iacas

What Are Your 2020 Golf Goals?

60 posts / 5147 viewsLast Reply

Previously, I said my biggest goal was to get back in better physical shape. The good news is, my Orthopedist says I don't need surgery on either of my knees after hurting them in 3 falls. Strengthening the muscles in the legs should take care of things.

So, my immediate goal is to start walking 2 miles a day and do more exercises at home on a stationary bike. I started yesterday. What I can do at the gym will be something to learn about later today.

One of the more interesting aspects has to do with the irons I'm using, sort of a combination thought with my physical abilities. I had dinner with a teaching pro I'm friendly with and he commented that my height, (I'm 6'7"), coupled with my usual highly upright swing, I'd be better off swinging around myself with a set of one length irons.

We modified a set of Cobra F8 One Length irons to lengthen the 5-6-7 irons and then back weighted them to keep everything at D1. As I said elsewhere, I guess it makes them Two Length... I wonder if Cobra is interested in talking to me?

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I really need to play more golf. Due to illness last year I played about 3 rounds of golf :-(.

I spent a lot if time practicing although I struggled with the full swing due to my condition even looking at the Jim Venetos swing, it's viable, it stopped me from experiencing pain in the kidneys but knackered my left hip. A chat with a local pro got me sorted out and so far (touch wood) I'm hitting well with no kidney pain thanks to a more efficient (and less violent, pain inducing) swing (still think JV is good for certain golfers). Its a fade rather than a draw but i'll take it.

Short game is bob on and putting is good so a few more range sessions, wait for the weather to get better then i'm hoping to hit the courses hard this year.

My 6 yr old son got a new set for Christmas so we'll be out together a lot too i hope.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Improve my Stokes gained on approach to be consistent (or at least closer) with where my driving and putting are.  

If all of golf was driving and putting I would be a 3 handicap.  however, my approach game is that of a 13 handicap. 

Steps I'm taking to do so. 

1) Added a 3W to my bag.   hoping to utilize to approach the green or near the green in 2 on Par 5s. 
2) Significant amount of work on flighted wedges inside of 120 yds.  really need to be significantly better from 60-120.
3) full swing work never stops. 

1. Get a decent driver fitted to me

2. Learn how to hit that driver

3. Failing the first two, stop using the driver altogether no later than June 30.