IGNORED

Correlation Between Pace of Play and Unpacking Clubs in Parking Lot

Double Mocha Man
Note: This thread is 1582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

50 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Personally, I'm a put my shoes on before I leave the house kind of guy. 

God bless soft spikes!

"But officer, if you write me a ticket I'll stomp you with these sharp, metal spikes."  And you'll have to get your shift Sargeant to repair the spike marks.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

22 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

😂😂😂

Yelling won’t work. I am pretty sure they are hard of hearing and have bad eyesight since they never hear carts pulling up behind them, nor see that the group in front is 4+ holes ahead...

Then trying hitting into them to send a message they'll get.🤣😁

You did say you can hit a drive 220 yards.😋

It's a shame that it seems like you have a lot of tools/fools who are members at your club.

If one is at the first tee on time, who cares how much time they spend in the parking lot?

FWIW, I like to arrive around 45-60 mins. Early so I can warm up and stretch. But that’s just me. I play with several people who are drive up load the cart and go to the 1st tee guys. None of them play slow.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all. 🙂

Edited by ssbn611

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

I am of the opinion that what ever speed a golfer plays at, is going to be the same speed they do everything else in their life.

Different folks move at different speeds, which i relate to a person's individual genetics. It's their own timing factor, or comfort zone if you will. 

Edited by Patch
  • Like 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ssbn611 said:

If one is at the first tee on time, who cares how much time they spend in the parking lot?

FWIW, I like to arrive around 45-60 mins. Early so I can warm up and stretch. But that’s just me. I play with several people who are drive up load the cart and go to the 1st tee guys. None of them play slow.

Perhaps there are bimodal golfers... slow in the parking lot and faster on the course.  My question asked if slow in the parking lot carries over behavior-wise onto the course.

3 hours ago, ssbn611 said:

I put my shoes on before I get to the course (usually in the car on the way there). It takes me 5 min to get ready but I also arrive at least 30-45 min early. I am a slow player over the ball ( I have a deliberate pre-shot routine and will back off if I don't "feel right over the ball". But between shots I am walking to the next shot. I will laser my distance while my partner is playing and will try and pull a club before they are finished. I can and have played in just over 3 hrs walking, in a 4-some waiting on 2 tees.

True’s on the feet, golf bag and push cart in trunk. 5 Minutes to get to the club house and pay. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

The fast one in the parking lot may be late for thier tee time and in general is not puctual.  That may be a slow player who doesn't care about be punctual when it comes to pace of play also.

The slow one in the lot might be there 40 minutes before the tee time, and is very concious of punctuality.  That person would probably be concious of pace of play also.

No conclusions can be reached imo.

Edited by No Mulligans
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

Right on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You know, I’ve rethought this...

I’m not necessarily slow getting ready, but I am thorough and deliberate.  By the time I get to the first tee I’m ready to play golf.  My bag/cart is the way I want it.  There’s ice in the cooler and cups of water in the cup holders.  I have my tees, ball marks and repair tool in my right pocket, my towel is wet on half, and my glove(s) are ready.  I’ve warmed up on the range, putted, put on sunscreeen, and if need be stopped by the restroom.  Handicaps are verified and scorecards are prepared for the game(s) with strokes marked where they fall.

If someone were watching me they could easily think that there’s no way they want to follow this OCD asshole.  But, once we hit the tee box, we’re freaking GONE.  

So yeah.  Deliberate preparation before the round doesn’t necessarily correlate to slow play.  In fact, it could actually indicate the opposite.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 12/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, No Mulligans said:

The fast one in the parking lot may be late for thier tee time and in general is not puctual.  That may be a slow player who doesn't care about be punctual when it comes to pace of play also.

The slow one in the lot might be there 40 minutes before the tee time, and is very concious of punctuality.  That person would probably be concious of pace of play also.

I try to arrive about an hour prior to my tee time.  I do fuss some before the tee time in making sure I'm ready to play.  Things like having a wet towel, GPS is on and correctly set, Balls are marked, loosened some old muscles on the range, etc.  But I do it so I am ready to play and not screwing around on the course with stuff I should have already completed. On the course I try to be ready when it is my turn and use my time between shots getting ready for the next shot.  On the other hand, I make it a point to not feel "rushed" on the course, I try to be efficient when it is my turn, but not feel hurried.  So, IMO, being fussy and taking some time to prepare prior to your tee time, doesn't indicate one is a slow player on the course.  It also doesn't indicate they are not a slow player.  I suspect there is no correlation at all.

Butch

Pace of play is my biggest on-course concern. I don’t care how long someone takes to get to the pro shop, I only want people to be considerate on the course. I walk and understand that some who take carts need them, but having worked on a course I can say that walkers play faster generally - one person goes to one ball... but the real slowdown comes from too many trips to the back of a cart. Hit a club, hold that club while riding, then change for the next club after arriving at the ball. There! I just saved you almost 90 trips to the back of the cart! Well, not really 90, but, truthfully, what’s so hard about reducing the number of times one puts clubs in and takes them out? After I hit a shot, I carry the club in my hand (and bag on my shoulder) until I’ve gotten to my ball for the next shot. As I walk up to the ball, I’ve checked yardage (by eye), wind, course conditions (wet/dry, soft/fast/topography) and have decided on club selection. It’s not that hard or does it have to take fa-friggin-eveh! But in a cart, no one seems to do anything but drive/ride/talk - anything but think about the next shot. I can walk the 18 in a comfortable 2½ hrs, so why should it take 4½ - 5 hrs in a cart? If one is healthy enough, get outta the damn cart and walk (if it’s allowed, of course). Alternately, just put one little thought in your head, “Pace. Of. Play.” 

On 12/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, No Mulligans said:

This is a point. I like to get to the course about an hour before tee time and just "ease my way" into the round.I despise having to rush!  My buddy's Son will usually come roaring into the lot about 5 minutes early! Which is not early! 

However, that's not the only reason to take time. I'm now 67 years old and notice that it takes a whole lot more stuff to get me through a round these days. Back in the day I'd get home from work, shower, change, throw the carry bag in the trunk and head to Mill Creek. I'd carry 3 balls and maybe a dozen tees. No water, as bottled water was unknown at the time, and I hadn't eaten since lunch if I ate at all.  We're talking 45 years ago! I was in my early 20's and was an iron man! 

Nowadays, I have a soft cooler in which I carry a couple of frozen plastic gizmos, several fruit and nut bars, some peanut butter crackers, maybe a sandwich, and a couple bottles of water. For earlier tee times in cooler times of the year, I've been known to pack a thermos of coffee and a travel mug! 

I’d much rather see somebody take their time at the car and be ready when they get to the first tee. I think we all know the frustration of watching the group in front of you come hauling up to the first tee and only then begin to go thru their bag getting their tees, balls, glove, marker, etc together. It’s usually the same group that waits till they get on the tee box to start stretching & warming up.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I get to the course 30-45 minutes before my tee time. Get my bag out of the car, carry it to the clubhouse, pay my green fee, put bag on cart, practice putting , go to tee box, hit ball, keep up with group in front of me. Sometimes they are fast, sometimes they are slow. I don’t worry about how long it takes to play unless I’m holding someone up.

I'm old, OCD and very methodical. Recognize speed of play so make a few decisions to not slow down the strangers I'm often with:

-Bring my push cart with me, when looking for a "probably" lost ball. Not walking 50 yards back to a club and another 50 back to the ball (and if I find myself a ways away-drop my hat at the ball so its not lost again) I have a habit of following others ball trajectory and if feasible let them know where it is. If in my walking line to my ball, I will look for others balls.

-play ready golf-I usually get to the next tee well ahead of playing partners. I play the whites...I see no point waiting for 20 cappers to hit off the tips, waiting for the green to clear, on a 400 + yard course. I can't stop people who want to play from any tee box and whose shot shape is one or two fairways left or right.

-Get there early enough to do what I need to do-I play with guys who are singles , in power carts, who bring a small bar with them, ice , shaker,-drink martini's all round, and never slow down place of play. They are ready to play at start time.

-mark my ball or play a color-I know what ball I'm playing-many don't

I ride a motorcycle so my push cart waits for me near the first tee. So as soon as i turn the engine off i´m already walking away from my bike. I walk and play fast around the greens, on long shots i take my 40 seconds to do the numbers and address to the ball properly. 

Note: This thread is 1582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!