Jump to content
Osnola

Does The Ball Make Any Difference?

29 posts / 2170 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

In August I was given a box of Titliest Velocity balls.  I played 3 rounds with them and shot 85, 88, and 87.  The previous rounds played were played with Wilson Duo Soft and never broke 90.  The rounds since have been played with Wilson Duo Soft and have not broken 90.  Anyone else ever experience anything like this?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Its funny that if you think 'I putt so much better with a Pro V', that you'll actually putt better with a Pro V. Its almost like a golfing placebo affect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Osnola said:

In August I was given a box of Titliest Velocity balls.  I played 3 rounds with them and shot 85, 88, and 87.  The previous rounds played were played with Wilson Duo Soft and never broke 90.  The rounds since have been played with Wilson Duo Soft and have not broken 90.  Anyone else ever experience anything like this?  

 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

At your level, not much of a difference, no.

As you get better, more and more so.


And certainly not 6 strokes worth...at any level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Its funny that if you think 'I putt so much better with a Pro V', that you'll actually putt better with a Pro V. Its almost like a golfing placebo affect.

I think this idea has some validity. If you like what you are playing, for whatever reason, you may play better with it. For me, my ball preference is primarily based upon how it feels when I hit it. As to the OP's point, I tried a dozen of the Wilson Duo SPIN balls. The packaging advertised them as the "softest multi-layer ball available". 

And they are soft. The problem is the damned things wouldn't go anywhere! I'd pull the club for the yardage and conditions, the shot would take off just fine, then the ball would fall out of the sky like a shot duck! I say just play the ball you like for the feel and how it behaves, and if it fits your budget.

I wish the TM TP5 fit my budget, but they are as expensive as Pro-V's. I found a brand new one last year, and it is the best feeling, most responsive ball I've played in a long time. Ever notice how so many of the higher priced balls you find out there are in really good condition? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Duo-Softs have a propensity for going sideways...if you give them a good old whack.  Maybe they mash too much...don't know but it seems likely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My suggestion: Find a quality 3 piece ball and buy a several boxes of them on sale. Check for Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

Srixon Z-Star

Taylormade Project-a

Titleist Velocity

Callaway Chromesoft 

Edited by DrvFrShow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe a hard ball suits better with your game. I played with that ball and it goes a mile! If you can manage your touch around the green it can benefit your scores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, iacas said:

At your level, not much of a difference, no.

As you get better, more and more so.

I dont understand this answer.  When I started back, a friend suggested 'Noodles' and those are a decent ball, goes straight, and priced where a 20+ could afford to lose several during a round.  I was needing more tho as they have little touch on second shots or close chipping.  A good ball for the $$

I found a 'Supersoft' one day and played it 16 holes and was amazed at the difference even a mid-high handicapper could experience.  I was immediately sold on this (actually several year old model ball that is not the latest greatest $40 ball) ball with theaction it produced;  15-20 yards off the tee straight, second shot feel that stuck, and even a softer putt.  I am still using this intermediately priced ball, I just don't see an improvement with the pro-v or the TM, I can't keep them from tailing off a little on tee shots.  Now some of this could be improvement from time on course but I could immediately feel a difference.

I'm not improving so much with the numbers yet but I am shaping my game to a round with potential (and by that I mean lower mid 80s), or a round that strays if penalties come into play.  And the ball had significant input for this mid-capper, one that is at that break 90 level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I think this idea has some validity. If you like what you are playing, for whatever reason, you may play better with it. For me, my ball preference is primarily based upon how it feels when I hit it. As to the OP's point, I tried a dozen of the Wilson Duo SPIN balls. The packaging advertised them as the "softest multi-layer ball available". 

And they are soft. The problem is the damned things wouldn't go anywhere! I'd pull the club for the yardage and conditions, the shot would take off just fine, then the ball would fall out of the sky like a shot duck! I say just play the ball you like for the feel and how it behaves, and if it fits your budget.

I wish the TM TP5 fit my budget, but they are as expensive as Pro-V's. I found a brand new one last year, and it is the best feeling, most responsive ball I've played in a long time. Ever notice how so many of the higher priced balls you find out there are in really good condition? 

I agree.  I used to play Pro V1x but have switched to TP5x a few years ago and have not gone back.  

As to the OP's point, I tend to agree with @Papa Steve 55 being a placebo effect.  I think it has more to do with the confidence you have, which leads to a better swing/results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, burr said:

I dont understand this answer.

Why?

A 20 handicapper will not notice as much of a difference in the ball as a 2 handicapper, nor will the 20 be able to take advantage of what a better ball offers nearly as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

My suggestion: Find a quality 3 piece ball and buy a several boxes of them on sale. Check for Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

Srixon Z-Star

Taylormade Project-a

Titleist Velocity

Callaway Chromesoft 

Is the Velocity even a 3 piece ball? Whatever it is, it's massively overpriced.

Edit: I guess I'm trying to say that the Velocity is a crap ball.

Edited by colin007
Forgot something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Is the Velocity even a 3 piece ball? Whatever it is, it's massively overpriced.

Edit: I guess I'm trying to say that the Velocity is a crap ball.

 

I do agree that the Velocity is probably overpriced.  Not sure I will go back to it but need to find a ball that is a bit firmer.  I seemed to hit it ok but didn’t like the way it felt on full shots off the irons. I don’t loose a lot of balls (2 or 3 a round) but just don’t want to spend $45 for a dozen balls.  I’m gonna be 71 in a couple of months but still hit the ball decent. If I practiced and played more could probably get better. I play once a week and maybe go to the range 1 time a month. It’s not that I don’t want to play or practice more it is just that available course is not real close ...not excuse, just fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Osnola said:

I do agree that the Velocity is probably overpriced.  Not sure I will go back to it but need to find a ball that is a bit firmer.  I seemed to hit it ok but didn’t like the way it felt on full shots off the irons. I don’t loose a lot of balls (2 or 3 a round) but just don’t want to spend $45 for a dozen balls.  I’m gonna be 71 in a couple of months but still hit the ball decent. If I practiced and played more could probably get better. I play once a week and maybe go to the range 1 time a month. It’s not that I don’t want to play or practice more it is just that available course is not real close ...not excuse, just fact. 

Try the Snell MTB black. Great ball and just $32.99/doz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Back when I first started golf, I took lessons at a resort course and they had trash bins full of lost balls. I took hundreds of them over the year that I practiced there - assorted brands/model but all in like new condition - mostly Titleist, Callaway and TM.  I have been playing with those balls since the beginning and my handicap has dropped steadily from 20+ to single digit in 3 years. I don’t think the balls were the reason for my improvements and I have yet to spend a $1 on a new ball (and I still have enough to last at least another season). That said, I think golf is also a mental game and if the ball makes you feel good about your game, then it makes a difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Knock yourself out...

https://golf-info-guide.com/golf-ball-tests-and-reviews/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt5GIjNCQ5gIVjtdkCh3IpgBNEAMYASAAEgIDvvD_BwE

http://www.golfballtest.org/

Search for chart on the Golf Ball Test website.

I won't pretend to be able to explain all the voodoo behind golf ball compression, cover, and 2, 3, 4, etc.piece balls.  Maybe you can glean something from the above sites that will give you an idea what you want to try.  But, get the cheapest one that you like the best.  Losing 2-3 balls a round is not conducive to expensive golf balls.  No one here can tell you what to use because at your level it is all personal preference.

I used to use Top Flite D2+ Feel, but I tried Srixon Soft Feel and liked them better.  I gave our sons my extra boxes Top Flites.  At my level, I could hit 1,000,000 shots and there would be no difference between the two.  The real difference is located between the ears.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

if the ball makes you feel good about your game, then it makes a difference. 

As a mid to high handicap, I think this speaks volumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2020 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • So with it being the offseason still, I find myself reading and watching a lot of topics on the sport. Lately i came across Scott Fawcett and his strategy for teebox decisions. YouTube has a few videos of his but basically, for people who drive it over 270 pretty consistently, gameplanning should consider any trouble that is within a 70 yard dispersion. Now I already have gamegolf so i can see some dispersion patterns but I obviously dont tag the shots where I completely lose a ball so data is missing. I decided to go to a sim bay using a GCQuad and did a 15 shot driver test. In the end I averaged 268 off the tee in total distance. However off those 15 shots....3 were massive misses of 45, 52, and 60 yards offline. In real life at my home course and most trees courses I play those are lost balls with bad penalties applied. They would only be slightly salvageable at a course with adjacent fairways really. I would say when you look at my gamegolf rounds, the GCQuad result of 3/15 being lost/OB is accurate. So it made me start wondering as someone who has read LSW and Every Stroke Counts and understands advancing the ball far but safely.....how wide of dispersion is considered unusable for a driver? Until my swing improved would I be better off statistically going down to my 16* mini driver or just 21* hybrid? ( next time I do the simulator I was going to do dispersion tests for those)
    • While it may seem like a good idea, you can't just "factory reset" your swing. Better to just focus on a priority and make that better. Rather than trying to achieve a certain kind of swing, just improve on what you currently have.
    • OK -  let me make one final post on this as this horse is well and truly beaten. Just so that I'm fully clear on where you stand in the context of this particular discussion.  Please indulge me. 1. What they DID matters. 2. Why we THINK they did it doesn't matter. 3. Your (and my) opinion of what they did or why they did it is irrelevant 4. The only relevant discussion is the penalty for the infringement. 5. A person's opinion of the character any of the people under discussion has nothing to do with the thread. 6. Anything beyond that is essentially moot. Is that a fair summation?  
    • Not true. Then the conversation ends there, as one cannot suspend a player based on what you think they were thinking.
    • The video evidence is conclusive, I believe, but I understand the semantics of the notion of "proof". I get that. Yep  - I am assuming intent and I fully believe that they intended to cheat. I could not prove it in court and my prejudice may mean that they would have a field day with me in court. I don;t want to be  Suffice to say that it is obvious to many that they both deliberately and blatantly cheated - but you cannot prove intent because you can't prove what someone thought. I am not going to assume that you are playing the devil's advocate or simply  trying not to prove something unprovable or making a philosophical point - I get that you are basically coming down on the side of what can or cannot be reasonably assumed. And that is more than reasonable. I am happy to be o the side of Peter Kostis, Brooks Koepka, Cam Smith and presumably many others. And yes.....I get that your critique of my position applies equally to them. And that is perfectly fair.      
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Catcher20
      Catcher20
      (30 years old)
    2. JD15
      JD15
      (55 years old)
    3. Stixman
      Stixman
      (75 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...