IGNORED

Best Shot in Golf

iacas
Note: This thread is 1573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Best Shot in Golf  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What shot makes you happiest?

• A piped drive down the middle.
    • A pure long- or mid-iron.
    • A great chip shot (with or without that saucy spin, your choice).
    • A holed long putt path looks and feels in from the start.
    • A perfect green side bunker shot.
    • A flighted wedge or short iron that takes one hop and spins to a stop close to the hole.

I’d rather take the long/mid iron.  Even with a great drive, you can still miss the green and waste it, which feels worse.

Years ago I hit my longest drive ever.  I was in the middle of the fairway less than a hundred yards from the pin.  I was so stoked.  I ended with a double bogey.  Decades later I still can’t believe it happened.

The iron shot gives you a chance at a birdie.

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, 70sSanO said:

I’d rather take the long/mid iron.  Even with a great drive, you can still miss the green and waste it, which feels worse.

Maybe, but nothing in the poll indicated that the long/mid iron that you hit was you hitting the GIR.  Perhaps you "wasted" that iron shot opportunity by going 3 off the tee and now you hit that great iron shot on the green as your 4th shot. 

Recall the purpose (title) of the poll.  🙂

I took the putt. A few reasons, a one putt fixes a lot of earlier issues. I'm much more likely to accomplish that and lastly...at that point everybody is on the green and see's it go in. Very demoralizing for your opponents. They cant think you'll screw up the next shot 'cause its done.

2 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Maybe, but nothing in the poll indicated that the long/mid iron that you hit was you hitting the GIR.  Perhaps you "wasted" that iron shot opportunity by going 3 off the tee and now you hit that great iron shot on the green as your 4th shot. 

Recall the purpose (title) of the poll.  🙂

No offense, but if you’re laying 5 or 6, then none of the shots, (except the drive since hopefully it is your first stroke on the hole), will be the happiest for any reason.  Maybe relieved, but not one you’re bragging about.

The only real joy comes from scoring.  Maybe I incorrectly assumed that the shots to and around the green would lead to an eagle, birdie or par.  If it doesn’t, might as well be on the range.

I remember chip-ins, and long putts for birdies.  Can’t recall any for a triple.

John

2 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

No offense, but if you’re laying 5 or 6, then none of the shots, (except the drive since hopefully it is your first stroke on the hole), will be the happiest for any reason.  Maybe relieved, but not one you’re bragging about.

The only real joy comes from scoring.  Maybe I incorrectly assumed that the shots to and around the green would lead to an eagle, birdie or par.  If it doesn’t, might as well be on the range.

I remember chip-ins, and long putts for birdies.  Can’t recall any for a triple.

John

None of what you said is in the poll.  I'm not disagreeing with you, but you're changing the facts of the poll.  You're adding (assuming) facts that aren't presented.

44 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

None of what you said is in the poll.  I'm not disagreeing with you, but you're changing the facts of the poll.  You're adding (assuming) facts that aren't presented.

I bet you’re a real joy around holidays.

John

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing more satisfying (for me) than the feel of a flushed long iron and the sound of the ball flying off the face, especially on a long par-3 or 2nd shot into a par-5. 

Piped drive is a close second, because it's fun to hit the ball far, and there's usually a small audience on the tee box.

The other shots in the poll are more like necessary evils for me, although this could change as my game improves.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

While all of those have a "feel good" quality......

The wedge shot that stops for a tap in putt would have to be second with that long Putt that goes just right and drops in the cup is what gives that fist pump the most...…..

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

On 11/28/2019 at 8:43 AM, David in FL said:

I love that chippy little 70 yard hop and stop spinner.  Puts a smile on my face every time.

A result of being a short hitter who almost never reaches par-5’s, but plays with those who do.  There are more ways than one to make birdie.   ;-)

Hey David, what do you use to hit those?

Colin P.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:57 PM, GolfLug said:

Piped drive. It's all downhill after. Takes a total screw up to loose the hole from there. Usually.

Oh, I can mess that up.  I specialize in getting the ball within 40 feet in 2 on a par 5 only to end up with a bogey.

I will take the 180 yard 6-iron pure stroke with a slight draw any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

There is no comparison. It's all about the long ball. Booming a drive is far and a way the most satisfying shot in golf. 

There have been rounds where I hit my driver great all day, putted 44 times and carded something in the mid-90's. After the round I "feel" like I played okay.

There have been rounds where my driver was a hot mess, took 3 off the tee a half dozen times, never hit the fairway, possibly even dribbled a few off the teebox. But I putted 27 times and shot something in the mid-90's. After the round I "feel" like I played awful. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

52 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Hey David, what do you use to hit those?

Just a little gap wedge.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

I specialize in getting the ball within 40 feet in 2 on a par 5 only to end up with a bogey.

Without a good drive you would most possibly be worse off considering the same order of events, yes?

😊

For me, the idea is that not only a piped drive terribly fun, but it puts you in a great frame of mind and the best chance for a par or better. Without a good tee ball you end up playing defensively all the way. Most of the time..

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Without a good drive you would most possibly be worse off considering the same order of events, yes?

😊

For me, the idea is that not only a piped drive terribly fun, but it puts you in a great frame of mind and the best chance for a par or better. Without a good tee ball you end up playing defensively all the way. Most of the time..

I hear ya.  It sure feels wonderful to power that drive 285 yards down the center, or draw it around the trees in the shape of the fairway.  It is such an advantage to start the hole that way. But if I hook the sucker into the left rough hard, maybe 240 yards instead or worse yet, into the trees, I still have one or two opportunities to get to the green in regulation.

Naturally, a worse drive, out of bounds, is extremely bad.  But an approach shot into water is kinda the same thing.  When I screw up the approach, I just don't get up and down often enough.  And sometimes it's even worse with a skulled chip or something.  This is for me.  Experience has taught me that a strong drive is only Indiana Jones getting past those giant saw blades. He still has to walk over the invisible bridge and spell Jehova in Latin, and also not drink that death potion. But a GIR means the worst I can do is bogey.

Edited by Cantankerish
spelling

I voted for mid/long irons because that’s that’s the worst part of my game. I am sooooo tired of double bogeys from the fairway because of yet another horrible approach shot.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

A piped drive down the middle. Now I've got a PW onto the green, and that hole has birdie written on it now.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!