Jump to content

23 posts / 2169 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Blue Lizard sunscreen, wide brimmed hat, solar sleeves. Also, I play as early as I can to avoid the most intense sun.

Edited by Sandy Divot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I married into a fair skinned family of Irish-descent, who burn instantly in the slightest hint of sunlight, so I’ve had sun protection sense repeatedly beat into me by my wife and MIL

I always wear lightweight long pants, long sleeves or mineral sunscreen on my arms if short sleeved, and the biggest, dorkiest, wise-brimmed sun hat you can imagine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, birdie seeker said:

What do you use for sun protection?

Although I love @billchao’s response, in season I use Coppertone Sport 50 spf spray. It is sweat resistant, not greasy and will last a round for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love this thread.  It's like bringing up the Winter Depression thread in the middle of summer.  Although I suppose we could all meet next week for a round of golf in Mexico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I love this thread.  It's like bringing up the Winter Depression thread in the middle of summer.  Although I suppose we could all meet next week for a round of golf in Mexico.

Or Houston... it’s sunny and 60s and 70s for the next week or so:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

Blue Lizard sunscreen, wide brimmed hat, solar sleeves. Also, I play as early as I can to avoid the most intense sun.

The Blue Lizard is great. I also use a reflective umbrella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This reminds me, next week is my yearly skin Doctor appointment.  Once a year I go and see if he needs to burn anything off me.  I don’t use sunscreen, I have him instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

This reminds me, next week is my yearly skin Doctor appointment.  Once a year I go and see if he needs to burn anything off me.  I don’t use sunscreen, I have him instead.

This had been my story in the past, seeing a dermatologist the last two years but the last year I bought the arm sleeves and am using them too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

This reminds me, next week is my yearly skin Doctor appointment.  Once a year I go and see if he needs to burn anything off me.  I don’t use sunscreen, I have him instead.

It started with skin cancer with my dad.  it progressed.  Today I can no longer play golf with my Dad.

Protect your skin

2 hours ago, criley4way said:

The Blue Lizard is great. I also use a reflective umbrella

What type of reflective umbrella?  I have been looking at those and wondering how they work and if they are effective.  Please share

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don’t forget to put sunblock in your ears. My husband has plenty of patients with skin cancer who are/were golfers and they wear sunscreen everywhere but their ears. Also on their head (those with visors) and on the shin (those who wore shorts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wide brimmed hat, solar sleeves, sunscreen (SPF 50) on any exposed areas, long pants as weather permits (typically October through June).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bucket hat, SPF50 (quite often the kids stuff!) and it also helps playing in the UK where we are lucky if we see the sun at all at times :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/4/2019 at 8:59 PM, boogielicious said:

Although I love @billchao’s response, in season I use Coppertone Sport 50 spf spray. It is sweat resistant, not greasy and will last a round for me.

Ditto.

Although, when I play in Vegas or other arid places, I use a SPF 60 or better cream on my ears and nose. I also reapply at the turn.

10 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

Don’t forget to put sunblock in your ears. My husband has plenty of patients with skin cancer who are/were golfers and they wear sunscreen everywhere but their ears. Also on their head (those with visors) and on the shin (those who wore shorts).

I read an article in a golf magazine a few years ago stating that ears and calves were the most common places for male golfers to get skin cancer. So, I'm always careful to apply sunscreen to those locals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I read an article in a golf magazine a few years ago stating that ears and calves were the most common places for male golfers to get skin cancer. So, I'm always careful to apply sunscreen to those locals. 

Yes, better to be safe than sorry. Don’t forget to reapply every 90 mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, FlyingAce said:

Yes, better to be safe than sorry. Don’t forget to reapply every 90 mins.

Every 90 minutes? So, is that every other shot for Bryson Dechambeau?

…..I'm sorry, that was a cheap shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...