mickelson teaches. Making 50 3 ft putts
      2. 5 set of Stroke speed (slow, medium, fast) 3 strokes each
    2. 40 minutes of drive and long irons. Hitting GIR is very rare for me and I think getting my drivers in play + long irons to 50-130 yards out gives me a great chance  
      1. Finding different points in the range and practicing aiming. 
      2. Mainly repetition work with my new swing
    3. 20 minutes of Wedges + Pitch. I'm most confident with hitting my wedges (10ft - 100ft), but I'm absolutely terrified of hitting a flop/skidding wedge on the greenside rough. I always overshoot or don't hit it enough. 

What I hope this converts to more GIR. I'm currently averaging 3.8 GIR, but would like to bring it to 6. I think this is my path to a lower handicap (19.9). I record my lesson + range sessions to review at the end of the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to be more consistent. Although I play more golf in the spring/summer than the fall/winter so I don't know how I can make more time to play more often in the fall/winter. Maybe try to play more golf and not be hungover. 🤢

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I don’t think I posted on here for this year and goals but I did accomplish a lot this season. My first under par round at -2. My GIR Numbers we’re consistently in double digits. Typically 12-13 per round. I had some long par streaks or better during rounds going 8-10 holes without a bogey several times. My ball striking has reached a level where I feel as though I may look at blades for the first time. My putting has been far more consistent.

I have done this by learning to control distance with approach shots. I’ve learned to flight my irons better this year. I’ve utilized the 3/4 punch shot more this season than ever. I’ve dialed in my wedge game. I’ve gotten to the point where I approach greens and hit the correct quadrant and I’m not just happy with on the green anymore. I’ve switched putting grips to the claw for this season and it’s significantly improved putting. 

I will set some goals next season but I’m using this as a chance to review the strides I’ve made this season as I’m pretty sure I failed to set goals formally for 2020.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

• Administrator

I'm going to post the 2021 Goals and 2020 Recap topics later today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My goal for 2021 is to have an inside out swing. Learn to shallow the club at top of the swing to promote a flatter angle of attack, using more lower body and an inside out swing.

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

3 minutes ago, khalespace said:

My goal for 2021 is to have an inside out swing.

Why? Is there a specific reason why you think having an in to out club path will help you shoot better scores? 

You do know that plenty of professional golfers have a club path that is out to in, including the most recent Masters champion Dustin Johnson, right?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, khalespace said:

My goal for 2021 is to have an inside out swing. Learn to shallow the club at top of the swing to promote a flatter angle of attack, using more lower body and an inside out swing.

Save it for the 2021 topic, please. It's literally the post right after this:

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm going to post the 2021 Goals and 2020 Recap topics later today.

Also, think about what @klineka said.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

The two new topics are up!

Post in those now. If you're still playing, of course, wait until closer to the end of the year to post in the recap topic.

• iacas unpinned and unfeatured this topic
Note: This thread is 1234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!